E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
The flip-side of gun ownership :-\

Six dead in nursing home shooting:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=6734388
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
We should ban them!!! This could have been prevented...

[/sarcasm]

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

Last edited by CRZY BMW; 03-29-2009 at 01:57 PM.
CRZY BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
IluvMy328i

My Ride: Miss Daisy
I blame it on the city name....Carthage.

Actually, if the 6 residents had been packin'....different outcome.

4-Headed Monster

Chappin' azz since '07'

Miss me yet?
IluvMy328i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Gucki83

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP / 635CSi
Old 03-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucki83 View Post
Are you rolling your eyes because six people died?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
There will always be crazy people out there and people who wish to do harm will always have access to weapons. Thus, it is my hope that whoever they encounter will be better armed and better prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
There will always be crazy people out there and people who wish to do harm will always have access to weapons. Thus, it is my hope that whoever they encounter will be better armed and better prepared.
And a +1 is given here.

I don't see how this is any different than coming in with a bat or ninja stars.

And PK, the post title is indicative of your opinion on guns.. hence the rolleyes. If your post was entirely about people dying, the title would be much different. But now it's a gun debate thread, rather than a bunch of RIP posts.

edit...nm it was gucki.. he is not allowed to type more than 5 words a day hence a smilee.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
And PK, the post title is indicative of your opinion on guns.. hence the rolleyes.
I support gun ownership, and enjoy going to the range. So I am a bit lost with the eye rolling. It's as if there isn't a flip-side to gun ownership, and all the gun owners are storming in here upset that I would even suggest such a duality.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I support gun ownership, and enjoy going to the range. So I am a bit lost with the eye rolling. It's as if there isn't a flip-side to gun ownership, and all the gun owners are storming in here upset that I would even suggest such a duality.
Well I agree there is a flip side.. but that side as a huge caveat. I think we can associate every single one of these insane acts being carried out by a crazy person that owned a gun.. not by a sane person owning a fire arm. That's where the gun debate dies. I just don't see how a normal, sane person, with or without a gun can go in and start killing people. Hence I think we can agree you have to be crazy to do this and the weapon of choice be it a gun or car or whatever is a moot point.

Anyways i'm off the gym then off to fun stuff. Everyone enjoy their sunday and RIP to those who died.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
jgrecbets

My Ride: e65 750i / e90 328xi
Send a message via AIM to jgrecbets
the flip side of scissors

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...gh-school.html
Old 03-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
-Ryan-
Registered Abuser

My Ride: E92 335i
The flip-side of car ownership

Four people run over at Sam's Town

http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10087455

** NWS removed - tim330i **
-Ryan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
IluvMy328i

My Ride: Miss Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
The flip-side of car ownership

Four people run over at Sam's Town

http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10087455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
And a +1 is given here.

I don't see how this is any different than coming in with a bat or ninja stars.

And PK, the post title is indicative of your opinion on guns.. hence the rolleyes. If your post was entirely about people dying, the title would be much different. But now it's a gun debate thread, rather than a bunch of RIP posts.

Nose + nail = BINGO

4-Headed Monster

Chappin' azz since '07'

Miss me yet?
IluvMy328i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
jgrecbets

I have a question for the anti-gun people that's a really honest question. I really don't mean it with sarcasm, it's more like i would like to poll what some people think.

If sh*t were to hit the fan, who do you expect to protect you and your family?
Now I do not mean if a burglar comes into your house at night, I mean a big catastrophe... A natural disaster where people are in a panic and start looting, or a terrorist attack, or something like that. Examples that come to mind are Katrina, race riots in LA, etc.

or do you suspect that something like this won't happen?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #14
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrecbets View Post
I have a question for the anti-gun people that's a really honest question. I really don't mean it with sarcasm, it's more like i would like to poll what some people think.

If sh*t were to hit the fan, who do you expect to protect you and your family?
Now I do not mean if a burglar comes into your house at night, I mean a big catastrophe... A natural disaster where people are in a panic and start looting, or a terrorist attack, or something like that. Examples that come to mind are Katrina, race riots in LA, etc.

Do you expect something like this only to happen to the US, since you have the most guns? How do you think other countries would handle the situation?

Just putting it out there.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #15
jgrecbets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
Do you expect something like this only to happen to the US, since you have the most guns? How do you think other countries would handle the situation?

Just putting it out there.
other countries (without guns) may be setting themselves up for disaster

When I was a little kid, 2 guys came into my house with guns. My dad was up in the middle of the night and put a bullet in one guys leg. Who knows what would have happened if he didn't do this.

