E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Monoprice mounts!

On AVSforum, I've seen a lot of people use monoprice mounts. They seem to be pretty good value for the money.

Comments? Suggestions?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
blownE30M3

My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
You nailed it. Good product at a cheap rate. If you dont want to go with the higher cost Omni, Promount, or Chief mounts, monoprice is an acceptable retailer for ya.

Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
'busa

Awesome. I'll probably narrow down my choices and post them here. I'm not sure whether to get one that tilts up and down only or one that 'telescopes' out and turns side to side.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
blownE30M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
Awesome. I'll probably narrow down my choices and post them here. I'm not sure whether to get one that tilts up and down only or one that 'telescopes' out and turns side to side.
Well it depends on the application for sure. I've found that for the most part with fixed furniture in a semi-closed room ( normal living room, billiards room, library ) that just a tilt mount will be fine.

The most typical uses for the turning mounts are for smaller displays to be viewed from two different rooms. For instance, a display mounted in a kitchen that can be turned to the morning room.

Take a picture, let us be the judge.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
Dcha

My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
What if I just want a fixed, tilted slightly downwards mount for a 58. Can monoprice help me?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:41 AM   #6
Dcha

Well, hell. At that price I might as well get a swivel so I can watch it while I'm in the kitchen.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #7
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
I use my 40" as my computer monitor 90%of the time, but when I watch a movie or TV it's nice to move it over and tilt it down so I can watch it from my bed. So the fully adjustable was appropriate.

The 60", however, is in the living room and is viewed from 10-12ft away on the couches and having the TV flush with the wall was ideal so a fixed mount was the choice for that one.

The tilting mount is odd to me and is really only appropriate if you intend on mounting your TV up high (which I despise) and a fixed mount won't tilt down to your liking. Unless you like sitting on the ground and the couch maybe? If you're anal about the TV sticking out of the wall, get a fixed mount. If you want adjustability, get a fully adjustable. I think the need for just vertical tilt is a special case thing

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 AM   #8
'busa

I'll get a flusher mount with the tilting versus the left-right swiveling one? Makes sense.

All-in-all, the TV would probably only be watched from one direction, unless I was really lazy and decided to pass out in a different part of the room.

I was just wondering if the extra $20-30 is worth it.

Here's my condo renovation thread in case you haven't seen it: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=619117

I haven't gotten to the TV install yet, but I need to determine location and mounting soon, so that I can work on the walls.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
Owtlaw333

Is the room with the deck (or whatever that is) the one that's getting the TV? If so, I 'd get a fully adjustable so you can watch from ouside (assuming there's a lounging area.) Otherwise one of the other options may be just fine.

And yes, the fully adjustables have more hardware so they stick out more than the others. Fixed mount is the way to go though if you want it to look really good.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
'busa

I think I'll be going with fixed. They give me +/- 15 deg of adjustment which should be enough. Plus they're cheaper and less of a load on the wall.

Any recommendations as far as height? I plan on getting a 50" Panny and I want to mount it so that when I'm standing in front of it, I'd have to get on my toes to see the top of the TV.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #11
Owtlaw333

Quote:
I think I'll be going with fixed. They give me +/- 15 deg of adjustment which should be enough. Plus they're cheaper and less of a load on the wall.

Any recommendations as far as height? I plan on getting a 50" Panny and I want to mount it so that when I'm standing in front of it, I'd have to get on my toes to see the top of the TV.
I personally like my TVs to be roughly eye level when I'm upright on the couch. At the very most I'd have the bottom 1/3 of the TV at eye level. But for some reason (which I'm still confused about) many other's prefer their TVs to be higher up. Bugs the crap out of me though.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
I personally like my TVs to be roughly eye level when I'm upright on the couch. At the very most I'd have the bottom 1/3 of the TV at eye level. But for some reason (which I'm still confused about) many other's prefer their TVs to be higher up. Bugs the crap out of me though.
Got a pic?

TV's that are hung low make me feel like they're sitting on whatever home entertainment center they're above, except with the feet removed.

How's this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...1&format=6#faq

Last edited by 'busa; 12-09-2008 at 09:43 PM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
'busa

Well? What do you think of the mount?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #14
blownE30M3

Quote:
Well? What do you think of the mount?
Man that is really cheap. Almost scary it might break cheap. It looks ok, but who knows really, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #15
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3 View Post
Man that is really cheap. Almost scary it might break cheap. It looks ok, but who knows really, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
I'll let you know. I ordered it plus some HDMI cables and an HDMI-DVI cable. I need the mount before I paint the walls, so I can do all the cuts, finish the wall, and then paint.

The reviews on it seem good, and on avsforum, a lot of people seem to be using these. Not only that, but they're using the articulating mounts, which I personally find kind of risky. So, we'll see. I'm sure at a distance of 1"-2" from the wall, this should be more than enough.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #16
Owtlaw333

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

Looks to be a decent mount. I'm not up to speed on the quality or anything, but if others have had good experience, I'd say go for it.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Old 12-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #17
TX330ci
TX Dinan 3

My Ride: women
just ordered a pan/tilt model from them for the bedroom so i can paint and get it thrown up at the new joint. i figure for the price you cant go wrong, especially with the space savings i gained by dumping the Bell'O

Dzoccu nun ti appreni, nun dir né mali né beni

TX330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #18
Owtlaw333

Don't mind the clutter... just look at the couch and TV, lol. This is pretty much the highest I'd ever want it. Bottom of the TV is 3ft off the ground with the center of it at 55in. TV is 60".
The base below the TV is being replaced by a wooden cabinet from Pioneer that is slightly taller.

Wide angle!!! haha

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Old 01-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #19
Dcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
Don't mind the clutter... just look at the couch and TV, lol. This is pretty much the highest I'd ever want it. Bottom of the TV is 3ft off the ground with the center of it at 55in. TV is 60".
The base below the TV is being replaced by a wooden cabinet from Pioneer that is slightly taller.

Wide angle!!! haha
Where is that couch from? I love it!
Old 01-02-2009, 04:15 AM   #20
Owtlaw333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcha View Post
Where is that couch from? I love it!
Crate & Barrel IRRC. It's sooooo comfy

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||