E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Clutch upgrades for 5sp (E36 knowledge needed too)

Ok, so i has a 328i 5sp, and i basically got a free M5 clutch kit, i think e34. id have to double check.
and i know the E36 guys used to match the m5 clutch with a certain pressure plate and flywheel with good results.
I also understand that my gearbox is basically a carryover unit form the E36 and thus im thinking it most likely uses the same damn clutch.

Now remember, its a free clutch kit, so dont give me the buy the right clutch crap. Ive been told the clutch disc for sure will fit and work, but is it possible to use the flywheel and pressure plate, or maybe just the pressure plate, and then just get a OEM flywheel?

Has anyone done this, to an E46 or even an E36, can you guys tell me what worked on the E36 and what id need, and maybe i can try with my E46 5sp.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Snik
OEM ///Member

ok, i am seeing where i guess in order to use this E35 M5 clutch kit i MUST have a UUC stage 2 flywheel, is that the deal, is that my ONLY choice?
Are there any OEM flywheels that could be used in conjunction with said clutch kit?
Old 03-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
///Orient3

My Ride: can't be defined
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Ok, so i has a 328i 5sp, and i basically got a free M5 clutch kit, i think e34. id have to double check.
and i know the E36 guys used to match the m5 clutch with a certain pressure plate and flywheel with good results.
I also understand that my gearbox is basically a carryover unit form the E36 and thus im thinking it most likely uses the same damn clutch.

Now remember, its a free clutch kit, so dont give me the buy the right clutch crap. Ive been told the clutch disc for sure will fit and work, but is it possible to use the flywheel and pressure plate, or maybe just the pressure plate, and then just get a OEM flywheel?

Has anyone done this, to an E46 or even an E36, can you guys tell me what worked on the E36 and what id need, and maybe i can try with my E46 5sp.
I have some experience with this recently, but Im not sure I completely understand what you are asking.

As far as I understand, you have an M5 clutch disc and pressure plate, and want to know which flywheel you can use?
Old 03-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
Snik
OEM ///Member

yes.

i see the M5 clutch is MUCH heavier so a light weight flywheel is needed to offset this weight, but i cant seem to find a price for JUST THE FLYWHEEL on UUCs website, and the JB units are too expensive.
What i might do is sell it and just buy a basic sachs clutch kit
Old 03-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
///Orient3

Quote:
yes.

i see the M5 clutch is MUCH heavier so a light weight flywheel is needed to offset this weight, but i cant seem to find a price for JUST THE FLYWHEEL on UUCs website, and the JB units are too expensive.
What i might do is sell it and just buy a basic sachs clutch kit
I can't necessarily comment, because I went with a JB flywheel. I also switched to an e36 M3 pressure plate, because the M5 plate weighs closer to 3 pounds more than the M3 plate. I haven't tested it, but I believe the M5 plate will mate to an e36 M3 flywheel. My flywheel is at the machine shop, but I may be able to check it for you this week.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Snik
OEM ///Member

i dont have an E36, but i have a E46 328i, i ask about E36s because its a popular mod with them and i know we share the same gearbox and motor. M52TU
Old 03-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
///Orient3

Quote:
i dont have an E36, but i have a E46 328i, i ask about E36s because its a popular mod with them and i know we share the same gearbox and motor. M52TU
I don't have an E36 either, but the flywheel and pressure plate I am using on my E46 5 speed are specifically for an E36. That being said, the gearbox was interchangeable. The set pins on the E46 5 speed flywheel and the E36 5 speed flywheel are a different pattern, though.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Snik
OEM ///Member

so confusing. im gonna call UUC tomorrow. if the flywheel is affordable i'll keep it, otherwise im selling it, and buying a basic sachs kit, im not running serious power mods anyway.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
///Orient3

Quote:
so confusing. im gonna call UUC tomorrow. if the flywheel is affordable i'll keep it, otherwise im selling it, and buying a basic sachs kit, im not running serious power mods anyway.
Maybe I can clarify for you?

The diameter of all the flywheels are the same, because of this, all you have to worry about is if the pressure plate will actually bolt to the flywheel because of the pins (the "bolt hole patterns" are different on all these flywheels).

The M5 pressure plate will not bolt up to an E46 5 speed flywheel.

I believe the M5 pressure plate will bolt up to an E36 5 speed flywheel.

To summarize: the flywheels are interchangeable, but the bolt patterns are different, so you need to use a matching flywheel and pressure plate combination so they will bolt together.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
Snik
OEM ///Member

so if i dont go with the uuc fly, i have to go with a e36 fly, and this will also require a e36 pressure plate. correct?
Old 03-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
///Orient3

Quote:
so if i dont go with the uuc fly, i have to go with a e36 fly, and this will also require a e36 pressure plate. correct?
I believe you can bolt the M5 pressure plate you have to an E36 M3 flywheel. So, you might not even need to switch from the pressure plate you already have. I have a M5 pressure plate sitting around, and I can bring it to the machine shop tomorrow and test fit it to the E36 M3 flywheel I have to verify for you.

Recap: I believe all you need is an E36 M3 flywheel. I can't verify this until tomorrow, though.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
Snik
OEM ///Member

is the E36 M3 flywheel lighter than ours, will it offset the weight of the M5 clutch
Old 03-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #13
///Orient3

Quote:
is the E36 M3 flywheel lighter than ours, will it offset the weight of the M5 clutch
I can't give you a weight figure on the E36 M3 flywheel. I don't have a stock one. I have a JB Racing lightweight flywheel in E36 M3 fitment. The M5 pressure plate was 2.5+ pounds heavier than the E36 M3 Sachs pressure plate, which is why I switched. I would go with a lightweight flywheel to offset the weight gain from the M5 pressure plate. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you would do it (unless you need a new clutch anyways).
Old 03-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #14
Snik
OEM ///Member

clutch isnt slipping but almost 200k on it.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
///Orient3

Quote:
clutch isnt slipping but almost 200k on it.
That is probably reason enough to switch it out... If you go with a lightweight flywheel and the M5 plate and disc, you will still come out lighter than stock. If you went with any stock weight flywheel, you would likely be adding weight over stock, which wouldn't really be worth it.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #16
Snik
OEM ///Member

yeah, cost is my driving favtor right now, if it lasts till later this summe,r maybe i'll go lightweight if it starts slipping, ill sell it for a sachs and go oe