E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
BigMikeE46

My Ride: 02 325i, 03 SC COBRA
Send a message via AIM to BigMikeE46
DIY: For HID FOGLIGHTS 02 front bumper/round bumper

I wasn't intending to make a DIY but I was looking at pics I took and I thought to myself that I think I have enough pics to help alot of guys out.

First of all, I got my fogs hids from ddm. Make sure you get H11 ballasts because they sent me I believe the h7 ballast but I still made it work. I've never done a diy so if I leave anything out please help out guys. Here we go.

What I mean by round bumper is the bumper in the pic below.

1. The first thing I did because I tried every other method with fail, is jacking the car up and removing the front tires (one at a time that is).
Photobucket
Photobucket
You are going to want to get under the car and release some of the screws and clip ons to get the inside fender? to move so you can get working.

The pic below is the foglight housing witht the bulb removed...You twist the bulb and remove it. DON'T throw the bulb away. You won't be using it now but you might have issues with you HID fogs and you might decide to go back to halogens.
Photobucket

Here was my issue. The ballast connector wouldn't fit the oem connector, so I used some other connectors that came with another set of HIDS from before to make it work. I don't got pics of that but heres the H7 Ballast connector vs H11 connector. H11 is smaller
Photobucket
vs
Photobucket

Fog ligh hids have been known to cause electrical surges which basically reset the cluster when you hit the fog light button. I've spoke to some peopel that all they get is the dash light flashing once real quick. I Installed all this yesterday and knew nothing about this problem untill it happen. I flashed someone with the highbeams while i was on the highway, speedo and everything else jumped to max and went back down. I tried to get it to do it again so i can see whats causing it but I guess its just a 50/50 thing.

Anyways, I didn't use a harness, even though i have one, I didnt use it because bmw really does let you have space to work with accessories, or at least i think so. So basically i plugged and played the HID fogs and used 3-4 straps to get the ballast and the wirring to hang securly inside the bumper. If you leave the ballast just there on the floor of the bumber/inside fender the chances are that water will get inside when you hit a puddle of water or something. I tapped all the electricals just in case something of that was to happen.
Photobucket
Photobucket
One side down another to go.Put everything back in the order you take it off.
READ THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you do the driver side, your going to end up unplugging something and say oo heck with it and your going to be excited to get the hids working and your going to forget to connect that wire...make sure you connect it. I forgot to connect it (its the temp sensor) and now the temp says its -40 F. I'll have to wait to get that done because its raining outside.

MORE PICS:
Photobucket

Photobucket

LEt me know if you have any questions. Thanks for reading this DIY, hope I helped.

Below is a pic taken on 1/16/10
Photobucket
BigMikeE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
great DIY. thanks

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
BigMikeE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
great DIY. thanks
Thanks dude...Its my first, I never thought I can contribute to such a great site but I did. Who would of knew .

Photobucket
Old 01-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
HID fogs FTW

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
ramtin325i

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
HID fogs FTW
Cluster problems, FML
ramtin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
BigMikeE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtin325i View Post
Cluster problems, FML

did it happen to you yet?

Photobucket
Old 01-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
ramtin325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeE46 View Post
did it happen to you yet?

nope and im not hoping it will. did you hook up any other lights on ur car that might of needed resistors? that may the problem. the only reason im getting HID is because I have white halogens on my car but one of them arent working. I HOPE its not the wiring.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
ramtin325i

Thanks mike! I have a Q, instead of putting it up the jack can i turn the wheel to the other side and just take out the inner fenders and work from there?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
BigMikeE46

Quote:
Thanks mike! I have a Q, instead of putting it up the jack can i turn the wheel to the other side and just take out the inner fenders and work from there?
you would think its that easy but beleive me its a real tight squeeze and id recommend you see what your doing for at least one side...Just to let you know, you turn the inner fender outwards. I couldnt get the clip for the world. Let me know if you need anything else. If you do jack the car up, put a brick infront of the front tire and back tires and kick them in, or you can get the plastic thing thats made for that. yea just let me know

Photobucket
Old 01-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
tiloulou330i

My Ride: 02 330i zsp
Send a message via AIM to tiloulou330i Send a message via MSN to tiloulou330i Send a message via Yahoo to tiloulou330i
I need to do this mod.

