E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

View Poll Results: Which company would you purchase under drive pulley kits from?
Rogue Engineering 72 24.66%
Turner Motorsport 78 26.71%
UUC Motorwerks 142 48.63%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
LooKitsCHAVIT

My Ride: E46 M3 Convertible
Question Under Drive Pulley Kits: Rogue Engineering, Turner Motorsport, or UUC

I want to purchase under drive pulleys for my car. Which brand do you recommend and why? Please vote.

1. Rogue Engineering
2. Turner Motorsport
3. UUC

Last edited by LooKitsCHAVIT; 12-23-2008 at 11:13 PM.
LooKitsCHAVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Bhs
Old 12-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #3
Steve@ASPTuning
ASPTuning

My Ride: 01' 320i
What about our pulley kits...

http://asptuning.com/new/product_inf...products_id=50
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
LooKitsCHAVIT

Question

I would really like to know the differences in quality and performance between all of these companies. Or are there really none?
Old 12-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
Steve@ASPTuning
ASPTuning

My Ride: 01' 320i
Well there's no difference really, but the way its made and what materials are used can be a big factor.

In our pulleys we use lightweight and heavy duty aluminum to withstand the stresses that may be applied during peak performance.

So its really personal preference what company you'd like to go with.

Our kit has 3 pulleys versus other companies with one.

And then of course you have to add on the belt.

Steve
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci & z33 HR
True...

djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:12 AM   #7
mspdan

My Ride: 2002 330i
So does underdriving not have a negative effect? Less cooling, battery drain, etc.? Is this the same Ruff of Porsche fame?
mspdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
beingdevious
Apple Jews

Location: Drunk onthe Beach.. Official 4ngiefest.com Techie Go to: 4ngiefest.com/donate Needs: to leave the computer Status: ///Pantless
My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to beingdevious Send a message via Skype™ to beingdevious
UUC kit does not underdrive the alternator. their reason is stated on their site, but in short:
Quote:
Underdriving the alternator would have ramifications ranging from dim lights at idle, to insufficient charging ability, and potentially as far as damage to your BMW's voltage-sensitive components.
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/udp/udp...escription.htm

i have it, and just as expected, you will not notice a difference. you just get to say "i have cool pulleys"
albeit, im not unhappy with the purchase. There's really not much to notice. Also, if you're going to do it i would suggest using the Stewart Hi-Flow water pump.
Underdriving the OEM pump is fine, but if you upgrade the pump and then underdrive it... you're back to OEM flow, but you gained from removing the parasitic drag.

i have noticed some tiny improvements in rev time, but not much. there's also not much of a weight difference between OEM and the UUC kit. i cant say how much, because didnt put them on a scale.. but holding them individually, there isnt.

On a scale from 0 to 24...wait, 3 to 24, where 6 is the lowest and 12 is the highest, how freaking high re you right now?

She's got you high, and you don't even know yet.

Last edited by beingdevious; 01-07-2009 at 10:49 AM.
beingdevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingdevious View Post
UUC kit does not underdrive the alternator. their reason is stated on their site, but in short:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/udp/udp...escription.htm

i have it, and just as expected, you will not notice a difference. you just get to say "i have cool pulleys"
albeit, im not unhappy with the purchase. There's really not much to notice. Also, if you're going to do it i would suggest using the Stewart Hi-Flow water pump.
Underdriving the OEM pump is fine, but if you upgrade the pump and then underdrive it... you're back to OEM flow, but you gained from removing the parasitic drag.

i have noticed some tiny improvements in rev time, but not much. there's also not much of a weight difference between OEM and the UUC kit. i cant say how much, because didnt put them on a scale.. but holding them individually, there isnt.
You make some very good points - the most important factor is that UDPs don't add horsepower, they free up hp by reducing that parasitic drag caused from the accessories (within a safe zone).

Can't go wrong with either the Rogue or UUCs - we have a preference on the Rogue pulleys, which of neither touch the alternator.

LooKitsCHAVIT: We always stock the Rogue pulleys once your decision is made.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
LSUKNUT

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingdevious View Post
I just did this mod myself. I purchased the set from Turner Motor Sports and it came with 4 pulleys. The extra one they sent was to properly match up the alternator pulley and they sent a box to mail the one I didn't use back for a refund. I also installed the Stewart water pump. Really, I don't notice anything different but I will say that I'm extremely confident I won't be sitting on the side of the road somewhere do to a cooling system issue. I couldn't believe how cheap the OEM pulleys and water pump were once I pulled them off and compared them to the new products. I would say that any of the sets listed will do the job just fine.

KNUT's Progress & Thank You to E46Fanatics Supporting Vendors - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=1#post9933726
LSUKNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******

My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others

Here at UUC, we are the manufacturer and designer and the very first company to make underdrive pulleys for modern BMWs. Quite frankly, almost all other pulleys out there are based on ours. Strong words, but it's the truth.

Facts:
1) Don't waste money on three pulleys. Anybody that understands BMWs self-regulating charging system knows that underdriving the alternator has ZERO effect. Waste of money, time, and effort to replace the alternator pulley.

2) UUC has NEVER had a pulley failure. Ours do not break.

3) UUC is 100% made in USA.

4) UUC uses proprietary techniques to ensure the highest-quality, most durable product you can buy.

5) UUC includes a replacement belt - and the best news is, it is an easily available belt, you can find replacements at any auto parts store!

For more details on our parts and pulley theory in general (even stuff that the other so-called "manufacturers" don't know!) can be found right here on our website:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/udp/
- Rob Levinson

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

ALL CURRENT UUC SPECIALS:
-[ CLICK HERE ]
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #12
CWABimmer

My Ride: '01 AW on Black 325i
This is so odd. I would have thought it would be Rogue, TMS, then UUC. I guess I was really wrong!

ChrisTKHarris's Official Apprentice

19" HM2s | H&R Cupkit & Sways | BMP RSMs | AFE Intake | UUC TSE3 | RE Underdrive Pulleys | Schroth QFPs | 20% Tint | OEM Clears | Tinted Tails | Umnitza 50w P46s w/ Orion V2s | Silvannia Mirrored Bulbs | Jlevi LED Reverse, Sidemarker, & License Plate Lights | Bimmian Blacked Out Roundels, Black Handbrake Handle, ACS-Style Pedals, & Xenon Interior Lights | Custom Boots
CWABimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
I like my EvoSports, but I voted UUC.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
loglisci44

My Ride: 2000 323ci 5spd
waste of $$$$$ period.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
LooKitsCHAVIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by loglisci44 View Post
waste of $$$$$ period.
You should explain why. Has anyone done a before and after dyno comparison?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #16
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
i have the rogue pulleys. just like beingdevious said.... you'll get to say you have cool pulleys, but won't really notice a difference.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #17
vids_blk323Ci
DFW

My Ride: JB 323Ci SP PP
Send a message via AIM to vids_blk323Ci
Ive had my UUC UDP on since 2002 w/o a single issue... guess what i voted for....

Dinan Stage I S/W | ACS RSB | ///M FSB |UUC TMEs & Pulleys |Ate Slotted Discs | ScanGuageII | RockyMounts MTB Carrrier | OEM Rear Clears | LED Euro City Lights & Rear Fogs | Two-Tone Suede DIY | ACS Pedals | Bimmian Gauge Rings & M3 Face | Smoked Frnt Corners w/ Luxeon LEDs | EAS CF Roundels | JLevi Ti CF trim | Blk Suede shift/ e-brake boots | ECS Smoked Frnt Bumper Reflectors | DICE Duo
vids_blk323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote