E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Cazz

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3
DIY: ZCP m-track mode button relocate

I added a momentary push button to enable/disable m-track mode (on cars equipted with it).

I made this mod in combination with the multifunction retrofit. Togther the result is M-track mode + cruise + radio/phone controls. See
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=544160
for the MF retrofit.

On ZCP cars, the wire connected to pin 8 of connector X10170 controls track mode. Grounding and releasing the wire toggles the mode. X10170 is located inside the cover below the steering wheel (see the link above for a good picture of the connector as well as pictures for gaining access to it).

First, remove (or at least loosen) the plastic panel above the pedals. It is held in place by 3 screws.

Next, remove the lower half of the steering column cover. It is held in place by 2 clips. The clips are released by pressing a punch or small screwdriver inside the center clip. Pull the cover apart by pulling down the tilt lever and then pulling down on the back of the lower cover.

Locate and disconnect X10170. It is green and located under the steering wheel. It lightly on the left side (near 6 o'clock) and is about the closest thing to the rear of the car under the wheel. Find the wires connected to pins 7 and 8. Pins 7-10 are connected to the 4 pin connector that goes to the steering wheel buttons. The wire on Pin 7 is connected to ground. On ZCP cars, the wire connected to pin 8 controls the m-track mode and pins 9 and 10 are not used. (On cars equipted with a multifunction wheel the wires connected to pin 8 is used for the cruise control, pin 9 is the i-bus, pin 10 is power).

Add a tap to each of the wires on pins 7 and 8. Run the tap wires to a momentary switch. When I did this, I added disconnect terminals to the wires and installed the switch by drilling a hole in the left side of the column cover, below the turn signal stalk. The disconnects made the switch easier to install and allows the cover to be removed in the future without cutting wires or removing the switch.

If you mount the switch on the column cover, be sure to find a location that has enough clearance. The switch can be mounted anywhere you can run the two wires to. A floor mounted dimmer switch (near the left foot on SMG cars) might be a cool option.

Note: If you do the multi-function retrofit, you will be cutting the wire connected to pin 8. Attach the switch to the segment of the wire running to the engine controls (and not the segment running to pin 8, which you will connect to the DME/DDE). Also, you will be connecting power to pin 10, which could be useful for an illuminated switch.

Reconnect, reassemble, enjoy.

Sorry no pics, but the thread referenced above has good pictures of the connector and how to get at it.
Cazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
Cazz

Update: Now with pics!

Supplies:
One momentary switch
a couple of short lengths of wire

Here is what the switch I used looked like:

Here is where connector X10170 is located

The picture is of the inside of the lower column cover (see the last 2 pictures to see this part back on the car). The slot in the middle is where the steering wheel tilt lever comes through. The "test hole" is my first attempt. There was not enough clearance. Doh! For the second attempt I drilled into a location near the Styrofoam padding. The padding can be drilled into or cut back as needed.

This picture shows the wires used in both the multi-function retrofit and the button relocation. The green connector plug is pulled (X10170) out. One wire from ///Momentary switch is run to the ground wire in this connector. The other wire is connected to the DSC wire. The DSC wire used to be connected to pin 8. I disconnected it when I did the multi-function upgrade.

I used a couple of crimp-on quick disconnects so I can take the trim piece off without clipping wires. A squeeze tap-in connector was used on the ground wire.

Front view of the button.

Side view of completed project. There is a piece of electrical tape over the extra hole and it hides it pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	momentary.jpg
Views:	3867
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	325655   Click image for larger version

Name:	button.jpeg
Views:	5251
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	325656   Click image for larger version

Name:	conn2.jpg
Views:	3495
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	325657   Click image for larger version

Name:	conn_location.jpg
Views:	3499
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	325658  

Name:	front2.jpg
Views:	3338
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	325659   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside4.jpg
Views:	3509
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	325660  
Old 07-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
brmccolley

My Ride: Comp Pkg M3
Thank you for the DIY

Thank you again for going through the trouble of putting a DIY with photographs together. This is obviously a great option. Your leadership and willingness to mentor others is greatly appreciated.
brmccolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
loayo

