E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
stlnation

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330XI
Import a CSL???

Has anyone ever imported a CSL from the UK? I have seen people import nissan skylines.. figure it could be done with a csl all the same?
stlnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
funkedelic

My Ride: 2001 LSB ///M3
nope not possible
Old 11-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
Onurleft

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkedelic View Post
nope not possible
It's extremely possible and can be done very easily...seeing you have connections and money to do it. It's no harder to get federalized than an R34 or a TVR Tuscan...There are several JDM and rare euro cars around Atlanta that are tagged and titled. The myth behind the CSL is they are still selling used for 60k U.S. Do you want to pay $60,000+ for a used E46 smg and another 5 grand to get it here...Nah.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Mahjik

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Send a message via ICQ to Mahjik Send a message via AIM to Mahjik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onurleft View Post
There are several JDM and rare euro cars around Atlanta that are tagged and titled.
Local and federal laws are two different things. Just because you can get something titled in your area doesn't necessarily make it legal with federal/DOT laws. This is why "titled" JDM cars in some areas like California have been seized and crushed.

Basically, the legal way to do it is to get BMW to create a document which demonstrates that the CSL has the same safety and other DOT requirements as the standard E46 M3...... or crash a few for DOT tests.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Local and federal laws are two different things. Just because you can get something titled in your area doesn't necessarily make it legal with federal/DOT laws. This is why "titled" JDM cars in some areas like California have been seized and crushed.

Basically, the legal way to do it is to get BMW to create a document which demonstrates that the CSL has the same safety and other DOT requirements as the standard E46 M3...... or crash a few for DOT tests.
exactly, and since its the same car essentially, and passes stricter emissions, its very possible.

remember guys, the reason BMW never brought it here is because of what it would cost. it simply wasnt worth it for them to try to sell a $100k + M3, in a market where one of the biggest marketing factors for a car is number
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Mahjik

I don't think a lot of you guys have really looked into this... Some info for those thinking about old loop hole about bring it over as an "offroad only" car, as the rules have changed:

Quote:
From the NHTSA (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...ng/Racing.html):

The following sets forth the requirements for a vehicle to be imported as a racing vehicle. A vehicle that was originally manufactured as a racing vehicle can be declared as an off-road vehicle under Box 8 on the HS-7 Declaration form that is to be furnished to the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection (Customs) at time of importation. Such a vehicle can be permanently imported into the United States. A motor vehicle that was not originally manufactured as a racing vehicle can only be imported on a temporary basis under Box 7 on the HS-7 Declaration form. The importer must obtain a letter of permission from NHTSA to import a vehicle on that basis. To obtain such a letter, the vehicle must be in full racing configuration at the time of importation and lack features associated with safe and practical public road use. Determinations are based on the capability of the vehicle to be used on public roads, not its intended use.

REQUIREMENTS

To import a racing vehicle into the United States on a permanent basis, you must:

Obtain from the vehicle's original manufacturer a letter stating that the vehicle was originally manufactured as a racing vehicle.

File with Customs, upon entry, an HS-7 Declaration form on which Box 8 is checked, indicating that the vehicle was not manufactured primarily for use on the public roads, and is therefore not a motor vehicle subject to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper, and Theft Protection Standards.

Attach a copy of the manufacturer's letter to the HS-7 Declaration form that you furnish to Customs.

To import a motor vehicle into the United States on a temporary basis for racing purposes, you must:

Apply to NHTSA for a letter granting you permission to import the vehicle on a temporary basis. For that purpose, you should use the application form posted on this website.

File with Customs, upon entry, an HS-7 Declaration form on which Box 7 is checked, indicating that the motor vehicle does not comply with all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper, and Theft Prevention Standards, but is being imported solely for the purpose of competitive racing events.

Attach a copy of the NHTSA permission letter to the HS-7 Declaration form that you furnish to Customs.

To obtain such a permission letter from NHTSA, you must submit to the agency the following information in the order stated:

1. Importer's name, address, and daytime phone number.
  2. Customs broker's name, contact, and phone number.
  3. Vehicle information (make, model, model year, and VIN or identifying number).
  4. A list of the racing features of the vehicle.
  5. A list of the features lacking that are needed for use of the vehicle on public roads.
  6. Photographs showing the following views: front, rear, side, and interior. Racing features and/or features lacking for on-road use on public roads should be shown in the photographs.
  7. The name of the sanctioning body and competition class.
  8. Previous race history of the vehicle (if any).
  9. Schedule of racing events, including dates and locations where vehicle will compete (if any).
  10. Copy of the competition-racing license of the importer (if any).
Permission to import a motor vehicle temporarily is granted in annual increments for up to three years if duty is not paid, or for up to five years if duty is paid. No later than 30 days after the expiration of the period for which permission is granted, the vehicle must be either exported from the United States or destroyed.

RESTRICTION FOR REGISTRATION AND LICENSING

A racing vehicle may not be registered or licensed for on-road use. A vehicle allowed entry for racing purposes cannot subsequently be converted for use on public roads.
As for the "kit car" route, that doesn't work anymore either. Kaizo and others like it are highly illegal. Basically, if a manufacturer built the chassis and the engine, it's not a kit car. i.e. for the people taking apart Skylines and assembling them here in the USA (like Kaizo does), it's still a Skyline not a kit car.

