E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Many330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Little Elm, TX
Posts: 1,199
My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Open connector under shift(er) boot

Guys, I pulled up my shifter boot for the first time (because I have some noticeable vibration on the shifter) and I noticed this white 'open' connector that's not connected to anything. Does anyone know if it serves any purpose or was hooked on to something but came loose? It's right under the shifter boot above the foam material!
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Many330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Little Elm, TX
Posts: 1,199
My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
After further research, I do understand the connector is reserved for illuminating the shift knob as the wire goes into the knob. My question is, are other zhp knobs illuminated? If so, does anyone know where I need to connect the connector to. If there is no available female connector, anyone know where I can source the necessary voltage to illuminate mine - it's not illuminated!
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Many330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Little Elm, TX
Posts: 1,199
My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Guys, I need help: is the OEM zhp shifter already set for illumination? I found this and will attempt tomorrow:

http://www.bimmian.com/elements/page...ht/ISK/ISK.pdf
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
I_Miss_My_///M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 126
My Ride: 325i-RIP, '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
Guys, I need help: is the OEM zhp shifter already set for illumination? I found this and will attempt tomorrow:

http://www.bimmian.com/elements/page...ht/ISK/ISK.pdf
No it's not. An illuminated knob will have a pigtail coming out of it to plug into the connector that you found. There was a guy on bimmerforums awhile ago that was turning zhp knobs into illuminated ones. I'm not sure if he still does them or not though.
I_Miss_My_///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Many330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Little Elm, TX
Posts: 1,199
My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Miss_My_///M View Post
No it's not. An illuminated knob will have a pigtail coming out of it to plug into the connector that you found. There was a guy on bimmerforums awhile ago that was turning zhp knobs into illuminated ones. I'm not sure if he still does them or not though.
Thanx, maybe I wasn't clear, the connector is attached to the pigtail loom coming out/from the knob. I saw pics of what the guy on bimmerforums is doing - adding LEDS to the zhp knob and a connecting wire. That's why I referenced that diy to find out if the OEM zhp already has lighting in it because on mine, as I said, there is a pigtail coming out of the knob..! If that's the case, I can the diy from bimmian to locate wires for power from.
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
I_Miss_My_///M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 126
My Ride: 325i-RIP, '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
Thanx, maybe I wasn't clear, the connector is attached to the pigtail loom coming out/from the knob. I saw pics of what the guy on bimmerforums is doing - adding LEDS to the zhp knob and a connecting wire. That's why I referenced that diy to find out if the OEM zhp already has lighting in it because on mine, as I said, there is a pigtail coming out of the knob..! If that's the case, I can the diy from bimmian to locate wires for power from.
See that... I didn't read thoroughly! I was thinking you were saying that you found the in-car connection. If your knob has the pigtail, then by all means, hook it up!
I_Miss_My_///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
Many330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Little Elm, TX
Posts: 1,199
My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Miss_My_///M View Post
See that... I didn't read thoroughly! I was thinking you were saying that you found the in-car connection. If your knob has the pigtail, then by all means, hook it up!
It does, and to think I have had the car for three years without knowing it!
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use