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Awesome. I posted on your DIY thread. I have always wanted to add this option for my car. It was my first mod idea. I have heard of one BMW Tech who somehow programmed his car via the G1 computer but I am not sure what his end result was.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...536&highlight=

Regards,
Loay

2001///M3/PowerchipGroup/Eisenmann/Race Flow S-Pipes/AFe Stage II/AutoSolutions/ZCPs/NGK Ir/ULF/JL Audio Amp/Sub/Clutch-Stop 12.8" 1/4mi
1990 Honda Civic DX Hatch B18c1(GSR)/CAI/Greddy Exhaust/DC Sport/H&R/Suspension Techniques/Tanabe/KDWs/Pulstar/Apex Blue Pearl from 2008 S2K CR 14" 1/4mi
2002 Odyssey EX - Secret Weapon R/Pulstar/CAI 15" 1/4mi
2011 Camry V6 SE - Uper Optik 14" 1/4mi
2001 330ci Dinan S1 [Sold]
loayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
i like this mod. I'm attempting on retrofitting the M3 SPORT switch onto my 330i. Now I know that SPORT switch on an M3 SMG sort of takes the place of the SD mode that steptronic cars have.

Question:
Does the M button in this mod ONLY serves to turn off DSC and keep it off? or does it also act a S D mode button for the ZCP cars?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
Cazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
i like this mod. I'm attempting on retrofitting the M3 SPORT switch onto my 330i. Now I know that SPORT switch on an M3 SMG sort of takes the place of the SD mode that steptronic cars have.

Question:
Does the M button in this mod ONLY serves to turn off DSC and keep it off? or does it also act a S D mode button for the ZCP cars?

As far as I know the sport button doesn't do anything for the SMG-II (see pic). Pushing the gear shift knob to the right switches between sport-automatic and the drive-logic bar is used to select between the 11 programs (A1-A5 and S1-S6).

The track mode button is only on the Competition Package (ZCP) option. The button just puts the DSC in a mode that is less intrusive than the standard DSC program without completely turning it off. When it is engaged, an amber "track" icon is displayed in the instrument cluster. The DSC can be completely turned off with the DSC button (like all M3s).

I did this mod after retrofitting the multifunction steering wheel panel. The ZCP steering wheel only has one button (track mode), which removes the cruise control functionality and radio/phone controls. After putting the MFL panel back, the new button lets me still have track mode.

*Edit: BTW, I love the Delmarco DIY mods.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	smg_inputs.png
Views:	362
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	358660  
Old 05-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Nice DIY
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
BluByU

My Ride: '06 M3 ZCP, '96 993
Thanks for the write-up Cazz. I do a lot of highway / Interstate driving and without this knowledge and directions, I probably would have passed up my ZCP.
BluByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Cazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluByU View Post
Thanks for the write-up Cazz. I do a lot of highway / Interstate driving and without this knowledge and directions, I probably would have passed up my ZCP.
NP. I figure adding cruise back will pay for itself in the first ticket I avoid. Without cruise control I kept finding myself going 90 on the open highway.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
///SGM3

My Ride: SG M3
bumping an old thread.

for those of you with zcp and did the retrofit, can you tell me where/how you relocated your m-track?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
BluByU

My Ride: '06 M3 ZCP, '96 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///SGM3 View Post
bumping an old thread.

for those of you with zcp and did the retrofit, can you tell me where/how you relocated your m-track?
I simply copied Cazz's excellent documentation right down to the Radio Shack button and location. You can see it through the steering wheel at about 8 o'clock.

Also, my alcantera wheel was so worn out, I simply replaced the entire thing with a new one from Turner.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NewWheel.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	370143  
BluByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
TechieTechie

My Ride: 05 M3,04 z4, 01 325t
bookmarked
Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
Cazz

For a cleaner look, the wiper stalk from an E39 M5 can be used instead of adding a new button.

http://www.m3torque.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1827

Tags
zcp track mode diy