E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
SpeedDemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,939
My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Question Oil Weight for M54 doing lots of HPDEs

I want to try out some Redline Engine Oil this summer since my car is going to be seeing a lot of track time (20+ hours of HPDE track time), but I'm trying to decide between their 5w-30 or 5w-40...

Any recommendations/thoughts?

Thank you.

Last edited by SpeedDemon; 03-15-2010 at 04:26 PM.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
McSpeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,073
My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Dunno. I saw this before though (Post #9):
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
7) Your choice of oil may have an impact as well. FWIW, I have learned that Mobil 1 0w40 is NOT up to track duty. The recommended oil is BMW 5w30 Synthetic, or if thicker oil is desired, Castrol TWS 10w60 (M oil). My source shared with me that he has repaired five E36 M3 engines with oil related problems... they were running Redline oil religiously. He has had no known failures from engines using BMW oil.
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho....php?p=8095458
__________________


SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 03-15-2010 at 04:44 PM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
SpeedDemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,939
My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Here's the thing I don't get though (in response to jvr's post)... My local motorsport shop that I go to uses Redline Engine Oil, Bimmerworld uses Redline Engine Oil on the cars they service, and Turner Motorsport uses Redline on the cars they service as well. I would think that all of these shops are using Redline due to good experiences with it.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
McSpeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,073
My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Here's the thing I don't get though (in response to jvr's post)... My local motorsport shop that I go to uses Redline Engine Oil, Bimmerworld uses Redline Engine Oil on the cars they service, and Turner Motorsport uses Redline on the cars they service as well. I would think that all of these shops are using Redline due to good experiences with it.
True, and jvr's source only talked about E36's - but I think Redline's whole schtick is less resistance = more speed, no? Does that mean it's lower viscocity? And, if so, is that good long term?
__________________


SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
jmay87
Registered User
 
jmay87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 497
My Ride: e36,e46,e90
bimmerworld says 5w40 for hot climates and HPDE use for the m54
__________________
--1995 E36 M3--2001 E46 325i--2008 E90 335i--


jmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
SpeedDemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,939
My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmay87 View Post
bimmerworld says 5w40 for hot climates and HPDE use for the m54
It actually only lists the M54TU... what is an M54TU?

Also, it does say for hot climates AND HPDE... the operative word their being AND and not OR. Does that mean that only hot climates where you do HPDEs should get 5w40 and that milder climates where you do HPDEs get 5w30, or does it mean that HPDE regulars should always use 5w40?
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
jmay87
Registered User
 
jmay87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 497
My Ride: e36,e46,e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
It actually only lists the M54TU... what is an M54TU?

Also, it does say for hot climates AND HPDE... the operative word their being AND and not OR. Does that mean that only hot climates where you do HPDEs should get 5w40 and that milder climates where you do HPDEs get 5w30, or does it mean that HPDE regulars should always use 5w40?
TU is for technical update, I dont think an M54TU actually exists, just the M52TU that was in 99-00 e46's before the M54 came out. I think it is just a typo.I'm sure if you call and ask bimmerworld they can tell you but the way I interpret it is that 5w40 is the way to go for track use, even in milder climates.
__________________
--1995 E36 M3--2001 E46 325i--2008 E90 335i--


jmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
hamadyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 85
My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmay87 View Post
TU is for technical update, I dont think an M54TU actually exists, just the M52TU that was in 99-00 e46's before the M54 came out.
TU stands for Technical Update. Engines were installed in vehicles headed for the Northeast. Change is in emissions package revised to reduce emissions and qualify as ULEV.
hamadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
SpeedDemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,939
My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@EuroDyne View Post
Why not run the BMW recommended oil and just change your oil more frequently? That's what I do with my E36 M3 Track car.

-Geoff@Eurodyne
Because I'm not doing an extended drain interval anyways. The oil will get changed every 2000-3000 miles because much of it will be on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamadyr View Post
TU stands for Technical Update. Engines were installed in vehicles headed for the Northeast. Change is in emissions package revised to reduce emissions and qualify as ULEV.
Wasn't that the M56?

