E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
miiikey31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: socal
Posts: 163
My Ride: 00 BMW 323CI Coupe
DIY: Z8 Engine Start Button Install for the BMW E46 3 Series

I wondering if it was possible to install a start engine button for the e46 and stumbled upon this DIY on google.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.walkd...tartButton.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW-3-series-E46-Engine-Start-Button.pdf (296.6 KB, 1581 views)
miiikey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
neil1138
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,240
What is the point of putting in the key, turning it to position two, then pushing a button to start it? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Scott87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 590
My Ride: 325ci 2001
I think it would be quite cool. I have seen ones where they leave the option for the key to still start the car also. Normal day to day driving just use the key but with passengers you can use the push button, obv for the cool factor
Scott87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Darkoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3,304
My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
What is the point of putting in the key, turning it to position two, then pushing a button to start it? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of
Yep, it's about as useful as a submarine with flyscreens
__________________
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
BimmerFerret
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cardinal Country, KY
Posts: 1,882
My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Yep, it's about as useful as a submarine with flyscreens
...and cars so low to the ground handling is hindered. Or 19X9 rims with a 235 tire?

End of the day...Your money, your car. With money, anything can happen on any car.
__________________
2008 Infiniti G37S - Big Brakes, Limited Slip, etc.
2007 Sky Redline
1998 Honda Civic EX Sedan


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Awesome, NJ
Posts: 4,534
My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
What is the point of putting in the key, turning it to position two, then pushing a button to start it? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of

What he said.

Put the key on the outboard side of the steering column and I'll be impressed by your LeMans starts.
__________________
Mod the driver first. Participate in your local BMWCCA driving school. Have you joined BMWCCA yet?

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
delmarco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 6,287
My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
cool "idea"
__________________




VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,171
My Ride: BMW
tough crowd today haha

this mod wasn't frowned upon a few years back, but all the cocky newbs who think their pewpie doesn't smell think otherwise


relax my children
__________________
JJR4884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
hummermaniac88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,419
My Ride: 320i
^ +1 lol, I like the button start makes it special...Same reason as having after market bumpers installed and wheels and slamming the car, all for the "cool factor".
__________________
hummermaniac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.
 
zhp pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,020
My Ride: is totaled :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummermaniac88 View Post
^ +1 lol, I like the button start makes it special...Same reason as having after market bumpers installed and wheels and slamming the car, all for the "cool factor".
You're comparison might make sense if it wasn't for the "inconvenience factor" associated with having to remove your hand from the key to push the button.

The only way a push button makes since is if you could leave the key in your pocket and start the car. If one wants a push start BMW, buy an E9x or newer.
__________________
zhp pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,023
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post
You're comparison might make sense if it wasn't for the "inconvenience factor" associated with having to remove your hand from the key to push the button.

The only way a push button makes since is if you could leave the key in your pocket and start the car. If one wants a push start BMW, buy an E9x or newer.
And a slammed car with splitters isn't inconvenient? Of all the mods I've done to my car (or the forum at large), such a tiny percentage of them are actually convenient. Vented hoods, lowered cars, loud exhausts, carbon this or that, etc... all just for a unique look or fun factor.

For what it's worth, I only use my push button once in a blue moon. Maybe once every few months. But, it certainly looks cooler sitting next to the v1 hidden display than the cigarett lighter
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.
 
zhp pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,020
My Ride: is totaled :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
And a slammed car with splitters isn't inconvenient? Of all the mods I've done to my car (or the forum at large), such a tiny percentage of them are actually convenient. Vented hoods, lowered cars, loud exhausts, carbon this or that, etc... all just for a unique look or fun factor.

For what it's worth, I only use my push button once in a blue moon. Maybe once every few months. But, it certainly looks cooler sitting next to the v1 hidden display than the cigarett lighter
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a push button start but only as a convenience feature. I would put it in the same category as autodim/auto tilt mirrors, driver memory features, integrated bluetooth, etc. I just don't think it should be installed based on the "cool factor" and shouldn't be compared to aftermarket bumpers, wheels, etc. Exterior mods are seen by many more people and they can completely change the appearance of the car. A small button that reads "Engine Start" will not do this. Personally, push button start is only "cool" if it removes a step in the process.

