E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
jayk69

My Ride: Bmw 318 ci
Replacing a door lock cylinder

Hi all,

I've scrolled and scrolled through everything I possibly could but cannot find a good diy for replacing the door lock cylinder for my 318 ci, its 2001. The key is turning both sides with no friction and no door lock working. Make things worse is that my key fob has just died on me too so my car is sitting idol with all doors open!!! Please help, need it asap!!!
jayk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
328CIFANATIC

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328CI
I will be replacing mine tonight if you haven't gotten this issue figured out yet...look for a diy on removing the door card first and I will try to post some pics on everything after that as I have already removed my door card.
328CIFANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
328CIFANATIC

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328CI
Small DIY for the lock cylinder

OK, well, once you remove the door card, you will see a rubber type cover which is held in by a plastic clip. You will see it on the bottom right corner of the plastic cover shown in the image below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03210.JPG
Views:	3522
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	347291

Make sure you pry it out gently without breaking the clip, but, with enough force to pop it out.

You will then need an allen key, not sure what size, i can't remember off the top of my head to loosen the allen key screw and remove...it's a two stage screw where you can loosen it, pull it out a little, and then you can unscrew it the rest of the way and take it out. Be careful not to drop it in the door otherwise you will be fishing with your fingers trying to get it out.

A picture of the allen key screw and it's location is below...

Name:	DSC03208.JPG
Views:	3201
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	347290

Next, hold the door open, pull on the door handle, and wiggle out your lock and lock cylinder...your lock cylinder itself is probably fine, but, all the guts holding it together from behind has broken apart.

Name:	DSC03204.JPG
Views:	2156
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	347289

Name:	DSC03201.jpg
Views:	1994
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	347286

Name:	DSC03202.JPG
Views:	2423
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	347287

Once it's out you can take off the plastic cover that is on the lock cylinder...

Name:	DSC03203.JPG
Views:	1782
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	347288

Now you can put the black cover on your new lock cylinder, and put it all back together.

Any questions, let me know...Cheers and Good Luck
328CIFANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Your DIY was confusing, lacking a clear description

of where you were and what parts you were working with.
But my biggest gripe is that you caused me to go blind with those blurry pics. So now I'm not worrying any longer as I cannot drive if I cannot see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328CIFANATIC View Post
OK, well, once you remove the door card, you will see a rubber type cover which is held in by a plastic clip. You will see it on the bottom right corner of the plastic cover shown in the image below.

Attachment 347291

Make sure you pry it out gently without breaking the clip, but, with enough force to pop it out.

You will then need an allen key, not sure what size, i can't remember off the top of my head to loosen the allen key screw and remove...it's a two stage screw where you can loosen it, pull it out a little, and then you can unscrew it the rest of the way and take it out. Be careful not to drop it in the door otherwise you will be fishing with your fingers trying to get it out.

A picture of the allen key screw and it's location is below...

Attachment 347290

Next, hold the door open, pull on the door handle, and wiggle out your lock and lock cylinder...your lock cylinder itself is probably fine, but, all the guts holding it together from behind has broken apart.

Attachment 347289

Attachment 347286

Attachment 347287

Once it's out you can take off the plastic cover that is on the lock cylinder...

Attachment 347288

Now you can put the black cover on your new lock cylinder, and put it all back together.

Any questions, let me know...Cheers and Good Luck

Last edited by Stinger9; 12-21-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
jadz

My Ride: bmw 325xi
Thanks and Oiling the lock shaft worked well for me

I just wanted to register and say thanks for all the info on this page. I just replaced the door key cylinder on my 2003 325xi. Took a lot less time because of this page. Something that also worked for me though was oiling the lock shaft that goes down the door card (aka door panel) That is, when I replaced the whole cylinder from the hex screw on the side of the door, the inside was so rusted that it only turned part of the way, (my car might have some water-seal problems) and would not unlock. So if you are 100% sure you have installed it properly and the key still won't turn it all the way, try some old motor oil down the lock shaft (the little black button that moves up and down when you unlock the door) and give it a good 15-20 minutes to let the oil work in. I was ready to give up after I oiled it, but then I came back and it worked like a champ. Message me if this isn't clear. Good luck!
jadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
El Roberto

My Ride: 325ci
I am going to have to replace my lock too, one question is can you use the original key. I too have broke the key fob and use the good old fashioned key in the door trick to get in. Trouble is I am at my holiday home in Spain and BMW here charge a fortune, was thinking about tackerling the job myself but can not get an answer about the key. So now my car is unlocked all the time.
El Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
York

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Door lock cylinder was easy to remove - just lift up the rubber flap piece on the end of the door and use an allen wrench to remove the screw. (I didn't remove the little plastic clip holding the flap, I just gently pulled the corner over the clip and then stretch it back over when I was done.) Then, just wiggle the key lock straight out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Step 12.JPG
Views:	3117
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	347299  

Last edited by York; 02-03-2010 at 10:51 PM.
York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
shake256

My Ride: BMW 323 CI Cabrio
Wanted to post a thank you for the info in this thread. Had a couple of dirtbags try to steal my wifes 323 ci convertible last week by pulling the drivers cylinder with a slide hammer and looking for the valet key. My buddy interupted the guy and he jumped into a stolen nissan maxima. Clean job on the cylinder with no damage to any other part of the car. Dealer wanted close to $500.00. Purchased the coded cylinder online for $70.00 and fixed the door in less then five minutes. Great info. Many thanks!
shake256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
gna23

My Ride: 2001 325i
Where did you buy your cylinder?
gna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
ha9981

My Ride: 320i 2002 e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by shake256 View Post
Wanted to post a thank you for the info in this thread. Had a couple of dirtbags try to steal my wifes 323 ci convertible last week by pulling the drivers cylinder with a slide hammer and looking for the valet key. My buddy interupted the guy and he jumped into a stolen nissan maxima. Clean job on the cylinder with no damage to any other part of the car. Dealer wanted close to $500.00. Purchased the coded cylinder online for $70.00 and fixed the door in less then five minutes. Great info. Many thanks!
Coded cylinder matching old key? From where?
ha9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:35 AM   #11
Beans562

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via AIM to Beans562
i would like to know also!
Beans562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Why is everyone talking about taking the door card off? I did mine in probably less than two minutes just from removing the torx screw.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
dilios

My Ride: 04 BMW 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
Why is everyone talking about taking the door card off? I did mine in probably less than two minutes just from removing the torx screw.
I did mine and did not have to take door card off... Curious to know where a new cylinder was purchased...
dilios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:36 AM   #14
Beans562

exactly how many screws is holding the lock cylinder? i removed one at the end of the door and it wouldnt wiggle out..am i supose to take the door panel off also?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #15
Beans562

anybody know???
Old 11-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #16
AdeO

My Ride: 2003 E46 318iSE N42
Had a slightly different experience here, the actual whole barrel came out with the key one day. was using the key as both remotes weren't working. Fortunately managed to slice the key in half and get one of the remotes working, which meant I didn't have to break into the car. I took the grommet out, and could see the coded lock was broken, even the spring was out of alignment. decided to leave it "as is" and meant the barrel could be placed back in the car, rather than leave a hole exposed to the elements.
just waiting for my coded lock to arrive from Germany (10 day lead time), cost was 37.37 (31.80 +VAT). think when replacing it, I'll use some thread to tie the allen key bolt, to stop it from falling into the door when I remove it. will let everyone know how I get on, wish me luck.
AdeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #17
Beans562

i just ordered a keylock cylinder repair kit off ebay from turkey, it took about 3 weeks to arrive. removing the keylock cylinder from my door wasnt easy.. took me about an hour to finnally take it off it was just stuck in there. i thought there was another screw somewhere in there so i decided to take the door panels off... big waste of time, there was no other screws holding it in place. i put the door panel back together and kept pulling and prying with my screw driver and it eventually came off. it took about 5 mins to put in the new replacement parts from the repair kit. i poped it in the door to test it out and it works great! but while screwing the allen in, it slipped off from the screw driver and fell through the hole. had to take off the door panel and find the screw and put it back together. in the end, i was happy. the dealer wanted to charge me $130 for a new keylock cylinder. i bought a repair kit off ebay for 15 bucks and saved $115!

Last edited by Beans562; 11-16-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #18
AdeO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans562 View Post
i just ordered a keylock cylinder repair kit off ebay from turkey, it took about 3 weeks to arrive. removing the keylock cylinder from my door wasnt easy.. took me about an hour to finnally take it off it was just stuck in there. i thought there was another screw somewhere in there so i decided to take the door panels off... big waste of time, there was no other screws holding it in place. i put the door panel back together and kept pulling and prying with my screw driver and it eventually came off. it took about 5 mins to put in the new replacement parts from the repair kit. i poped it in the door to test it out and it works great! but while screwing the allen in, it slipped off from the screw driver and fell through the hole. had to take off the door panel and find the screw and put it back together. in the end, i was happy. the dealer wanted to charge me $130 for a new keylock cylinder. i bought a repair kit off ebay for 15 bucks and saved $115!
I did look at the ebay lock repair kit and was 20, thought the genuine article for 37.37 was a less risky option, glad to hear the lock repair went well. It also worried me that if bits of the lock drop down into the door it would be a take-apart of the door, and seems from other posts its not recommended to disconnect the airbag when you're working on the door unless you want the airbag light lit.
Apologies for not mentioning this earlier, but think all the people who have contributed to this post are great, as would have been sending the car into a dealer without this info.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #19
AdeO

Firstly just to say thank you to all who have contributed to this thread, the information was invaluable and allowed me to replace my coded lock without any major problems (took about 25 minutes).
Couple of notes whoever attempts this in the future;
Make sure you have your windows wound down and at least one door open before attempting this procedure if you dont have a working remote. The reason being, as I found out, was that once the coded lock (aka lock barrel) is removed from the car, the plastic shaped x which it engages with was out of alignment, and took me a few minutes to work out what position it needed to be in (i.e. which way the + should be so it locked and unlocked correctly). Fortunately, with the windows down, I knew when the lock position was engaged as could see the windows rising.
Secondly, Im not sure if its on the newer cars, but the allen key bolt that secures the coded lock is held captive by a plastic mount (fortunately for me as was worried this allen key bolt was going to drop into the door, and require me to strip it down). I also used the allen key bolt to gently help push the lock barrel away from the door, rather than lever it out from the outside of the door.
Good luck to all who attempt this procedure, the instructions on this forum saved me a lot of time and money.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #20
cane4705

My Ride: 1999 323i
My lock cylinder was broken. I was removing the allen screw and of course dropped it in the door. I have now repaired the lock cylinder and am ready to reinstall it, but have no allen screw. Does anyone know where I can get another allen screw? If its easy to get another allen screw that will work I would rather do that than have to take the door panel off.
cane4705 is offline   Reply With Quote