E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
roddykaregaran

My Ride: 2004 smb 330Ci ZHP
Does your BMW have Bluetooth? (BMW Bluetooth FAQ/Info)

Hey guys, I have seen a lot of threads about whether or not "my car has bluetooth". I have basically piled together a rundown of what I have learned trying to figure out my own bluetooth configuration. Ive been to BMW and back several times, solely regarding this issue -- because I have had different answers (believe it or not).

///BMW BLUETOOTH FAQ

This should answer a lot of people's questions on BMW* bluetooth
*3 SERIES (E46) UNITED STATES MODELS ONLY
If your production year is below 2004, forget about even having the possibility of there ever being a bluetooth system set up in your vehicle (from BMW).

general | QUESTION 1
why on earth I have bluetooth buttons on my steering wheel and icons on the bottom of my trunk lid?

In Europe, bluetooth has been around much longer than United States, whereas we just began incorporating bluetooth into U.S. model vehicles up to a few years ago. As far as the icon/logo under your trunk lid, basically ever car that has our BMW U.S. steering wheels have that icon there, once again, because European bluetooth technology was more advanced at the time.

BMW North America began incorporating their bluetooth system starting in 2004 production date* models and beyond, as an add-on option to be able to buy a module that will be compatible with your current wiring system. Now dont get me wrong, if you have a 2004 3 series* (or '03 sedan facelift in some cases depending on your month of production) you most likely still dont have bluetooth (Your radio should essentially read "PHONEBOOK EMPTY" when you click your phone button on the steering wheel) unless your previous owner went out of his way to add an expensive option. You were able to buy a module from BMW for cheaper (retail est. $300) than the entire wiring system set up (retail est. $800-$1000) for the 2004 models*. Unfortunately the key word here is WERE. They discontinued production of this item a couple years ago. The only way you will find your 2004 module is if your BMW dealership has any left in stock, or you buy it used/new from another source that carries their products (i.e. La Jolla Audio in San Diego, CA)

general | QUESTION 2
I can access "BMW ASSIST" through my car though... doesnt this mean I have bluetooth?

No. Unfortunately this is not the case. Yes it is weird that they have enabled some way of reaching out to other people through your car, but this does not mean you have bluetooth. For example, the other day I pressed my SOS button underneath my mirror. It lead me to an automated voice message center telling me that I am not subscribed to this service. To end the call you can say "Goodbye", or say "Renew" to speak to a BMW Assist representative. I said "Renew" and it lead me to an actual person who informed me on pricing and other package options. It was kind of cool to hear all of this through my Harmon/Kardon speakers, but was unfortunate that I knew for a fact I dont have bluetooth. Just to make sure, I called another BMW service rep, and they confirmed my case.

general | QUESTION 3
So which 3 series' even have bluetooth?

Basically production date of 2005* and above (and, if I am not mistaken, 08/04). Yes, it is awkward that they only created two years of prewired, factory enabled, standard bluetooth for only two years on the e46, but this is just the way they wanted it. If you have a 2005, you should be able to click the phonebook button, and have your radio/nav display something like "Passcode". For this, you just go to BMW and they will give you your designated passcode so you can connect your phone. When clicking the phone button on your steering wheel, any e46 3 Series* on and below the production year of 2003 should give no action to your radio deck, obviously, which means you dont have bluetooth, nor did you ever have wiring for it in the first place from BMW.

OTHER QUICK INFO
The downside to not even having the capability of inputting BMW's bluetooth set up into your car (if you have an 03 and below) is that you can not even buy it from BMW. The fact is, they never made it*. It just wont be compatible if you tried to use any other BMW OEM bluetooth system for your car.

The upside, is that you can buy pretty neat after party oem look-alike modules for your vehicle, theres a few out there, you just have to look for the one that suits you best; (try BSW, I have heard a lot about theirs).

If you have an 04 production year, good luck finding the module to fit your car. Your car has the other set up BMW used with only their 2004 models, which their module would enabled, if they hadn't discontinue it.