I'm even more confused because even Bimmerworld doesn't have a normal M54B30 listed... they only show the M54TUB30

Last edited by SpeedDemon; 03-22-2010 at 03:08 AM.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
SpeedDemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,939
My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
My thoughts as well, but I'd still like to confirm since my local shop says that they normally just use 5w30 (but think 5w40 could be a good choice) and the guy at Redline (who didn't seem to know what he was talking about) told me not to use 5w40.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
JamesClay
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: BimmerWorld
Posts: 185
My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
http://store.bimmerworld.com/red-lin...-oil-p298.aspx

SpeedDemon asked me to chime in. First, Red Line being focused on being thin and producing power is a little off. Viscosity is measured and what you are buying is exactly on the label. We (BimmerWorld) often choose to go with a lower viscosity on our racecars with Red Line and we can get away with it because it does have better lubricating properties than many of the other oils in the market. Additionally, the ZDDP package prevents wear, and it has excellent anti-foam and compressibility characteristics that work well with the dual vanos engines.

For most cars, we recommend a slightly higher weight for track use. In that environment, the temps are higher and especially on a hydraulic lifter engine, you usually need the extra viscosity to keep the lifters pumped up. For the M54 on our chart, it is a 5W40. In our racecars, we have been using mostly a straight 40WT in both the M54 and N52 which is similar but requires that we warm the engine up.
__________________
James Clay
Race Proven Performance
www.bimmerworld.com
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
JerryK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 45
My Ride: E46 M3, 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
http://store.bimmerworld.com/red-lin...-oil-p298.aspx

SpeedDemon asked me to chime in. First, Red Line being focused on being thin and producing power is a little off. Viscosity is measured and what you are buying is exactly on the label. We (BimmerWorld) often choose to go with a lower viscosity on our racecars with Red Line and we can get away with it because it does have better lubricating properties than many of the other oils in the market. Additionally, the ZDDP package prevents wear, and it has excellent anti-foam and compressibility characteristics that work well with the dual vanos engines.

For most cars, we recommend a slightly higher weight for track use. In that environment, the temps are higher and especially on a hydraulic lifter engine, you usually need the extra viscosity to keep the lifters pumped up. For the M54 on our chart, it is a 5W40. In our racecars, we have been using mostly a straight 40WT in both the M54 and N52 which is similar but requires that we warm the engine up.
I just bought 40wt from you guys for an upcoming track day next Saturday, should be around 98... straight 40wt only makes sense. Warming it up shouldn't be an issue!
JerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
schulmann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 186
My Ride: BMW 330ci
I discovered this oiling sensitivity in the M54 during our last lapping day in September 2009.
I pushed my 330ci very hard and ended up having valve thicking.
I was running 5W30 oil. I did a couple of search and now I have a much better idea what I have to do to extend the life of my engine. I will run a 5W40 oil + 0.5l over regular line.

Just another interesting information regarding oil viscosity. On Dodge Viper's V10 engine the red line is around 5500rpm. If we use a too thick oil we end up with valve floating and burned valves ...

The problem is to find 5W40 in the local store ... Basically they only have 5w30 and 5w50 on the shelf.

Any opinion about Amsoil's 5W40 oil ?
__________________

Last edited by schulmann; 03-16-2010 at 12:55 PM.
schulmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
vaio76109
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 8,828
My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulmann View Post
Any opinion about Amsoil's 5W40 oil ?
It's what I use, my only data point is my motor hasn't gone kablewy yet.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
BMWespresso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,561
My Ride: 2005 325CI
5w40
__________________
BMWespresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
McSpeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,073
My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
this is a good thread to have around

P.S. - any recs for Lubro Moly? Total?
__________________


SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 03-16-2010 at 08:56 PM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #17
Feffman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Gateway To The West
Posts: 263
My Ride: Four-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post

P.S. - any recs for ...... Total?
Total Quartz Energy 9000 (5W-40) meets BMW specs and is a fully synthetic oil. You can pick it up at Performance oil Store.

http://www.performanceoilstore.com/p...sp?cat=19&pg=3

Feff
__________________
Feffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #18
Tech@EuroDyne
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 36
My Ride: BMWs
Why not run the BMW recommended oil and just change your oil more frequently? That's what I do with my E36 M3 Track car.

-Geoff@Eurodyne
Tech@EuroDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #19
ChasCan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,066
My Ride: 2001 330xi
Anybody have an opinion on using Lucas oil additive for track days with Mobil 1 0w40? Chas.
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #20
jmay87
Registered User
 
jmay87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 497
My Ride: e36,e46,e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasCan View Post
Anybody have an opinion on using Lucas oil additive for track days with Mobil 1 0w40? Chas.
general consensus is that pretty much all the oil additives are garbage and provide no benefit but may actually cause damage
__________________
--1995 E36 M3--2001 E46 325i--2008 E90 335i--


jmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use