E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
BimmerIsMyName
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: University of Minnesota-Duluth (UMD)
Posts: 1,331
My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
Gun Fanatics Please Check in....

So my brother, who i view as being a complete dumbass, is once again showing his colors. He seems to think that it SHOULD NOT be a constitutional right for American Citizens to legally own a firearm. He went onto attempt to state that if a foreign power such as China were ever to invade the United States, that 90% of the people who own a gun would be stupid enough to get themselves killed by running at the enemy Banzi style . Honestly the way i see it is that the 90% wouldn't do that but be smart enough to use Guerilla Tactics to outwit and outsmart the enemy.

Another point that he wants to be right about, is that he claims 90% of the people who own AR-15's are dumb stupid rednecks who only vote for Bush.

Also, my brother believes that because we have a standing army that NO American citizen should be able to own a gun.





Someone please help me set my brother straight.
__________________


2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback, 18" BBS CK
BimmerIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,474
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
I don't own my gun because I think we are being invaded, in fact, I own my gun because, well because I don't need a reason.

A gun has never, in the history of the world, killed a single person

Every person has the right to protect themselves.

Gun Control worked great for.....

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the supply of arms to the underdogs is a sine qua non for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or native police. German troops alone will bear the sole responsibility for the maintenance of law and order throughout the occupied Russian territories, and a system of military strong-points must be evolved to cover the entire occupied country." --Adolf Hitler
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 05-31-2009 at 07:31 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
BmwMan325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 759
My Ride: 2011 Infiniti G37s
__________________
BmwMan325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
russ330
Mod Squad
 
russ330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Mississippi's Gulf Coast
Posts: 15,802
My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
I like your brother.
__________________
russ330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Goughie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Over the pond...
Posts: 562
My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
A gun has never, in the history of the world, killed a single person
Seriously, it's comments like this that does a massive dis-service to your cause JJ. No right minded person could really see this comment as anything other than massively blinkered. I'll bet you $100 that you're not this literal in most other aspects of your life.

Do you not comprehend that the gun cannot function without a human and by extrapolation the two (when used to kill) are simply two parts of the same device? By their very nature, relative ease of use and most importantly their primary function, people are simply more likely to kill with them when guns are in the hands of a populace than in populations where they are (generally) not.

Your point about your constitutional right to bear arms is a bit of a red herring in this argument. If your reading of the constitution is so formed, then that is your perogative - it does not affect the basic premise of what I am saying.

Whilst I understand your arguments regarding the safe use of guns by the majority of law abiding owners, you simply cannot ignore the fact that, despite the assertions of the gun lobby about guns being safe, you have over 10,000 people killed each year in the US by firearms who would no doubt see things very differently.
__________________
http://i38.tinypic.com/oif03r.png
Sig is a BlownE30M3 production!

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010

Last edited by Goughie; 06-01-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
LoveMyBMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 185
My Ride: 2004 330i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughie View Post
Seriously, it's comments like this that does a massive dis-service to your cause JJ. No right minded person could really see this comment as anything other than massively blinkered. I'll bet you $100 that you're not this literal in most other aspects of your life.

Do you not comprehend that the gun cannot function without a human and by extrapolation the two (when used to kill) are simply two parts of the same device? By their very nature, relative ease of use and most importantly their primary function, people are simply more likely to kill with them when guns are in the hands of a populace than in populations where they are (generally) not.

Your point about your constitutional right to bear arms is a bit of a red herring in this argument. If your reading of the constitution is so formed, then that is your perogative - it does not affect the basic premise of what I am saying.

Whilst I understand your arguments regarding the safe use of guns by the majority of law abiding owners, you simply cannot ignore the fact that, despite the assertions of the gun lobby about guns being safe, you have over 10,000 people killed each year in the US by firearms who would no doubt see things very differently.
Gun deaths = 10,000 per year = .003 percent, or 3 thousandths of one percent (population 300,000,000)

You have not specified how many of these are suicides, accidents, or homicides. This additional data, I surmise, would serve to make this percentage even more insignificant.

Auto accident deaths are 5 times greater = approx. 50,000 per year = 0.016 percent, or 16 thousandths of one percent, and nobody suggest banning cars.

In short: PERSPECTIVE! Use it or lose it.
__________________
+1 other than the schlong comment.
LoveMyBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Goughie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Over the pond...
Posts: 562
My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBMW View Post
Gun deaths = 10,000 per year = .003 percent, or 3 thousandths of one percent (population 300,000,000)

You have not specified how many of these are suicides, accidents, or homicides. This additional data, I surmise, would serve to make this percentage even more insignificant.

Auto accident deaths are 5 times greater = approx. 50,000 per year = 0.016 percent, or 16 thousandths of one percent, and nobody suggest banning cars.

In short: PERSPECTIVE! Use it or lose it.
You're missing my point. It matters not if gun crimes are suicides or homicides. In both cases the desired result was death. Just as the majority of fatal RTA's are just that - accidents. It's the intent of usage of the gun or car that's key to my argument. Guns are designed to be used to kill, cars are not.

In short - design function - understand it or step away from the car...
__________________
http://i38.tinypic.com/oif03r.png
Sig is a BlownE30M3 production!

