E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Imola.ZHP

My Ride: Imola ZHP
Dumb question...

Sick, can't think well enough on how to go about searching, and I cant rationally figure this out, brain is mush after working 13 hours sick. So please forgive me if this is asked often and/or if its dumb...

Drivers rear tire on my 330i ZHP is bad, (gash in side-wall, plugged twice, has lasted 5-6 thousand miles, spring-fall, don't drive it much anymore, but leaking now that the temperature has gone cold) new one showed up today =)

With my car NOT having LSD, is one tire more apt to spin over the other? Or does it just depend on the corner I'm going around?

I ask because the other tire has 5-6 thousand miles on it. It wouldn't cost very much more to have it swapped over to the drivers-side if the passenger-side is more apt to spin. Or if by "rotating" that other tire I'm able to get a few extra miles out of it. I know my car has negative camber from the factory, but its minimal, I've replaced the rear tires before.

Hope that makes sense, ugh, be sure to lysol this post after reading it...

lol

Thanks in advance! Planning to have it put on tomorrow.

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus

Last edited by Imola.ZHP; 12-04-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Imola.ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I've read that your right rear tire will wear slightly faster than the left if you have an open diff. So I guess the right side would be the better place to put the new tire. I have not noticed significantly more tire wear on the right side on the 5 sets of tires that I've gone through.

If you want to get more life, flip the tires (remove from rim and flip over so the inside is now on the outside). My rears always wear on the inside much faster. That will give you about an extra 25% from my limited experience.
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:45 AM   #3
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I've read that your right rear tire will wear slightly faster than the left if you have an open diff. So I guess the right side would be the better place to put the new tire. I have not noticed significantly more tire wear on the right side on the 5 sets of tires that I've gone through.

If you want to get more life, flip the tires (remove from rim and flip over so the inside is now on the outside). My rears always wear on the inside much faster. That will give you about an extra 25% from my limited experience.
That is probably cause you have -1 deg camber in the rear or something.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
That is probably cause you have -1 deg camber in the rear or something.
-1 is for pussies...real men like me have -3.1.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
Imola.ZHP

Quote:

Thanks!

I was under the same impression, but couldn't remember if I had read it somewhere, or deduced it on my own or what...

I was so out of it, I forgot I even made this thread, haha, got up this morning, still not feeling well, and just took it up there and had it put on. 25 degrees here this morning and my garage isn't that big, would have had to move 3 cars to move the ZHP over enough to take off both rear wheels.

Quote:
-1 is for pussies...real men like me have -3.1.
Poor college students only have -1 too. Planning a mild, H&R cup kit, drop when she's paid off. Hopefully spring/summer...

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Old 12-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Poor college students only have -1 too. Planning a mild, H&R cup kit, drop when she's paid off. Hopefully spring/summer...
-1 is for pussies and poor college students (who are not pussies)...real men like me have -3.1.

fixed
Old 12-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
Imola.ZHP

^ lol, nice...

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus