E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
TiAgTouring

My Ride: has a D-Pillar
ZHP exhaust on a 323iT, cat-back?

So I am going to pick up a ZHP exhaust, just the muffler section. I have a few options:

1) Just weld muffler on after 2nd resonator (I'd need a Y pipe cause I have a single 2.5 inch mid pipe). This would be the easiest, cost the least, but be the least effective

2) After 1st resonator, build 2 1.5 inch mid pipes made of stainless back to the ZHP exhaust (which on stock ZHP requires 2x 1.5 inch pipes)

3) Custom stainless exhaust from cats back (most expensive, most effective)

I am looking for a deeper sound, without anything too loud or aftermarket. It would be nice if I could pick up some hp along the way.
Thoughts?

Some questions:
1) ZHP exhausts are stainless correct?
2) Do I have to go with stainless for my mid pipes? (I know it would be best?)
3) I've heard rumors that if I dont do cat-back I could lose some low-end torque?

Sold but missed: 323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR

Current: Eurospec imported 2003 330XI 6MT
TiAgTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
TiAgTouring

Anyone???

Or should I get a 330 exhaust for cat-back then just weld the ZHP muffler on?

Sold but missed: 323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR

Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Highline
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: bmw
option 2 sounds the best to begin with.
Highline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
AdamBath

My Ride: E30
Where are you getting your numbers from? 1.5" piping on a ZHP? I thought it was 2" ID piping, and I thought the midpipe on the 323/328 was 3"? The ZHP muffler also isn't a higher performing muffler, it may sound a little bit different, but it seems like you're going through a lot of work for a nominal at best change in tone.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
TiAgTouring

From what Ive read,

323/328 is twin 2.25 inch pipes til 1st resonator, then single 2.5 inch pipe the rest of the way

325/330/ZHP is twin 1.5 inch pipes from cats all the way back. Everything I've read says this is soo much better than single 2.5 inch pipe, and is a much better design

You are right that Im not going to be getting amazing gains or a huge change in tone/ volume, but I just want a little bit (can't be too loud b/c of where I live). I am also looking for a cost-effective solution, and don't want to spend much over $300 for parts AND labor.

Ideas or thoughts? Thanks

Old 08-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
AdamBath

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...35&hg=18&fg=20

This mentions 50mm, which, when converted to inches, is 1.96", or 2" for convenience in the States for thr 325/330/ZHP...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...26&hg=18&fg=20

This mentions 65mm, which, when converted to inches, is 2.5, so you're right there about the 323/328.

Do you have emissions testing in Ohio? If not, consider headers. They will give a great tone(IMO), give nice performance gains, and you won't have to hack anything up or weld anything.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
TiAgTouring

Oh, thanks for the correction on the 325/330/ ZHP piping...that would have been a bad mistake!!

We used to have emissions in OH, but now we don't...and probably won't get them back anytime soon. I've been looking into ebay headers...but I really dont want anything TOO loud- just very sporty and deep, and if I could pick up some Hp or Torque along the way, That'd be great.

So if I did ebay headers, kept my stock cats, deleted both resonators, and did twin 2' pipes all the way back to the exhaust, do you think that'd be effective and sound good?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
AdamBath

I've got some vids of my 330 with headers and completely stock exhaust. Yours wouldn't be too different, and I think it'll achieve what you want.

Ahh crap youtube is down for maintenance. Stay tuned, I'll post them soon.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
AdamBath

There you go
Old 08-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #10
TiAgTouring

Nice! Sounds about what I want. And you still have both resonators right? If I went ahead with headers and a full 330 exhaust with a ZHP muffler, I'd probably lose at least 1 resonator, so it'd be even louder.

Thanks for all of your help man. Now I've just gotta figure out what kind of 2x 2.0 piping Im gonna do from my cats back...is stainless needed, or should I do an X pipe?

Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #11
AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgTouring View Post
Nice! Sounds about what I want. And you still have both resonators right? If I went ahead with headers and a full 330 exhaust with a ZHP muffler, I'd probably lose at least 1 resonator, so it'd be even louder.

Thanks for all of your help man. Now I've just gotta figure out what kind of 2x 2.0 piping Im gonna do from my cats back...is stainless needed, or should I do an X pipe?
Yeah, in that vid I had all resonators, muffler, etc, everything was stock besides headers. Now I don't have headers anymore(but I will again soon), but I removed the middle resonator, and really like how it sounds with the stock exhaust, though it does drone a little bit now. I don't think an X pipe is necissary on an inline engine... on a V engine I can understand it, but I know that some people have done it on here, and it really hasn't done much of anything for them.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
TiAgTouring

Sounds good. Now all I have to do is find a full 330 exhaust and ZHP muffler. I am definitely doing ebay headers and race cats. Thanks for the info Adam- tons of help!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
TiAgTouring

Been searching for awhile, and I know I need a 2.25 inch Cat...but do I just need one?

Old 12-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #14
Johnson023
Banned User

My Ride: SDF
Over on bimmerforums, there is a forum just devoted to engine transplants in various BMW's.
Johnson023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
E46iT

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
what is the difference between zhp muffler and bmw performance muffler cause i got BMWP muffler on mine?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
TiAgTouring

^Good question. Not sure. I'd imagine they would be fairly similar...