E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 03:37 AM   #1
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
DIY Parrot CK3000 with Connects2 Steering Wheel harness

I just completed my Parrot CK3000 with Connects2 Steering Wheel harness Bluetooth install

Here's a link to my site:
http://www.bokchoys.com/differential..._bluetooth.htm

I created this DIY since I couldn't find a good DIY using the CK3000 and the Connects2 interface. It's a pretty simple DIY. plug and play.

I decided to go with the Parrot CK3000 / Connects2 (CTPPAR007 or CTPPAR008) because they're a lot cheaper then the BMW OEM retrofit. You still maintain usage of the Steering wheel functions, but you don't get all the cool features of the OEM kit.

Total cost for me was $150 (Parrot CK3000 was $65 on ebay, CTPPAR007 cost me $85 shipped from the UK). If my car wasn't 10 years old, I would have gone with the OEM retrofit. but... I can't get myself to spent $450 just to have bluetooth in my car. (I'm trying to save for a new car )

I'm still going to go back and add some details to pictures when I have more time.

Last edited by sycE46; 10-14-2009 at 03:46 AM.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Nice write up.
Thanks so much for sharing this!
I was looking for a DIY for OEM Bluetooth Retrofit that didn't cost $700 (I'm a stout believer that Bluetooth and iPhone/iPod Connectors should not cost more than Cellphones and iPhones they are connecting to your car).

I was going to get another brand kit, but this may be better since I use the steering wheel.

TWO QUESTIONS:

What features do you lose compared to what you would get with the OEM kit? I kind of have an idea of the OEM kit but I assumed all kits worked like the OEM kit where the features are only limited by the handheld that you are connecting to it.

Also once the full kit is hooked up, are all the main functions of the Parrot kit (call/pick up/mute-radio) accessed on steering wheel buttons OR do you also have to have that gawd ugly Parrot CK3000 Evolution remote controller glued to your dash board?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 10-15-2009 at 12:53 AM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:53 AM   #3
sycE46

The OEM kit displays the called ID on the radio when someone calls. You're also able to scroll through your phonebook on the car display. (that's what I've heard).

The Parrot CK3000 evo / Connects2 kit allows you to use the Steering wheel controls for the following:
- Answer
- hangup
- Adjust the volume of the Speaker phone
- switch between speaker phone and cell phone
- redial last number
- Voice Dialing if you cell phone supports it.

The sound comes out of your stereo when you're using speakerphone. It mutes the radio when you get a call.
The Kit syncs up to your bluetooth phone each time you turn on your car. You'll hear a beep and the radio will flash "phone" to let you know it sync'd up properly.

You don't need the ugly Parrot controller for anything. I think it needs to be plugged in order for the Parrot BT to function properly and to change the settings.

Last edited by sycE46; 11-12-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
That's a great writeup there sycE46, well done.
I've had the kit for almost 2 years now and it's worked flawlessly, very happy with it.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
delmarco

Thanks again.
How is it working since you installed it?

I was reading a couple of the negative Amazon.com reviews on the Parrot CK3000 and some folks say that
above highway speeds the Parrot's DSP/noise reduction distorts what the person hears on the other end.
Also the car speakers can feedback to the mic so the person on the other end hears an echo.

Based on that I have two more questions:

1. I'm wondering if the kit will work with other Parrot BT kits or various brand kits? It doesn't really say.

2. Also my 2001 330i now has a 2005 BMW Business CD53 (the newer Alpine one with MP3/Sirius/iPod) radio installed after I upgraded from the original 2001 BMW Business CD53. Does that I mean I get the steering wheel adapter kit based on the year of the radio in my car or just the year of the car? Does it connect to the radio or the car? It isn't really clear.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
sycE46

It's working fine so far. I've only had it for 2 days now. The people I've talked to haven't complained about the voice quality. No feedback / echo.. but they can hear the road noise. I haven't driven on the highway and talked to anyone using it yet.

The Connects2 adapter only works with the Parrot CK3000 Evo. it doesn't work with any of the other Parrot bluetooth modules (CK3100... or any other)

The wiring harness sits between the car's Connector and the CD-player.

