E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
mspeed76

My Ride: 06 M3 CSL whore
Focal 3-way 165 KRX3

the system comes with an tiny enclosure for the 3" mid & tweeter.. anyone know if theres room to fit?

http://www.focal-america.com/extras/...5KRX3_info.pdf
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:48 AM   #2
shockin330i

My Ride: '13 AW F10 535i
Send a message via AIM to shockin330i
Oh, those are nice..
2013 535i AW F10 "Lola" [retired]
2013 5.0 "alessandra" [retired]
2014 5.0 "jessica" [retired]
2011 135i JB E82 "Latoya"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay330Ci View Post
:drool:
i'd cosign loans for that ho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Thanks dude. I knew she was a keeper when she blew me during a game of cod. I didn't do too well that game
shockin330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Not in the OEM location which has a 2" mid.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
BmwAudio32

My Ride: 2004 Imola 330i ZHP
If you are talking about on the coupe I doubt that it would fit in that tweeter/mid enclosure spot. On the sedan, though, it think you could figure out a way to mount it to the backside of the 2.5 inch factory mid ring.
BmwAudio32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
mspeed76

what about just the 3" mid then.. it sticks out about 1.6"
Old 01-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
No, too deep.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
mspeed76

hm they look like they will fit with some fudging.. im gonna give it a try
Old 01-05-2009, 03:26 AM   #8
Dhohn

My Ride: 3 e30's and a 03 330
please update after you do.
Info on total system pre and post with opinion on upgrade after install

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Dhohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Draven

My Ride: C6 Z51
I did a similar kit, the http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=518 and used the factory driver for the driver, factory mid for the tweeter and custom cut holes into the doors for the DLS mid. Looks rather factory, I usually have to point out to people that it's not an OEM speaker location. If I remember, I'll post a pic.
Draven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
BillyMonter

My Ride: 04-325CI SMG
I went with Morel elate 3 ways

I installed morel elate 3ways in my coupe. I think I paid around $1100 for them

6.5" in stock location.
1" Tweeters surface mounted on the a pillar black wedge.
2" Midranges fit perfectly with a bit of work in the stock tweeter, midrange location. The oem grill remains and it's all concealed. Ta da
BillyMonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
mspeed76

yes they fit!

and it was a b!tch !!!!!!

3" midrange - had to dreml some of the plastic, used the included enclosure face as an adapter. this was really tight. probably 1mm left of room. just enough to squeeze a layer of dynamat

tweeter- no room in the stock location, or to flush mount to the sail panel. used the included enclosure pods and mounted it to the sail panel

woofer - i spent 4 hours trying to get this ridiculously huge woofer (with a magnet nearly the same diamater as the woofer) to fit by trimming the door and creating MDF rings. This didnt work, there isnt much space to be had on the coupe since the window glide is right behind it. mounted it to the outside and it fits without any cutting
Old 04-20-2014, 05:13 AM   #12
Rpronk

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeed76 View Post
and it was a b!tch !!!!!!

3" midrange - had to dreml some of the plastic, used the included enclosure face as an adapter. this was really tight. probably 1mm left of room. just enough to squeeze a layer of dynamat

tweeter- no room in the stock location, or to flush mount to the sail panel. used the included enclosure pods and mounted it to the sail panel

woofer - i spent 4 hours trying to get this ridiculously huge woofer (with a magnet nearly the same diamater as the woofer) to fit by trimming the door and creating MDF rings. This didnt work, there isnt much space to be had on the coupe since the window glide is right behind it. mounted it to the outside and it fits without any cutting

I would love to see the pictures. I am doubting to buy this set of focal speaker for my e-46
Rpronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
jose325i

My Ride: 08 BMW 135i
i bet they sound amazing!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #14
MassBMW

My Ride: 325i
Nice work! Hate to say it but this was one time that I am glad I have a sedan. Just alittle more depth behind those door skins makes a world of difference.
MassBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 PM   #15
adrian320

My Ride: 2002 2.2L I6 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBMW View Post
Nice work! Hate to say it but this was one time that I am glad I have a sedan. Just alittle more depth behind those door skins makes a world of difference.
MassBMW, Just curious of your comment, I have a sedan also and stumbled with the same problems when trying to fit a JL 6.5" woofer in the stock location. What I did has raised the plugs for the door panel to clear the woofer magnet. But needless to say I dont like it that much, at first seemed like a nice idea, but now I'm thinking of installing smaller 5.25" speakers for the woofers.

mspeed76: very good job. Any thoughts of using double-sided tape for putting oem or similar speaker grilles?

No, no, there is no climate change, it just getting hotter and hotter....and hotter. Yeah, right!?!!?
adrian320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #16
MassBMW

My Ride: 325i
With a sedan you can cut the metal in the door and give the magnet a little more room vs. the coupes with the window track directly behind the speaker location. This allows you to run a slightly deeper driver, just need to clear the glass when the window is down. I was able to get almost 3" deep driver in my doors and keep my door skin intact. I did however have to modifiy (dremel) the backside of the door skins to fit the 7" diameter drivers which forced me to cut the 3 tabs that hold the door skin to the door. I wasnt happy to have to do this, but it was the only way to fit such a large driver and keep it behind the stock grill. It was very tight, but I was able to make it fit. Check out my thread here - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...3&postcount=35

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian320 View Post
MassBMW, Just curious of your comment, I have a sedan also and stumbled with the same problems when trying to fit a JL 6.5" woofer in the stock location. What I did has raised the plugs for the door panel to clear the woofer magnet. But needless to say I dont like it that much, at first seemed like a nice idea, but now I'm thinking of installing smaller 5.25" speakers for the woofers.
MassBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #17
E46sportwagon03

My Ride: 2003 325i SportWagon
Looks fantastic - congrats. Can you put a grille on top of that mid-bass woofer with your mount? How do they sound - more punch? Are you getting more door panel vibrations as a result? Also, did you have the HK system or not?
E46sportwagon03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #18
Dhohn

My Ride: 3 e30's and a 03 330
Did you fab up an enclosure behind the woofer ? If not how does it sound ?
Dhohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #19
mspeed76

thx guys!

the grills wont fit on the doors like that. ya i had the HK system.

i opened up the door cavity on the drivers side only. Not sealed though, it was too much work. I have no vibration or rattles on the doors. The chassis on the woofer is very solid. i put some dynamat and felt tape on the wires.

sound is excellent and everything is running off the stock head unit. the bass is more deep vs punchy. cant really tell cuz my sub blends in. mids are very clear. the weak point would be the tweeter IMO. smoother than the previous generation and im comparing it to high end home speakers.. maybe they need more break in time per the manual

the crossover is quite flexible. i have the tweeters in -6db since theyre basically shooting at my face.

running on an audison LRX 4.1 and a JL 13tw5 slim sub in the trunk

Last edited by mspeed76; 01-27-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #20
mspeed76

and heres the trunk

nothing fancy.. i didnt wanna sacrifice any space.. fiberglassed an enclosure in the spare tire well.. my first attempt at all this, i think it looks alrite lol