E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Thumbs Up Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars arrived and Installed! WOW!!!

After snapping the ARB brackets twice I decided to go a step ahead and get a complete ARB set (Front + Rear). Also, the addition of the S/C made me drive more spirited than usual hense the requirement for better road stability, and reduced body roll. After a lot of research, I ended getting the Hotchkis Sport Sway Bar Kit, with rear endlinks and adjustable stiffness. Initial impression is WOW. Very well packed from factory, power coated bars, grease, manual, parts list to make sure you don't miss anything, adapter plates etc.

From the manufacturer:
Quote:
H Sport has significantly increased the handling performance of the E46 with the addition of our Tubular Sway Bar Set. Bar diameters are 30mm front and 25mm rear. Both are adjustable for fine tuning with the front being 3 position and the rear 2 position. H Sport utilizes special adaptor plates for the rear bushing brackets which allow the use of a standard bushing brackets instead of having to struggle with the oe 'tabbed' brackets. This benefit allows for a zerk fitting and additional strength over the rear subframe. Perfect for street or track days, the set comes complete with front and rear black powdercoated bars,rear end links, polyurethane bushings, bushing brackets and zerk fittings for easy occasional lube.
Specs:
Front 30.2mm (1 3/16") Hollow
3 Way Adjustable
Stiffness over stock 04 330ci Sport
+31%,+51%,+77%
Rear 25.4mm (1") Hollow
2 way Adjustable
Stiffness over stock 04 330ci Sport
+138%,+171%

Bar Rates lbs/in (Not Wheel Rate)
Front:
470 lbs/in.
540 lbs/in.
630 lbs/in.

Rear:
475 lbs/in.
540 lbs/in.
I kept this picture to make a comparison of what is advertised and what is actually delivered. No difference at all!

And here is what the UPS delivered: :wink:

Very good packing!! Nothing moved!

mmmm Thick bars!

Manual and parts list

Front bar, 3-way adjustable

Don't like stickers but where this is going, nobody will see it.

Rear Bar - 2 Way adjustable

I was planning to do the install over the weekend but I managed to squeeze 3 hours of "lunch break" to do the install today

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
koven

My Ride: 330Ci
very nice.. post a review after u install it!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
very nice, im still deciding between H&R and these, can anyone think of the differences, Such a weird name, where are they made.
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
Transporter99

My Ride: Audi A5 3.2/6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
very nice, im still deciding between H&R and these, can anyone think of the differences, Such a weird name, where are they made.
I'm sure there are some similarities. Probably just thickness differences, though I'm no sway expert.

Hotchkis made a reputation making suspension parts for muscle cars. Only within recent time did the get into the sport compact & euro scenes.

And for anyone that watched Sports Car Revolution when it was on TV, they were big fans of Hotchkis suspension parts.

For sways & springs, it's hard to bet against Hotchkis, imho.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
chnzgoofball

My Ride: 04 325CI STEP
Send a message via AIM to chnzgoofball Send a message via Yahoo to chnzgoofball
nice! i had mines for about 2 weeks now and i love it!

JL Audio CleanSweep, JL Audio Mono 1000w Amp, JL Audio W6 v2 12in Sub, MB Quarts 6 1/2 components front, Polk Audio 6 1/2 Coaxial Rears, Lanzar 4ch 1200w Amp, K&N Drop in Air Filter, Black out grill/reflectors, 35% Tint fronts, F2 Coilovers, Hotchkis Swaybars, ECS Tuning 5mm Spacers, BF Goodies T/A KDW, UUC SS Brake lines, ATE Super Blue
chnzgoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
InLoveWithE46

My Ride: e46 non-M, e36 ///M
Send a message via AIM to InLoveWithE46
Congrats on the buy. You will LOVE them. I installed Hotchkis about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier. Handling is much tighter and feel much less roll on high speed turns. If you haven't already done so I would advise changing the end links, mine broke because the sway bars were too strong, plus if you get the adjustable end links you can not only adjust rear but fronts. Good luck with install!
InLoveWithE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLoveWithE46 View Post
Congrats on the buy. You will LOVE them. I installed Hotchkis about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier. Handling is much tighter and feel much less roll on high speed turns. If you haven't already done so I would advise changing the end links, mine broke because the sway bars were too strong, plus if you get the adjustable end links you can not only adjust rear but fronts. Good luck with install!
Do I have to get endlinks too? If so, for F and R? I thought the Hotchkis kit include endlinks! I have a set at home I bought 3months ago and have been dreading to install - guess I will have to pay someone to do it. If getting NEW endlinks, any recommendations out there? Will OEM (M3 or 330)ones work? Still on that, do I need an alignment afterwards?
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
paraklas

Hotchkis Sport ARB Install

Front Stock ARB

Endlink connection

The dreaded brackets that break all the time with the -now gone- powerflex bushes

Install was very easy for the front one. Just remove the brackets, disconnect the endlinks and replace with new ARB. I set it to the softest mode as the manual suggests, but I will change it later on when I have time to test the handling characteristics.

