E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
conv440

My Ride: will never be done
Wheel swap: Square to Round Airbag

So I know the steering wheel swap has been covered about a thousand times but all the posts I've found were round airbag to round airbag (sport wheel to M-tech) and triangle to round. I couldn't find a single thread or picture on the removal of a square air bag. When I did this last weekend it took me an hour to figure out how to take off the standard square air bag. Maybe it was just me but I tried to use the same 'feel around for a spring clip' technique as on the round one. FAIL! Once the old bag was off it took about 10 minutes to complete the rest of the swap. Please don't flame me for re-posting as this info is not out there as far as I could find on this site or many others. This procedure will work for installing both the sport and M-Tech wheels. So to hopefully prevent anyone else from having to rediscover this simple thing here goes:

Tools:
10mm socket - for battery terminal
T-30 torx bit - to remove square bag
long skinny flathead - to remove round bag
16mm socket - to pull bolt securing wheel
thread locker
common sense

Step 1
Disconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes. This will prevent the airbag light from coming on when you are done.

Step 2
Working from the backside of the old wheel use a T-30 torx bit to loosen the two bolts securing the airbag. Mystery solved. Note: mine were on TIGHT!

Step 3
Disconnect the two electrical connectors at the top of the column. There is a clip that you need to push in from the top to release each connector. Set old square airbag aside.

Step 3
Using a 16mm 1/2 drive socket remove the bolt holding the wheel to the column. Again, I did not know what to expect at this point after pulling may wheels from American cars that were force fit and require a wheel puller. It turns out that with the bolt out the wheel slides right off, no puller required.

Step 4
You may need to remove the new, round airbag from the new wheel as I did. This has been covered a bunch of times so search. But basically you take your long flat-head screwdriver and insert it into the holes in the back of the wheel pushing in sideways toward the center of the wheel to locate and depress some very tight spring clips on either side.

Step 4
Install new wheel on column. Be sure to line up the key at the bottom of the wheel with the key on the spine of the steering column. Put lock tight on bolt, reinstall and torque to 46 ft/lbs.

Step 5
Connect the two electrical connectors from the round bag into the sockets on the column. The two wiring harnesses look completely different but are plug n play. Line up the air bag in the opening with the top tilted forward, push it firmly into the opening.

Step 6
Reconnect the battery. At this point I turned on the ignition and got several warning lights on the dash. The radio also started to scan through channels on it's own. I started to freak out. I shut off the ignition and turned it back on. Everything reset and worked perfectly, steering wheel controls, lights, etc and no dash lights! Yahoo! Pretty new steering wheel.

I should add that this how it worked for my 2004 330xi. I can't guarantee that this is the same for every e46. This is absolutely the best mod available to make your ride feel more sport and less luxury!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	315202   Click image for larger version

Name:	square wheel.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	315203   Click image for larger version

Name:	T-30 Screw.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	315204   Click image for larger version

Name:	bag screw.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	315205  

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel off.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	315206   Click image for larger version

Name:	round bag.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	315208   Click image for larger version

Name:	new wheel on.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	315209   Click image for larger version

Name:	pretty new wheel.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	315210  

Last edited by conv440; 05-16-2009 at 10:41 AM.
conv440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
muly

My Ride: 330 sport vert
Great writeup, i will be changing my wheel soon
muly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
ledfut

My Ride: '99 328i
I desperately have to do this. I hate my square wheel.
ledfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
W///

My Ride: E30, E46, E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledfut View Post
I desperately have to do this. I hate my square wheel.
I got a 328i as well and changed to a round airbag steering wheel. Did the same procedure and got an airbag light that will NOT clear with the peake tool. Build is a 9/99.

Just a heads up I guess
W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
ledfut

My Ride: '99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I got a 328i as well and changed to a round airbag steering wheel. Did the same procedure and got an airbag light that will NOT clear with the peake tool. Build is a 9/99.

Just a heads up I guess
Awesome, thanks for that. I appreciate it.

I believe it's an issue between the older single-stage airbags we have, and the dual stage airbags that the newer e46's have. a dealer reflash might work, or a new airbag control module.

I think i'm going to look into trying to find an old 3 spoke wheel with the triangle airbag from the early sport models.