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
LoveMyBMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 185
My Ride: 2004 330i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughie View Post
You're missing my point. It matters not if gun crimes are suicides or homicides. In both cases the desired result was death. Just as the majority of fatal RTA's are just that - accidents. It's the intent of usage of the gun or car that's key to my argument. Guns are designed to be used to kill, cars are not.

In short - design function - understand it or step away from the car...
Nah, not buying it.

design function of gun = shoot projectile long distances at high velocity
design function of knives = hard cutting edge cleaves softer materials
design function of explosives = pressure wave due to expanding gasses

All three can be used, and are usually used, for the benefit of mankind, and yet all three can be misused to kill people.

I can also use things not designed for killing to kill people. Anything with enough mass can crush if accelerated into someone's head or body, many otherwise useful substances can be used to poison people.
__________________
+1 other than the schlong comment.
LoveMyBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,474
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughie View Post
you have over 10,000 people killed each year in the US by firearms who would no doubt see things very differently.
More people are killed every year while engaging in rough sex
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
spikester550
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 1,004
My Ride: 330ci, 86.5 hardbody
Send a message via AIM to spikester550
1. how old is your brother?

2. Did he graduate?

3. Hit him over the head for me.
__________________
MODS
ESS TX2, 3.38 Diff, K&N CAI, 19" LM's, UUC TSE3,
30 LED AE, OEM MT2 Front & Rear,
CF CSL Trunk, Black Kidney Grills, Smoked Corners,
Painted Reflectors, M3 Steering Wheel,
ZHP Shift Knob, Clutch Stop, Shark Injector,
15mm Spacers, 3k DDM HID Fogs, OEM M3 Hood,
Coilovers, UUC Sways, and many more..
spikester550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #11
BimmerIsMyName
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: University of Minnesota-Duluth (UMD)
Posts: 1,331
My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikester550 View Post
1. how old is your brother?

2. Did he graduate?

3. Hit him over the head for me.
1. 21

2. Graduates college next year

3. I was thinking more along the lines of posting his email here for all PRO gun people to send him stuff
__________________


2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback, 18" BBS CK
BimmerIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
spikester550
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 1,004
My Ride: 330ci, 86.5 hardbody
Send a message via AIM to spikester550
and 4. Gun control is not about guns its about CONTROL!
__________________
MODS
ESS TX2, 3.38 Diff, K&N CAI, 19" LM's, UUC TSE3,
30 LED AE, OEM MT2 Front & Rear,
CF CSL Trunk, Black Kidney Grills, Smoked Corners,
Painted Reflectors, M3 Steering Wheel,
ZHP Shift Knob, Clutch Stop, Shark Injector,
15mm Spacers, 3k DDM HID Fogs, OEM M3 Hood,
Coilovers, UUC Sways, and many more..
spikester550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
Penguin Koolaid
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chitown
Posts: 6,701
My Ride: Inline Six
Why did I click this thread
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #14
Coldintake
Registered OG User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: LA(no more OC)
Posts: 601
My Ride: Mid-engine beast
4chan him. It's the only thing to do against the stupid.
__________________
Coldintake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #15
ThEnder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 449
My Ride: has twin turbos
here are some things for your brother to think about

if there is a standing army, and an armed police force, then the only people that would have guns is the government. if for any reason the government became intolerable as it did for the writers of the constitution, we would not be able to do anything about it. we are granted the right to form militias for the same reason - to have a check against the government

however it is unlikely that we would need to overthrow the government, so a more practical reason for gun ownership is to enable hunting, and because shooting is fun. guns do not kill people, people do - trying to stop violence by taking away a tool is a ridiculous solution and an insane way to make policy
__________________
ThEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #16
spikester550
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 1,004
My Ride: 330ci, 86.5 hardbody
Send a message via AIM to spikester550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEnder View Post
here are some things for your brother to think about

if there is a standing army, and an armed police force, then the only people that would have guns is the government. if for any reason the government became intolerable as it did for the writers of the constitution, we would not be able to do anything about it. we are granted the right to form militias for the same reason - to have a check against the government

however it is unlikely that we would need to overthrow the government, so a more practical reason for gun ownership is to enable hunting, and because shooting is fun. guns do not kill people, people do - trying to stop violence by taking away a tool is a ridiculous solution and an insane way to make policy

+1 nice explanation!
__________________
MODS
ESS TX2, 3.38 Diff, K&N CAI, 19" LM's, UUC TSE3,
30 LED AE, OEM MT2 Front & Rear,
CF CSL Trunk, Black Kidney Grills, Smoked Corners,
Painted Reflectors, M3 Steering Wheel,
ZHP Shift Knob, Clutch Stop, Shark Injector,
15mm Spacers, 3k DDM HID Fogs, OEM M3 Hood,
Coilovers, UUC Sways, and many more..
spikester550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 PM   #17
Allure
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Anywhere in an Hour
Posts: 967
My Ride: Is Slower Than Yours
Ban guns.
Allure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #18
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,950
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Your brother is an idiot.

For the record, I have a lot of guns including AR-15 and I voted for Obama.

Keep your political comments to yourself, I was answering a question.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #19
budman
-not a mod-
 
budman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: South Flo Rida
Posts: 31,543
My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Ban Allures.
__________________
-Gunnar
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:03 PM   #20
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,950
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allure View Post
Ban guns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Ban Allures.
Shoot Allure
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use