E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
titan510

My Ride: zhp 6sp, 528iA sp
Dr.ColorChip review with before and after photos

Pro:
  • Easy to apply
  • Relatively cheap
  • It works, it met my expectation

Con:
  • Time!

After reading all the Dr.CC threads in this forum I figure it wouldn't hurt to give it a try since more than 90% of the customers had positive feedback. However most of the threads didn't have any before/after photos so I was still a little skeptical.

Now I'm a firm believer for this product....

It came with 2 other brushes (total 3) I only used the smallest one

My hood and front bumper looks like an old guy that had forgotten to shave, it's got white specs everywhere from pebbles, sand, rocks, you name it... It was the perfect candidate to do the soak T-shirt method, however I thought the slow method (hand dot each and every spec) would have a better outcome.

Beside I wasn't sure what to expect and didn't want to waste paint...

For this review I will only show the passenger side of the hood right above the front headlights and small section around the grill:

Using the method Dr.CC suggested: paint then smear -this helps the paint dry (also it helps to eliminate a haze on clear coat if left alone to dry)

Using the SealAct to remove excessive paint

After a light buffed with the yellow fiber towel that was included - I know you can still see some white specs...it was sorta quick job

This took about 1hr 15 mins and was the first past...I'll probably do it again or just move onto the bumper tomorrow. I'm not sure if the camera captured all the effects, sorry I didn't use my DSLR got lazy and used the wifey's point and shoot.

I'm satify with the outcome!

Feel free to ask any questions...

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
ProReflection
Auto Detail Austin TX

My Ride: 972-834-9150
interesting
ProReflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
hmmmmm
Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Motorglobin

My Ride: 2004 330xi
wow looks great, thanks for the review i might be trying this.

Motorglobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
StreetTrixE4six
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 08' 328i E92
Regardless if it came out perfect or not, it still looks 1000 times better. Nice work, looks great. I'm going to have to try this as well.

Question: Is it a paint specifically to match the factory color or you just get a color and it will do the job? Like just get black for any black car, dark blue for any blue car, white for any white car, etc...

Thanks
StreetTrixE4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
Hogan773

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetTrixE4six View Post
Regardless if it came out perfect or not, it still looks 1000 times better. Nice work, looks great. I'm going to have to try this as well.

Question: Is it a paint specifically to match the factory color or you just get a color and it will do the job? Like just get black for any black car, dark blue for any blue car, white for any white car, etc...

Thanks
No its specifically matched when you order.

Ive tried it some more on my Honda (used my BMW black for my Honda FYI) and it works OK for little chips. Its not a perfect fix if you look closely, but it basically takes away the white in the chip so it looks better from casual viewing.

I'm still not convinced its worth $60 vs normal touchup paint which can be had for $6 - if you are very careful and use a tiny brush with normal touchup paint, the effect is the same for casual viewing. You can also wetsand touchup paint, which I've never done, but my guess is that is the best solution if you really want to do it right.
Hogan773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
Sneaky

My Ride: Fixie
is your car jet black or black saphire?

Sig by So Lowww
Pictures I take
OVOxo till we overdose
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
is your car jet black or black saphire?
Black Sapphire Metallic, 475 (listed on the top of his paint bottle)

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #9
titan510

My Ride: zhp 6sp, 528iA sp
thanks to both Hogan773 and wdeerfield for answering those questions.

475 = Sapphire Black

Not exactly sure what chemical is in the SealAct bottle, but if you can get a hold of that then I would say go for it and just buy a bottle of touch-up paint and save some $$.

From past experiences I always made a mess with touch-up paints, I usually put too much or it smears out of the perimeter of the chipped area = looks ugly. However this product allows me to get messy, paint over the edges of the chip or scratch and just use the SealAct formula to wipe it off leaving only the chipped/scratch area with paint.

Seriously though it does look 100x better, but by no means does it look like show quality or like a new paint job...deep chips will still have the dip but from 2 ft away you can't tell only under close examination.

To me it looks a world of differences. Now when I walk up to my car the hood doesn't look all beat up and that alone puts a on my face!
Old 09-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
idriveane34

My Ride: kills bugs
I just used my Dr. Colorchip today that I've been putting off for over a month..... painted over 20 years of road rash on my grille and the front of my hood. I have no before photos, but I'll be shooting some afters tomorrow... it looks amazing. When I run out, I will be buying more. Well worth the 50-something bucks... I'm impressed.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
fobe46

My Ride: 05 m3
Anyone know if it'll work on a chip the size of a nickel?
Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
fobe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
20ducks

My Ride: E46 M3 Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by fobe46 View Post
I'm not sure that this procedure/product is suitable for that. And I hardly believe something the size of a nickel can be called a "chip".

My M3 is Titanium silver. If I wet sand the areas around these rock chips to knock down the edges etc will that help or hinder the ColorChip repair process?

TIA
20ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
ngng

My Ride: with four wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by fobe46 View Post
um. lol.

I tried to put my mod list in my sig, but it wouldn't fit.

ACNA, BMWCCA, NASA, SCCA, WMRRA
ngng is offline   Reply With Quote