E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
roastbeef
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,136
My Ride: 325ci
new rims/tires soon- questions about best setup for better handling.

i'm looking to get new tires and rims for my 325ci soon. i want my rim/tire size combination to be of best performance as far as rim diameter, offset, and width, as well as tire size.

i have already decided that i am going to go with vmr v710's. what i'm having a hard time establishing, is what the best size is for performance. i would like to go with 19's, but i'm not sure if it is going to change the diameter of the tire as it sits on my car- for example, i don't want a larger size tire on my car then i have right now and decrease acceleration performance.
also, is the general rule for tire width "the wider the better"? i know the car would grip better because more tire would be in contact with the pavement, but would it negatively impact performance as it would add more mass for the car to turn? or is it insignificant at this level? i'm looking at 8.5's or 9.5's as far as width goes.
also, i have been doing some reading regarding staggered rims. whats the general consensus for staggered rims as far as performance goes? is it mostly cosmetic? i figure it would be more beneficial to run 1" spacers in the rear so i could rotate the tires.

this tire/wheel combo will be going on my stock sport suspension on my 325ci. i plan on getting my car aligned according to the suggestions in this thread; http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ory+understeer
this is for a daily driven, non-tracked car.

lastly, i haven't found a distributor that carries the nitto NT05. can someone point me in the right direction?

sorry for the long read, and thanks a bunch in advance for the discussion!
__________________

professional grade '02 nissan frontier rock crawler, and a 325 with a few add-ons.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #2
Chris-TK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 16,309
My Ride: Mk VI GTI
V710s are not the way to go if you're looking for better handling/performance. Look for some lightweight 18s and some sticky tires.
__________________
K.
Chris-TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,797
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
what you really want is lighter wheels and tires. you likely don't want anything over 18" and staggered depends on how your car is set up. you'll find manny real track drivers prefer a non staggered set-up. TC Kline being one of them liking a neutral handling E46. go to the WT(Wheel&Tire) section of the forum. you'll find some good advice there
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFOLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA SPORT TUNE - AA PULLEYS - BILSTEIN PSS9s - AS 40% SSK
CF CSL RACE LIP - NAVI - BMW PERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC SS BRKLINES, TRANS MNTS, RTABs - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
V710s are not the way to go if you're looking for better handling/performance. Look for some lightweight 18s and some sticky tires.
exactly what I thought when I read the post.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:09 AM   #5
Chris-TK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 16,309
My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Kosei K1s
__________________
K.
Chris-TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:17 AM   #6
m1356guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,359
My Ride: is worth $5k
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec > Nitto NT05

+ kosei k1s =
__________________
m1356guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
Chris-TK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 16,309
My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1356guy View Post
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec > Nitto NT05

+ kosei k1s =
That's my EXACT setup.

__________________
K.
Chris-TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:39 AM   #8
m1356guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,359
My Ride: is worth $5k
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
That's my EXACT setup.

sh!t i knew u had kosei's just didnt know what tires u ran on the track....how u likey?
__________________
m1356guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:39 AM   #9
Chris-TK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 16,309
My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1356guy View Post
sh!t i knew u had kosei's just didnt know what tires u ran on the track....how u likey?
dem rubberbands iz wicked good
__________________
K.
Chris-TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:41 AM   #10
m1356guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,359
My Ride: is worth $5k
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
dem rubberbands iz wicked good
das what i thought. next summer im gonna get apex arc-8s wrapped in star specs


hopefully
__________________
m1356guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
Chris-alfonso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,126
My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1356guy View Post
dunlop direzza sport z1 star spec > nitto nt05

+ kosei k1s =
+1
Chris-alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:42 AM   #12
roastbeef
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,136
My Ride: 325ci
well, i'm pretty picky as far as styling goes. other then csl's i haven't really come across a rim style that i really liked and desired. i think almost anything other than v710's is out of the question.

what is the benefit of going with 18's over 19's?
__________________

professional grade '02 nissan frontier rock crawler, and a 325 with a few add-ons.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 AM   #13
Chris-TK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 16,309
My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
well, i'm pretty picky as far as styling goes. other then csl's i haven't really come across a rim style that i really liked and desired.

what is the benefit of going with 18's over 19's?
USUALLY 18s are lighter which has less rotational mass and handles better, 19s tend to be heavier which hurts acceleration, braking and handling.
__________________
K.
Chris-TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:49 AM   #14
JETZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada eh!
Posts: 128
My Ride: 04 325ci
1''Spacer????



Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'm looking to get new tires and rims for my 325ci soon. i want my rim/tire size combination to be of best performance as far as rim diameter, offset, and width, as well as tire size.

i have already decided that i am going to go with vmr v710's. what i'm having a hard time establishing, is what the best size is for performance. i would like to go with 19's, but i'm not sure if it is going to change the diameter of the tire as it sits on my car- for example, i don't want a larger size tire on my car then i have right now and decrease acceleration performance.
also, is the general rule for tire width "the wider the better"? i know the car would grip better because more tire would be in contact with the pavement, but would it negatively impact performance as it would add more mass for the car to turn? or is it insignificant at this level? i'm looking at 8.5's or 9.5's as far as width goes.
also, i have been doing some reading regarding staggered rims. whats the general consensus for staggered rims as far as performance goes? is it mostly cosmetic? i figure it would be more beneficial to run 1" spacers in the rear so i could rotate the tires.
this tire/wheel combo will be going on my stock sport suspension on my 325ci. i plan on getting my car aligned according to the suggestions in this thread; http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ory+understeer
this is for a daily driven, non-tracked car.

lastly, i haven't found a distributor that carries the nitto NT05. can someone point me in the right direction?

sorry for the long read, and thanks a bunch in advance for the discussion!
__________________

Last edited by JETZ; 11-04-2009 at 03:51 AM.
JETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:51 AM   #15
roastbeef
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,136
My Ride: 325ci
i see. if i remember correctly, the difference for the 18" to 19" v710's was a half pound, and each rim weighed ~25lbs. i'll have to try to find it again.

what do my factory 17's weigh? if i can match the factory performance with 19" v710's, i would be happy, but if i could increase performance, it would be even better.
__________________

professional grade '02 nissan frontier rock crawler, and a 325 with a few add-ons.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:54 AM   #16
Chris-TK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 16,309
My Ride: Mk VI GTI
FYI 25 lbs is NOT a light wheel. Under 20 lbs. should be your goal.
__________________
K.
Chris-TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 AM   #17
m1356guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,359
My Ride: is worth $5k
ya dude kosei k1s are 16.8 lbs...THAT is light, your factory wheels are probably somewhere are 23 lbs

look at enkei rpf1s too, u might like that style
__________________
m1356guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:07 AM   #18
Chris-TK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 16,309
My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1356guy View Post
ya dude kosei k1s are 16.8 lbs...THAT is light, your factory wheels are probably somewhere are 23 lbs

look at enkei rpf1s too, u might like that style
or the Enkei NT-03M (one of my favorite wheels of all time).
__________________
K.
Chris-TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:10 AM   #19
roastbeef
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,136
My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
FYI 25 lbs is NOT a light wheel. Under 20 lbs. should be your goal.
i can't justify spending lots of money on lightweight wheels. i hate to say it, but weight is going to be secondary to styling and appearance for this one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by m1356guy View Post
ya dude kosei k1s are 16.8 lbs...THAT is light, your factory wheels are probably somewhere are 23 lbs

look at enkei rpf1s too, u might like that style
not a huge fan of the styling of either of those unfortunately.
__________________

professional grade '02 nissan frontier rock crawler, and a 325 with a few add-ons.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:16 AM   #20
m1356guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,359
My Ride: is worth $5k
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
or the Enkei NT-03M (one of my favorite wheels of all time).
oh hell ya those are sexxx...do they fit on our cars because i remember seeing a pic of a similar wheel on an m3 with nt05s, and the "nitto" on the tire was painted white. sooo sick
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i can't justify spending lots of money on lightweight wheels. i hate to say it, but weight is going to be secondary to styling and appearance for this one.




not a huge fan of the styling of either of those unfortunately.
so then you're not really looking for a wheel with the best performance?
__________________
m1356guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use