All i know is I want to be entitled to live on my property in peace without anyone bothering me, and if someone was to cross the line and come on to my property to hurt me, I want to have a better defense than begging them not to hurt me.
This will increase 100x when i have wife and kids.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #16
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
I think I've caught hints of this argument in this thread, but one pro-gun argument that I fail to understand is the, "if everyone had guns, gun related crime would lessen."

Our country went through a time period like that, remember the "Wild, Wild, West?" No thanks.

Quote:
A natural disaster where people are in a panic and start looting, or a terrorist attack, or something like that. Examples that come to mind are Katrina, race riots in LA, etc.

As opposed to what the sensationalized media shows, the majority of people don't flip out when a tornado comes to town and they start looting or killing people. I was here when hurricane Katrina came to town, you know what happened? I got the fcuk out, just as most normal people did. Riots? I'd get the fcuk out. Terrorist attack? How many people started knocking off fellow Americans in NYC when the Towers fell?

I live in a world free of the fears of apocalyptic events.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #17
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Quote:
other countries (without guns) may be setting themselves up for disaster

When I was a little kid, 2 guys came into my house with guns. My dad was up in the middle of the night and put a bullet in one guys leg. Who knows what would have happened if he didn't do this.

All i know is I want to be entitled to live on my property in peace without anyone bothering me, and if someone was to cross the line and come on to my property to hurt me, I want to have a better defense than begging them not to hurt me.
This will increase 100x when i have wife and kids.
I guess the obvious problem is how they got into the house in the first place without waking anyone up. I'd rather buy a quality security system than a bunch of guns. Or at least buy the former first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
I think I've caught hints of this argument in this thread, but one pro-gun argument that I fail to understand is the, "if everyone had guns, gun related crime would lessen."

Our country went through a time period like that, remember the "Wild, Wild, West?" No thanks.

As opposed to what the sensationalized media shows, the majority of people don't flip out when a tornado comes to town and they start looting or killing people. I was here when hurricane Katrina came to town, you know what happened? I got the fcuk out, just as most normal people did. Riots? I'd get the fcuk out. Terrorist attack? How many people started knocking off fellow Americans in NYC when the Towers fell?

Ironically, most of the world still has this image of the States. And with the current pro-gun arguments, they may have all right to think so.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #18
jgrecbets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
I guess the obvious problem is how they got into the house in the first place without waking anyone up. I'd rather buy a quality security system than a bunch of guns. Or at least buy the former first.

Ironically, most of the world still has this image of the States. And with the current pro-gun arguments, they may have all right to think so.
They busted through the front fukin door! this was in the late 80's and nobody had alarms.

But even if you do have surveillance and an alarm, all it tells you is "someones coming for your ass"

What action do you take at that point? you see someone on the screen (assuming you're awake)... what you do? call the cops? Ive seen cops take a solid 10 minutes to come to peoples houses when alarms ring.. common response is "well then your cops suck" ... exactly!!! I don't want to have to rely on someone else for my family's security? I want to be the cop in my house.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #19
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"A well armed society is a polite society. - Robert A. Heinlein

You don't understand it because you are not considering it from the viewpoint of someone who wishes to do harm to another person.

Quote:
A well armed populous does not necessarily equal marshal law.

But further, the police are not your friends - they are not required to protect you. That wording on their cars is nonsense. And if you do trust them, when seconds matter, the police are only minutes away.

Nobody cares about your personal protection like you do. If you are okay with taking your chances with the police, that's fine. Just don't infringe my ability to protect myself.

Quote:

Well, there's one very real situation, described below. You might recognize it.

"When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

The government needs to keep its corrupt laws away from law abiding citizens' guns. The government should live in constant fear of the populous - not the other way around. As our declaration of independence showed, the final check and balance to a government's power is the populous' ability to defend itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #20
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
"A well armed society is a polite society. - Robert A. Heinlein

You don't understand it because you are not considering it from the viewpoint of someone who wishes to do harm to another person.

A well armed populous does not necessarily equal marshal law.

But further, the police are not your friends - they are not required to protect you. That wording on their cars is nonsense. And if you do trust them, when seconds matter, the police are only minutes away.

Nobody cares about your personal protection like you do. If you are okay with taking your chances with the police, that's fine. Just don't infringe my ability to protect myself.

Well, there's one very real situation, described below. You might recognize it.

"When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

The government needs to keep its corrupt laws away from law abiding citizens' guns. The government should live in constant fear of the populous - not the other way around. As our declaration of independence showed, the final check and balance to a government's power is the populous' ability to defend itself.

Bud, we just have a polar opposite view of life, government, and society. I appreciate your well thought out and respectful response, even if I see the world differently.