Since you have a newer deck. You probably have an additional adapter sitting between the Car and the CD player to convert the old 17pin connector to the newer 40pin connector.

I have a feeling CTPPAR008 or the CTPPAR007 will work for your car.

it would look like this

(car - 17 pin) --> (17 to 40pin converter) --> ( CTPPAR008 40pin) --> (CD Player 40pin )

or

(car - 17 pin) --> ( CTPPAR007 17pin) --> (17 to 40pin converter) --> (CD Player 40pin )

You should pop the deck out and see what you really have back there. Also try e-mailing connects2. See what they say.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
delmarco

Thanks.
I will check it out when I get home today.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
This is a great write up. Did the "R/T" button work with the Connect2 so that it displays your phone list on the radio display and allow scrolling with the volume up and down keys ... then could you dial with the "talking head" button like the OEM kit allows?
On the voice quality, secure placement of the mic so that it doesn't vibrate around avoids the noise delmarco mentioned. The mic compartment by the rear view mirror probably help keep it solidly attached.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
sycE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
This is a great write up. Did the "R/T" button work with the Connect2 so that it displays your phone list on the radio display and allow scrolling with the volume up and down keys ... then could you dial with the "talking head" button like the OEM kit allows?
On the voice quality, secure placement of the mic so that it doesn't vibrate around avoids the noise delmarco mentioned. The mic compartment by the rear view mirror probably help keep it solidly attached.
The Parrot CK3000 Evo / Connects2 harness does NOT display your phone list on the Radio like the BMW OEM Bluetooth.

The only way to dial using the Parrot Kit is by Voice Dialing (only if you phone supports Data push) or by dialing directly from your phone. This is probably the biggest limitation by going with the Parrot CK3000 / Connects2.

You CAN redial the last number from the steering wheel controls.

Again... this is a cheap solution to get Speaker phone / Bluetooth working while maintaining use of the Steering Wheel controls.

EDIT:

I was wrong. You can voice dial even if your phone doesn't support data push. I tried this on my iPhone 3GS. When you press the speech / telephone button, it'll activate the iPhone's voice controls.

Last edited by sycE46; 11-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
sycE46

Here's use guide for the Steering wheel controls when you have the Parrot CK3000 Evo / Connects2 steering wheel harness

1. ANSWERING A CALL
Press the SPEECH BUTTON (telephone button)

2. ENDING A CALL
Press the R/T button.

3. DISCRETE MODE
Press the SPEECH BUTTON (telephone button) during a call to switch call to handset, Press again to return to car.

4. REDIAL LAST NUMBER
Press and hold the SPEECH BUTTON (telephone button) for 2 seconds

5. ACTIVATE VOICE DIALING
Short press of SPEECH BUTTON (telephone button)

6. ADJUSTING VOLUME OF CALL
When call has connected the VOLUME KEYS will adjust the volume of the call.

Last edited by sycE46; 10-16-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
delmarco

Old 10-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Inspired by this DIY I bought the Parrot CK3000 and Connects2 for E46. The DIY is excellent to follow, but I thought I'd add some bits based on my experience

The Parrot kit includes 2 harnesses that are not required because the BMW radio/ Connects2 module already have the features ie ISO and Mute. You will not use the Parrot wire harness.

The most difficult part of the install for me was moving the OEM radio harness aside, pushing the Connects2 male harness end to the left side of the vent, and routing the wiring thru the back of the radio bracket (use the left opening).

Pull the Connects2 wiring loom around the vents and to the module storage behind the glove box. Test fit the radio. If you can't push it all the way in, adjust the run of the wires.

The Parrot modules simply connect to the Connects2 module. I stored the Parrot module and control button in the next shelf over as done by sycE46.

For the mic, from behind the glovebox, I used a paint spatula to push the thin cord under the felt/ rubber holding the pillar airbag cover.

Across the top I pushed the cord under the headliner. At the mirror there is enough movement in the headliner for me to pry an opening and push the mic bulb through to the small mic opening in the headliner. With that panel removed I ziptied the excess mic cord and affixed the mic to the mic opening grill.