Like I mentioned, you may get such a thing titled in some states but that doesn't make it federally legal.

Last edited by Mahjik; 11-17-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
Onurleft

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post

This is true. However, this can all be gotten away with very easily is Ga.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
Mahjik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onurleft View Post
This is true. However, this can all be gotten away with very easily is Ga.
There are several states where it can be "gotten away with". The question is: is it really worth it? You (or someone) could spend a lot of money to bring something over that eventually gets confiscated.... and there's no getting your money back...

The VIN numbers are also calculated by region (i.e. a UK VIN does not match up to a USA VIN). So if you need a load to be able to purchase the car, if the VIN doesn't pass the filter most credit agencies will not process the loan. In some areas, this is the same for getting insurance and the car registered (just talk to the Lotus Elise owners who had to deal with this when the car first came out and their VIN decoding was not in any of the systems yet in the USA). Even the Noble guys have an interesting time getting their cars registered and even that depends on the state they live.

I've seen people talk about this kind of stuff for years since I also own a RX-7 and people have dreamed about importing the last model made the 2002 Spirit R. Someone did get one into the states however I've never heard of it getting titled (or where it's hidden at currently). Some others have gotten a few non-US RX-7's here in the USA (by way of Canada) and gotten them titled in their area. Most likely nothing will ever happen to them but you need to ask yourself:

1. Do have I have the money to make it happen?
2. Why would I need to bother when there are so many "similar" cars available here in the USA?

Heck, if you are going to import and use something illegally at least make it something that isn't remotely sold here in the USA (something like a TVR Sagaris which hopefully will be US legal here soon).

Last edited by Mahjik; 11-18-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
nothing is impossible... if you've got the $, there are ways
Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
agreed. If you have the funds it can be done. Or just convert a standard E46 ///M into one. You can source the parts necessary to do this.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #11
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
what makes it so impossible?

i dont think its that hard to get it federalized.

in either case, it may be cheaper to build one. no?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
overboostins4

My Ride: audi s4
I would think it would be cheaper to build one.
overboostins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
docwyte

My Ride: '89 944 Turbo
It's extremely difficult to get a car federalized. If you have enough time and money, anything is possible, but it would be inordinately expensive.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/signaturepics/sigpic14767_1.gif
docwyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
carlchristian
Banned

My Ride: BMW E46 M3
Whats so special about the CSL to pay 60k? Does it come standard with a Stage 3 HPF Turbo?
carlchristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #15
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlchristian View Post
Whats so special about the CSL to pay 60k? Does it come standard with a Stage 3 HPF Turbo?
Nope. Just lighter, SMG only, no useable trunk (cause it is a cardboard floor) and no real creature comforts. Basically a radical race car in street trim. You can search you tube for "Top Gear M3 CSL" and see all about it with Jeremy Clarkson.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #16
phat///M3
Formerly know as phatbimma

My Ride: 03.5 ///M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
no useable trunk (cause it is a cardboard floor)
Not true
H&R ¦ OEM Aero Kit ¦ JCW Chrome Mirrors ¦ 17" Split Rims ¦ Black Front grills & side grills ¦ Recaro child seat

- OEM CSL BABY -
phat///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #17
bryce86

My Ride: CSL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Nope. Just lighter, SMG only, no useable trunk (cause it is a cardboard floor) and no real creature comforts. Basically a radical race car in street trim. You can search you tube for "Top Gear M3 CSL" and see all about it with Jeremy Clarkson.
Cracks me up everytime, Clarkson just appeals to the masses. The boot isnt cardboard, only thing that I think is close it maybe the lining that you lift to get to tyre pump / locking nut etc. Otherwise mine would be awfully soggy here in Scotland.

I have no creature comforts, but the majority (around 80%) came with xenons / climate control / pdc / auto wipers / cd player. i like to think mine is a 'real' CSL Many use them everyday, there no less comfy than a stock M3 IMO, the seats are lush!

Its an amazing car, and they are still fetching $60k here. But when you lot can get a decent Porka for that money - its probably not worth it. (FYI, here a used (ie 2yo, 6k mile) 997 GT3 are around $150k)
Old 11-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #18
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce86 View Post
Cracks me up everytime, Clarkson just appeals to the masses. The boot isnt cardboard, only thing that I think is close it maybe the lining that you lift to get to tyre pump / locking nut etc. Otherwise mine would be awfully soggy here in Scotland.

I have no creature comforts, but the majority (around 80%) came with xenons / climate control / pdc / auto wipers / cd player. i like to think mine is a 'real' CSL Many use them everyday, there no less comfy than a stock M3 IMO, the seats are lush!

Its an amazing car, and they are still fetching $60k here. But when you lot can get a decent Porka for that money - its probably not worth it. (FYI, here a used (ie 2yo, 6k mile) 997 GT3 are around $150k)
^^^next time I'm in scotland, can I take Your car for a test-drive?

:jealous:
Old 11-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #19
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce86 View Post
I've got to admit, I was convinced he was serious when I saw that episode.

I got called out a while back on it and felt like an idiot .

-Chris
Old 11-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #20
bryce86

My Ride: CSL!
^^ No one drives my car... But I'll take you a spin fo sho