However, I totally agree with you that it looks much better than the cig lighter that would be there in your car. It compliments the V1 quite nicely.
__________________
zhp pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
hummermaniac88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,419
My Ride: 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a push button start but only as a convenience feature. I would put it in the same category as autodim/auto tilt mirrors, driver memory features, integrated bluetooth, etc. I just don't think it should be installed based on the "cool factor" and shouldn't be compared to aftermarket bumpers, wheels, etc. Exterior mods are seen by many more people and they can completely change the appearance of the car. A small button that reads "Engine Start" will not do this. Personally, push button start is only "cool" if it removes a step in the process.

However, I totally agree with you that it looks much better than the cig lighter that would be there in your car. It compliments the V1 quite nicely.
Well said, I do agree most mods might be inconvenient, but what can I say? Love is powerful.
__________________
hummermaniac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
xaviman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: puerto rico
Posts: 857
My Ride: Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a push button start but only as a convenience feature. I would put it in the same category as autodim/auto tilt mirrors, driver memory features, integrated bluetooth, etc. I just don't think it should be installed based on the "cool factor" and shouldn't be compared to aftermarket bumpers, wheels, etc. Exterior mods are seen by many more people and they can completely change the appearance of the car. A small button that reads "Engine Start" will not do this. Personally, push button start is only "cool" if it removes a step in the process.

However, I totally agree with you that it looks much better than the cig lighter that would be there in your car. It compliments the V1 quite nicely.
Delmarco: this is was i meant by riceness ^^^. i have to admit that i have always wanted a push start button, but this one only adds an extra step to start the car, i know this is freaking cool, maybe the idea you provided can work, but as it just adds an extra steep....it is just another sthetical mod we do to our cars.. just to enjoy it more ourselves and to impress chicks (lol). that said, maybe some borred day i will do it, but just for the joy, it isnt an improvement. And once again, you know the story of the fender grilles, i gotta live with them...affter all is my car and i love it like that, thats what matter rigth?. btw, i consider you the king of the diy's, try to do the button "fully" functional.

Chase: your car is one of the greatest out there, it looks way than a lot of m3's here.
__________________

Screen shot 2014-01-25 at 12.36.33 PM by xaviman, on Flickr
Instagram: xaviman
xaviman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #15
xaviman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: puerto rico
Posts: 857
My Ride: Supercharged
i like the coolness, but key+push button is riceness.
__________________

Screen shot 2014-01-25 at 12.36.33 PM by xaviman, on Flickr
Instagram: xaviman
xaviman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #16
hummermaniac88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,419
My Ride: 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaviman View Post
i like the coolness, but key+push button is riceness.
Hey rice is good, I eat it every night, and its great when you feel like having alot of something.
__________________
hummermaniac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
Bimmerci330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Milford, CT
Posts: 263
My Ride: 02 330CI 3 Pedals :)
Send a message via AIM to Bimmerci330
now if you could somehow rewire it so when you insert the key the car thinks its in position 2 and then push the button, that way it would be more like the new cars. dont know if its possible though.

HUMMERMANIAC88: looks like we have the same tails
__________________
Bimmerci330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #18
hummermaniac88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,419
My Ride: 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerci330 View Post
now if you could somehow rewire it so when you insert the key the car thinks its in position 2 and then push the button, that way it would be more like the new cars. dont know if its possible though.

HUMMERMANIAC88: looks like we have the same tails
I ripped mine off 2 days ago when I got pulled over , sucks, but I am going to re-tint them lighter.
__________________
hummermaniac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #19
delmarco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 6,287
My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerci330 View Post
now if you could somehow rewire it so when you insert the key the car thinks its in position 2 and then push the button, that way it would be more like the new cars. dont know if its possible though.

HUMMERMANIAC88: looks like we have the same tails
I think the original E36 push button start didn't require the key. Just unlocking the door with the key/alarm fob and pushing the button. Also you can enter a security alarm code in the OBC to disarm the ignition lock then push start. no key required at all.
__________________




VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
aahmed2016
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Jonesboro, GA, USA
Posts: 759
My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I think the original E36 push button start didn't require the key. Just unlocking the door with the key/alarm fob and pushing the button. Also you can enter a security alarm code in the OBC to disarm the ignition lock then push start. no key required at all.
That would kind of be not secure, don't you think? For all you know, I'm a stalker, and now I know that all I have to do is push the button, and drive off into the sunset.
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use