Default pairing code for Parrot is 1234

Every time you enter the car with your phone it will automatically pair in about 20 seconds, with a short beep to signal this. My Dice and BMW aux work like before. Thanks for the DIY sycE46!

Last edited by xi_ter; 10-27-2009 at 11:08 PM.
xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:17 AM   #13
sycE46

Yah.. the hardest part for me was finding a place to put the wiring harness. I spent a good hour trying to jam it behind the radio. Eventually I discovered there's a ton of space above the radio where the vents are located. Once i packed all the wires in there, the radio slid in without any problems.

Last edited by sycE46; 10-29-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
delmarco

Thanks All.
I'm still waiting for my kit to come in

Old 10-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
sycE46 / xi_ter thanks for the diy & extra notes.

I just ordered a ck3000 evo with a www.quickconnectproducts.com connector & their SW101 steering wheel interface that found reviews for the other day. I hope it works out as well as your install.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:37 PM   #16
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
sycE46 / xi_ter thanks for the diy & extra notes.

I just ordered a ck3000 evo with a www.quickconnectproducts.com connector & their SW101 steering wheel interface that found reviews for the other day. I hope it works out as well as your install.
You only need one part like SycE46 listed.
How come you ordered two items?

Old 10-31-2009, 10:59 PM   #17
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
You only need one part like SycE46 listed.
How come you ordered two items?
Ok, I'm not 100% sure but that is what I was told I needed.

From synE46's DIY it looks like the connect2 comes with the harness and the interface module.

The quickconnectproduct does not. The harness (QCBMW-R) is available seperately from the steering wheel interface (SW-101).

Again, this is just was I was told I needed by the guys @ quickconnectproducts. I could be wrong.

Since I am in Canada they referred me to www.acsdistributors.com
Old 11-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #18
delmarco

Yeah once you have CTPPAR007 Harness Adapter you do not need the normal adapter for the E46. The CTPP007 does both the jobs of being the harness adapter AND allowing for the steering wheel controls to work. So that is pretty much ALL you would need in addition to the Parrot CK3000's mic, controller and blue box.

To add Bluetooth the way the OP did all you need, as I understand it, are these four componenets and NOTHING ELSE:

1. Parrot CK3000 Mic
2. Parrot CK3000 Controller
3. Parrot CK3000 Blue Box
4. CTPPAR007 Harness Adapter/Steering Wheel Bluetooth control Adapter.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #19
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Yeah once you have CTPPAR007 Harness Adapter you do not need the normal adapter for the E46. The CTPP007 does both the jobs of being the harness adapter AND allowing for the steering wheel controls to work. So that is pretty much ALL you would need in addition to the Parrot CK3000's mic, controller and blue box.

To add Bluetooth the way the OP did all you need, as I understand it, are these four componenets and NOTHING ELSE:

1. Parrot CK3000 Mic
2. Parrot CK3000 Controller
3. Parrot CK3000 Blue Box
4. CTPPAR007 Harness Adapter/Steering Wheel Bluetooth control Adapter.
Thank you for the confirmation.

I just saw your post on the Dice thread but I get in trouble when I post on that thread - lol.

1. Yes the iPod interface uses the CD changer input so it will work in conjection with the bluetooth.

2. IMO you should pick something else besides Dice. Please browse this tread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=701077
Old 11-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #20
delmarco

woohooo. I just installed mine.
it is awesome! 5 stars!

NOTE: Getting everything to fit behind the radio is really the hardest part but I have an easy solution. You do not have to remove the A P!llar trim like both xi ter and SYCE46 did as the mic wire tucks right behind the felt trim running along the door-side of the A P!llar. So totally skip any step that says you have to unplug your battery and remove the entire A P!llar trim or bring down your headliner. I also did not move the MIC vent location as the bulky sunroof switch did not swap over easily to the passenger side of the hatch panel. The Parrot Mic's sounds fine in the OEM MIC vent location.

Pictorial DIY coming tonite. For $90 for the connects kit and $20 to $3 for a Parrot CK3000 kit off eBay everyone should do this mod. It is sooooo easy and the rewards are nice!