Originally Posted by nawmean?
I know I sound naive, but some of the advice I've taken from this board has helped my life quite a bit
tiloulou330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #11
jreid

My Ride: a car
sweet diy
jreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #12
BigMikeE46

UPDATE!!!! ATTENTION!!!!

Guys!, if your doing this pay attention and make sure!!!! that you tighten inner plastic fender!! Make sure the screws aren't broken or anything, use zip ties if you need too. I was on the highway going 120 when the inner fender flew off the car...yes flew off the car! and got crushed by another car. Im getting one from the stealership tom, you need this because the fender protects the HIDs...Gluck

Photobucket
Old 01-23-2010, 01:35 AM   #13
ramtin325i

Quote:
UPDATE!!!! ATTENTION!!!!

Guys!, if your doing this pay attention and make sure!!!! that you tighten inner plastic fender!! Make sure the screws aren't broken or anything, use zip ties if you need too. I was on the highway going 120 when the inner fender flew off the car...yes flew off the car! and got crushed by another car. Im getting one from the stealership tom, you need this because the fender protects the HIDs...Gluck
Thanks Mike. Im setting it up tomorrow moring (12 more hours) I cant wait!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Nice DIY! Definitely will come in handy...

BTW, where did you get your angel eyes from? And do you have a link to the H11 bulbs? I tried searching on their site but couldn't find it

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #15
BigMikeE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Nice DIY! Definitely will come in handy...

BTW, where did you get your angel eyes from? And do you have a link to the H11 bulbs? I tried searching on their site but couldn't find it
Its on their site...But I'd wait tell I get back to you, one of the fogs sort of went out after maybe a week, I think its just a connection thing, I haven't been able to get under there again, its been toooo cold and tooo wet/snow outside. I hope its just a connection. I can tell you one thing tho, the ballast stuff is pretty water proof. I got the angel eyes off ebay. Both the hids and rings are 7000k. The ebay seller says 7000k and you get 7000k , ddm says 8000k but you really get 7000k which in my opinion is 10 times better than the 8000k, i got 8k on my mustang , 7k looks good . Let me know if you need anything else. Heres the link

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=102&parent=85

Photobucket
Old 02-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #16
ramtin325i

Mike I got them!!!! It drops my jaw every night. And thank god no cluster problems (knock on wood)
Old 02-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #17
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Nice DIY, I've been thinking about doing this. Still not sure, but I would definetly use a relay harness. BTW, If you remove the headlights you can access the fogs.
Edit: You should also look into using watertight connectors.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=h11+connector&_sacat=See-All-Categories

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff

Last edited by Rickna; 02-14-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #18
BigMikeE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
Nice DIY, I've been thinking about doing this. Still not sure, but I would definetly use a relay harness. BTW, If you remove the headlights you can access the fogs.
Edit: You should also look into using watertight connectors.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=h11+connector&_sacat=See-All-Categories
So far no problems without the harness, umm about removing the headlight...I couldn't get the sucker off..Does anyone know how to take it off, i looked for all the bolts and scews, i can't seem to take it out. You prob need to do it this way, by removing the tires to actually be able to see and strap everything correctly. As far as water tight, its pretty water tight. It comes the right wires. I duct taped everything just incase. Thanks for the feedback

Photobucket
Old 02-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #19
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
So far no problems without the harness, umm about removing the headlight...I couldn't get the sucker off..Does anyone know how to take it off, i looked for all the bolts and scews, i can't seem to take it out. You prob need to do it this way, by removing the tires to actually be able to see and strap everything correctly. As far as water tight, its pretty water tight. It comes the right wires. I duct taped everything just incase. Thanks for the feedback
Just be careful with duct tape. It is metallic and therefore electrically conductive.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #20
BigMikeE46

Quote:
Mike I got them!!!! It drops my jaw every night. And thank god no cluster problems (knock on wood)
congrats man..I'm glad you like them, they are def. a win My cluster thing went away

Photobucket