Last edited by ledfut; 05-18-2009 at 02:57 PM.
ledfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
paulo-M

My Ride: 320d [e46]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

Just a heads up I guess
I had a similar problem...
I have a 2000 e46 with the square wheel, but mine was already a 2 stage one, instead of the early models with just 1 stage.
BUT, after trying to install it, the airbag light came on, I cleared it completely, but after turning the ignition it was on again.
then I got another round airbag that was somehow different on the back and also the part number was different. I installed it, turned the ignition and the airbag light didn't come on again

So I wanted to ask, could the first airbag I tried be incompatible with my car, or is it faulty?

Regards,
Paulo
paulo-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
punishere46

My Ride: bmw 328i 2000
Great Post!!!! I just did my steering wheel swap following your inst. thanks
Fanatics like you make the web site as great as it is!!!
punishere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
taskeen21

My Ride: 2002 325i
Newbie trying this firt time.....More pictures needed

Hi there,

I am newbie....Just bought a 2002 325i 4dr Sedan that came with a 4-spoke steering. I wanted to change this to a 3-spoke M or 3-spoke sport one. i read this thread but kind of confused with the steps and pictures. would really appreciate if you can add some more pictures with arrow marks showing the exact screws and wires and stuff to work with.........i just dont want to have the air bag slam on my face....... also, how do i know if my car has a 1 stage airbag or 2 stage airbag???...i read a lot about these things but couldn't figure out what my actually came with......
lastly, where can i find these steering wheels for the cheapest possible, yet good condition, near los angeles, CA ?
thanks in advance.

peace.
taskeen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:28 AM   #9
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
where was this thread when i swap my carpets

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
drumbum624

My Ride: 325xi
Send a message via AIM to drumbum624
just thought id resurrect this thread because i'm curious about some of the questions that were asked here. anybody have any ideas?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
grandcarrera

My Ride: 330xi 2003
what kind of T-30 torx do u use mine is too long !!
grandcarrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
conv440

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandcarrera View Post
what kind of T-30 torx do u use mine is too long !!
Here's the T-30

Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
zanga254

My Ride: 2002 325xi ZPP
Send a message via Skype™ to zanga254
Bump? I have a 2002 325xi, i would assume i'd need to buy a round airbag along with the round steering wheel is this true? Is this difference in airbag the only reason why most companies are only suggesting round to round swap or is there something bigger i need to be aware of?
zanga254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
conv440

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanga254 View Post
Bump? I have a 2002 325xi, i would assume i'd need to buy a round airbag along with the round steering wheel is this true? Is this difference in airbag the only reason why most companies are only suggesting round to round swap or is there something bigger i need to be aware of?
Zanga254, You will need the round airbag to go with your new wheel. The square bag won't work in a round hole, LOL. Nothing else you need that I'm aware of other than possibly the difference between single stage vs. two stage mentioned by paulo-M. I didn't have any of those problems on my 2004.

Last edited by conv440; 01-02-2012 at 07:29 PM.
conv440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
yoshii

My Ride: 323i 2k
Awesome write up thanks for sharing! will be doing this at the end of the week.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
thanks for the write up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #17
jgs99v

My Ride: E46 328I
Guys - yes great write up.
However one missing factor - how about the multi-function keys?
Has anyone performed this swap on a 99 E46 and their multi-function; volume, station, phone, cruise control function actually working correctly?
This is my biggest concern.

thanks,

jack ~
jgs99v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
conv440

Jack,
The multi-function keys on the wheel work fine on the 2004. I see no reason why they wouldn't on a 99 but as they say 'your actual results may vary'.
Chris
Old 12-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #19
yoshii

My Ride: 323i 2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgs99v View Post
Has anyone performed this swap on a 99 E46 and their multi-function; volume, station, phone, cruise control function actually working correctly?

thanks,

jack ~
Worked on My 2000 323i no issues.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #20
wheelm@n

My Ride: 316 E46 2000
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgs99v View Post

thanks,

jack ~
Works like a charm in my 316i '00 M43tu,
i allready had mfl so i didn't had to change slip ring too
wheelm@n is offline   Reply With Quote