The PS hose was too close so we pushed it a bit out of the way.

New bracket in place with greased bush

Endlink connected at softest setting

Now the rears were a bit more challenging to install. Had to drop the exhaust from the rear mounts to allow some extra space. Just a ratchet with an extension did the job.

YESSSS No subframe damage!!!!

Left is OEM Vs new bolts

Rear ARB brackets removed

Rear ARB removed with the endlinks & brackets still attached to it. A 17mm open wrench was needed to hold the bolt's head on the upper side of the control arm.

Removing rear exhaust mounts to drop the exhaust a bit. Hotchkis doesn't mention this but my mechanic doesn't like following printed instructions blindly.

Testing the new endlinks with the OEM brackets

Securing them in place. We had to adjust the endlinks to lengthen a bit because the bar was touching the rear axles.

Installing the brackets with the PU bushes. The OEM brackets are held in place by a single bolt, the Hotchkis has 2 bolts and a massive aluminum reinforcement plate to hold the bar in place.

Adjusting endlinks to clear axle, screwing the exhaust back in place and DONE. Total time around 2 hours (10 minutes for fronts and 110 minutes for rear)

Old stuff in trunk to go in storage

Now, from the second the car touched the floor, the difference was noticeable. I will reserve my opinions once I manage to test the new setup in varying roads/conditions.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
sweet, so how much did it cost you, where are these made
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
rellik

My Ride: is too slow...
wow bro. nice string of PICS. another great addtion from a fellow fanatic. anyone on the planet thinking about this set up for their BMW will be well served by looking at this post. nice work.
Sport, Cold Weather and Premium Packages * Dinan TCAI * Dinan Stage II engine software * Dinan performance tranny software * UUC TSE3 * ///M3 Steering wheel * ///M3 lip spoiler * UUC Slotted Front Rotors * Powerflex FCAB's * KONI FSD's * UUC StrutBarbarian * 35% tint * OEM (ULO) clears * 5000k bulbs * NGK Iridiums * Stewart WP * Delmarco's Bluetooth retrofit * LED Angel Eyes * 3K HID Fogs * USA Spec
rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
Congrats! Helpful install write up as well.

ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #12
paraklas

Quote:
sweet, so how much did it cost you, where are these made
$380.00 from ebay
The seller also has a website which sells www.lightningforceperformance.com

I don't see any Made in.. but on the box it has date 10/08/2008 from an address in Santa Fe Springs, CA. I assume they are made in USA? I guess a call to hotchkis will solve this question.

Thanks for the comments
Old 10-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #13
UTL1098

My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
I bought mine from the same seller on eBay. And I believe the stickers were only for reference when installing them. Nice write up! I love mine.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #14
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
if this is you after the softest setting:
this will be you at the intermediate setting:
and at the tightest setting:

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:43 AM   #15
UTL1098

I am pretty sure they are made in the US, and I believe the main difference is that they are tubular.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #16
paraklas

Rear endlinks are included in the kit.

No you don't need an alignment

You don't need to remove wheels, you don't even need jack stands. 2 good ramps and you are good to go.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #17
UTL1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
Do I have to get endlinks too? If so, for F and R? I thought the Hotchkis kit include endlinks! I have a set at home I bought 3months ago and have been dreading to install - guess I will have to pay someone to do it. If getting NEW endlinks, any recommendations out there? Will OEM (M3 or 330)ones work? Still on that, do I need an alignment afterwards?
^What he said. You may want to unbolt the rear muffler to make the rear install easier, but I think you can handle it.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #18
cbmw

My Ride: 323ci
excuse me for my ignorance but what exactly does these sway bars do?
cbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #19
Toxic0n

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Reduce body roll when cornering. Hence, "anti-roll bars" (ARB)

Ground Control Street/School coilovers, 19" HRE 441R wheels, ACS exhaust
2DIN touchscreen carputer, Bimmian CF E-brake handle, Titanium CF Trim, Illuminated ZHP knob, BMW Performance SSK, 2-way Compustar
Clear turn signals, LED license plate lights, LED tails, 3000k HID fogs, angel eyes, matte grills, CF Emblems etc
Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:08 AM   #20
Dannyncc

My Ride: Aw m3
Send a message via ICQ to Dannyncc Send a message via AIM to Dannyncc Send a message via MSN to Dannyncc Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyncc Send a message via Skype™ to Dannyncc
Front end link use OEM right?