E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
TigMik

My Ride: 2004 SMG M3
SMG judder in 1st gear. Help.

My smg m3 has started to struggle setting off in 1st gear. It judders and then picks up speed. Any one have a clue what it could be? Thanks
TigMik is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
realcompm3

My Ride: 11 E92 M3 ZCP
Yeah that happens to mine too. Just easily step on the pedal when you are on 1st gear.
realcompm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
AllwaysLow

My Ride: 2005 CB SMG M3
Do you mean shutters like it's struggling to keep from stalling the engine? Or do you mean buck back and forth like a bronco?

Does it do it every single time?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
TigMik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllwaysLow View Post
Do you mean shutters like it's struggling to keep from stalling the engine? Or do you mean buck back and forth like a bronco?

Does it do it every single time?
Yeah, like its going to stall, it judders until it gets moving. It doesnt do it every time, but it is becoming more frequent.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
AllwaysLow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigMik View Post
Yeah, like its going to stall, it judders until it gets moving. It doesnt do it every time, but it is becoming more frequent.
Does it ever happen without touching the gas pedal, like when you're just sitting still? Or only when you first press the gas pedal? Does it happen more on hills?
Old 02-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
TigMik

Quote:
Does it ever happen without touching the gas pedal, like when you're just sitting still? Or only when you first press the gas pedal? Does it happen more on hills?

Only when i touch the pedal, and it has done it once, quite bad, on a hill start.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
gsh1234567

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3 SMG
Mine, too. It annoy the #$% out of me. Hope it is nothing serious. I also tried either to ease on the first gear or just drive more agreesively. Both work.
gsh1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
vicz84

My Ride: bmw 320ci
my m3 does the same, judders sometimes in first gear and even second sometimes, been told that a software upgrade can sort this out, hope its not the clutch on the way out, mine has done 62000 miles and have been told that clutches dont wear out that quick in a smg unless you use launch control, which i dont.
vicz84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:10 AM   #9
ollie2185

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicz84 View Post
my m3 does the same, judders sometimes in first gear and even second sometimes, been told that a software upgrade can sort this out, hope its not the clutch on the way out, mine has done 62000 miles and have been told that clutches dont wear out that quick in a smg unless you use launch control, which i dont.
I'm exactly same miles and exactly same problem. (also dont launch control) Seems to improve as the engine comes up to temperature. I had just put it down to that.

Dont think its a clutch slip. Hope its not anyway.
ollie2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #10
HarryMarkCS

My Ride: 05 M3CS
Same problem here, the car is 2005 SMG cs.....its starting to piss me off, been to the dealers twice already and no joy...

ive reset the smg....no joy

Its worse on hill starts...but dont think its clutch as it doesnt happen up the gears
HarryMarkCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #11
ZCP14

My Ride: 2006 M3
Reviving this one.... I have 88k miles and Carmax replaced my SMG pump, and clutch changed about 10 months ago. It shudders/chadders in 1st and 2nd gear starts about 4 out of 5 starts from standstill. It's way worst on hills. After take off all else works smooth. S5 setting seems to decrease it 1 out of 5 starts.

Mass air is clean. Airbox has a little bit of oil in it, was told its normal. Service 2 was done in Jan.

facepalm:

Please let me know what's worked for you guys
ZCP14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #12
IFX

My Ride: AW //M
Might be the old common "jerk" from the SMG tranny.
IFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
DJSMG22

My Ride: 325i
What do u mean by this? and how harsh is the jerk, my clutch, hydraulic unit and flywheel just went and they say it"ll cost 8700 to replace..not normal right?
DJSMG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #14
mtechmike

My Ride: 2004 m3 smg cab
Send a message via AIM to mtechmike
hey, i have an smg with about 55k and experience the same judder symptoms in 1st gear. It isn't the bucking bronco type of jerk which is a separate feeling where the car just wants to take off. So far i've reset the smg computer by holding in the paddles for 5 secs while driving above 50mph and putting the gear in neutral, i've recently had the computer remapped at the dealer. I've tried engaging the gas slowly from a stop, slamming the gas from a stop, and letting the car warm up for 20 minutes and i still get slippage. I thought for sure it was the clutch but one member said it would happen through all the gears if that was the case. I'm gonna clean my maf sensor today with crc cleaner and hope that works. If you correct the problem please let me know what you did that worked. Thanks, Mike
mtechmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
j-dog

My Ride: 06 m3 zcp
Does it act like the clutch is slipping? Like it is not grabbing? Mine does this only when cold for about the first 1-2 minutes of driving, and only in 1st. After that it is fine. It started at about 5000 miles and has not changed, now I have 26000. I am not worried about mine.

Have you tried an SMG reset?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ight=smg+reset

Last edited by j-dog; 02-08-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added a link
j-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #16
AllwaysLow

Have you noticed that it goes away at the same rpm level every time? somewhere around 2000rpm?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #17
TigMik

Quote:
Have you noticed that it goes away at the same rpm level every time? somewhere around 2000rpm?

It feels like it, yes. Why's that then?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #18
AllwaysLow

IMO, there are three possible causes: 1) clutch mapping, 2) airflow, or 3) fuel delivery.

If it goes away at the same rpm every time, then that would make me think it's the clutch mapping, for which there a two fixes that have worked for a lot of people. The first is free, and that's the SMG reset, which will reset the computer and allow the SMG computer to learn your driving style from the beginning.

1. Find a straight open road, and get up to about 40mph.
2. Shift into neutral.
3. Pull back on both paddle shifters for 5-10 seconds.
4. There will be no beep or indicator that it's been reset, you just have to trust the SMG gods.
5. Drive it like you always do.

The second fix is a software update from the dealer. My 05 SMG was hesitating in the lower rpm range and a software update helped me. If you're no longer under warranty then it will cost you to have it done. I believe they updated me with version 31.1, so they should be able to tell what version you have and update it if it's older than that.

A possible third fix is using sport mode, which has helped some people, but I don't really consider that a fix as much as a band-aid.

If airflow is the problem, then cleaning your MAF sensor is a cheap and easy fix, and should be done anyway even if you're not having a problem. Just get some MAF cleaner, remove the sensor, clean it, and reinstall it. And of course, check your air filter, but I doubt that's the problem.

If none of those help, the I would guess it's in the fuel filter, fuel pump, etc. But try everything else first.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #19
M-Power-3

My Ride: ///M-Powerd
check your intake or your MAF and clean it.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #20
TigMik

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Power-3 View Post
check your intake or your MAF and clean it.
Where's the MAF situated? Is it after the air filter box?