FINAL RUNDOWN
- 05/06 year models have BMW prewired as a standard feature* for bluetooth.
- 04 models are capable of having bluetooth, but only with the BMW module, which has been discontinued.
- 99-03 models are not capable (excluding some 03 models, i.e. facelift sedan) of having any time of BMW OEM bluetooth system. You can purchase after party instead; try bsw. The bluetooth button on the steering wheel is there because the European bluetooth technology was more advanced at the time of your car's production date (i.e. 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003).

Some recommended vendors:
- Bavarian Soundwerks
- European Auto Source

Some tested bluetooth loopholes:
- Buy OEM parts separate and put together yourself
- Install your double din nav w/ bluetooth

I am sure theres much more out there. Here are just some of them I have seen and thought they are pretty cool.

Hope this helps anybody that had any questions about their car and BMW Bluetooth! If you have any questions, or if I forgot something, please feel free to PM me.

CCFL ANGEL EYES | SMOKED SIDE MARKERS | JET BLACK GRILL | 6000K HEADLIGHTS | 6000K FOGLIGHTS | APLINE TYPE R 12"
LED INTERIOR KIT | LED LICENSE PLATE | BRUSHED METAL ROUNDELS | SAPPHIRE METALLIC BLACK REFLECTORS | 15% TINT
roddykaregaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Kisorsosay

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Yeah my e46 325xi production date 03/04 has all three at the bottom of my trunk. Pre wired for bluetooth, garage door and cd player. I don't have anything but premium sound in my system. No sport or luxury package. So I take it that I don't physically have these items "prewired" in my system then?
Kisorsosay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Thank you, I've just been trying to figure this out myself.

Now, here's where I am confused: I've got Assist. According to my VIN run, I have this:

"0639 BMW Assist with Bluetooth"

My phone does not see my car when I turn it on, and I cannot pair it. Do I not have Bluetooth, even though my car has the option? My production date was 03/2004
Zell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Bluetooth causes cancer.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
I have a 323i and I have the bmw Bluetooth system
Retrofitted the system with oem components. No programming required. The key is to get latest TCU.
Good luck

sent from HTC EVO
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Kisorsosay

My Ride: 2004 325xi
On the roof of the inside of the car there is a little vent by the moon roof button. I believe if you remove the entire ceiling part you can tell right away if your car is blue tooth ready. If there isn't a rectangle shaped part on top of the speaker then you don't have it. I'm assuming that being pre-wired as my car tells me and after cheating on you guys (beamerfest) that the wiring is there but not the actual parts. "plug and play" for OEM. I'm going to try to stay OEM as flash has but what is the "TCU" as you mentioned? So you bought newer OEM parts and just retro fitted them to your 323i? Any DIY work on it by chance?
Kisorsosay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisorsosay View Post
On the roof of the inside of the car there is a little vent by the moon roof button. I believe if you remove the entire ceiling part you can tell right away if your car is blue tooth ready. If there isn't a rectangle shaped part on top of the speaker then you don't have it. I'm assuming that being pre-wired as my car tells me and after cheating on you guys (beamerfest) that the wiring is there but not the actual parts. "plug and play" for OEM. I'm going to try to stay OEM as flash has but what is the "TCU" as you mentioned? So you bought newer OEM parts and just retro fitted them to your 323i? Any DIY work on it by chance?
I meant to say ULF. it is nothing more than the control module for your bluetooth (the brain)

http://www.bimmernav.com/ulfchanges.html
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
enzeine

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I have a 2004 with the pre-wire badges on the trunk for bluetooth. I can press the steering wheel button and get a dial tone with an automated Verizon voice that tells me I need to get service (something like that).

Also, I have a pass code on a card in the phone supplement of my manual. I am guessing that I have bluetooth and simply need to pair it.

Let me know what you think.
enzeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
enzeine

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzeine View Post
I have a 2004 with the pre-wire badges on the trunk for bluetooth. I can press the steering wheel button and get a dial tone with an automated Verizon voice that tells me I need to get service (something like that).

Also, I have a pass code on a card in the phone supplement of my manual. I am guessing that I have bluetooth and simply need to pair it.

Let me know what you think.
I found a TCU unit at my local dealer (part #84109195455). I got it paired, but I am guessing I don't have an antenna and need to get one. I paired the bluetooth by placing my phone next to the module. My car already had the microphone with the assist from the last module.
enzeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
this seems sticky worthy
lsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
2001 330Ci with Bluetooth. Thank you, Parrot.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
SpoonerDee

My Ride: 2005 E46
You can either do as suggested which is pull down the panel near the moon roof button, if there is a mic there, you have it.

Or

Go into your trunk, pull back the lining on the left side (driver side) and look for the module it self. Also if you have it but no card with the pass code DO NOT GO TO THE DEALER FOR THE PASS CODE.

Simply unbolt the bluetooth module flip it upside down and bam there is your code. Dont pay the dealer for 1 hour labor to hook up the computer to read it.

Also if you have software for your car (to do coding) you can pull the code your self.

Once you have the code, push the R/T button and make sure your phone is searching for bluetooth, Enter the code and let it sync your phone book and enjoy the luxury of life.

I just went through this whole adventure a few months ago.

Last edited by SpoonerDee; 11-30-2011 at 02:34 PM.
SpoonerDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
MrBourne

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
I am pretty stumped here. I would appreciate any help you can provide! Here's the background:

~2005 325i (08/04 build)
~has sport, premium, and cold weather packages
~has the R/T and "speaking person" buttons on the steering wheel
~when I push R/T, the display shows "phonebook empty"
~I have a bluetooth passkey card with the passkey circled
~However, I did not find the bluetooth connect button in the glove box

So I am assuming (and hoping) that I do have bluetooth in my car. It is definitely wired...I pulled that little vent thingy to the right of the moonroof button out and it has a little black box.

So am I missing something? I can't get my iPhone 4s to even see the BMW bluetooth.

I appreciate any advice or help you can give! Maybe my car has bluetooth prewired but it isn't set up or something? Thanks!
MrBourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
as if

My Ride: 2005 bmw 325xi
MrBourne, did you fin an answer as I am in the same boat?
as if is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #15
MrBourne

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by as if View Post
MrBourne, did you fin an answer as I am in the same boat?
Negative. I guess I should just talk to a dealer/mechanic. Maybe they can help.
MrBourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
as if

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBourne View Post
Negative. I guess I should just talk to a dealer/mechanic. Maybe they can help.
For what it is worth, I called the dealer. he told me that if I have the passkey, I should have BT. Hope he is right. he also told me that I should be able to pair the phone myself. He suggested googling for instructions to pair the phone. In the end, we may need to go to the dealer to get it done as long as it is all prewired.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #17
as if

I have the passkey, the speaking man does nothing, and when R/T is pressed, it says "phone book empty. My Samsung does not find BMW. My 2005 325xi tells me in the trunk that it is prewired. I am stumped. Help anyone??
Old 01-16-2012, 03:35 AM   #18
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
man i got an 06 doesnt have any labels on the trunk, and nothing happens when i push the speaking man or R/T =(
Old 01-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #19
samson

My Ride: 05' 330i
Send a message via AIM to samson
for what it's worth... my 05 330i premium/sport has bluetooh + assist, and you will not have the connect button in the center console. Just follow the pairing instructions in the bt booklet, and you're golden. You must follow the steps exactly as it says, otherwise the BMW module will not be visible to the phone. It did take me several attempts to correctly pair the phone.

Last edited by samson; 01-16-2012 at 03:44 AM.
samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:09 AM   #20
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
so i just looked in the compartment where the microphone is located, and it doesnt have anything there, so im guessing i have no wiring for bluetooth