E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
bimmer654
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 514
My Ride: 2004 330xi
Calling XI's with a Drop...are u happy with ride comfort???

So I was thinking about doing a drop, but when I did a search it seems like many XI owners who did this regret it due to a harsh ride as a result. I would be interested in hearing from those who have done it & how your ride compares to stock. If lowering with springs & sport shocks will give a bone jarring ride, I'll think I will stick with the SUV look since ride quality/comfort is more important to me than looks. Also I would be interested in hearing from those who did a coilover. How much drop did it give you & is ride quality close to stock? Thanks much for your input.
__________________
bimmer654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Kubica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,351
My Ride: 2003 325xi
I'm stock springs with Bilstein HD's, so no drop. Dinan gets the best marks for ride comfort. H&R springs are the worst. Eibach is somewhere in between.

I'd love a set of coilovers that would be stock height at their highest and h&r low at their lowest.

Bilstein Sport shocks seem to offer almost zero travel on an xi- they are going to be very rough regardless of spring choice. Much different than the ride the RWDers get on Bilsteins.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
delmarco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 6,287
My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Why would you pay money for all wheel drive vehicle and then drop it?
__________________




VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 05-25-2010 at 10:59 AM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,171
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Why would you pay money for and wheel drive vehicle and then drop it?
because they feel they need an "xi" in the snow rather than going with snow tires...

no offense OP, i'm sure you have your own reasons... but after having blizzacks in RI for 3 years, there is absolutely no reason to get an Xi

on the flip side, maybe the OP found the "perfect" e46 and it just so happened to have xi

__________________

Last edited by JJR4884; 05-25-2010 at 11:10 AM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
e36-2.0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 992
My Ride: 330xi
kubica
dinan just uses rebranded H&R sport and koni yellows... same thing.
these springs are actually quite harsh. very similar spring rates to H&R race

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
because they feel they need an "xi" in the snow rather than going with snow tires...

no offense OP, i'm sure you have your own reasons... but after having blizzacks in RI for 3 years, there is absolutely no reason to get an Xi

on the flip side, maybe the OP found the "perfect" e46 and it just so happened to have xi

i rock dedicated snow tires for the winter months and its FAR better than my e36 with winters. even though i did think my e36 was already fantastic in the snow. i would never trust a rwd with winters outside the city where conditions are far more unpredictable.
__________________

'02 330xi
Konigsport/Ground Control/DPE/BMW Motorsport/Eurosport/Turner Motorsport/PowerFlex/RacingDynamics/Hotchkis/UUC/Beisan/Bimmerworld/Dinan/Conforti/RPI/GroupN/Technik/Dynavin


Alberta's BMW enthusiast forum.
-Projecttechnik.com
e36-2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,171
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36-2.0 View Post
i rock dedicated snow tires for the winter months and its FAR better than my e36 with winters. even though i did think my e36 was already fantastic in the snow. i would never trust a rwd with winters outside the city where conditions are far more unpredictable.
i would never doubt that Xi with snow tires is anything less than perfect in the snow

however what is your driving habits where your car is unpredictable? I'm not trying to cause an argument, but common sense will tell you if conditions on the road are bad, it doesn't matter what kind of drivetrain/tires you have, you drive with extra caution

if you want to talk about swerving out of the way or slipping on black ice... ya MAYBE if you use Xi to straighten out you'll have the upper hand, but 9 times out of 10, your reaction in a case of "unpredictable conditions" will cause you to use your brakes, not your gas pedal.... and in that case, it won't matter if you have 4wd or RWD
__________________
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
e36-2.0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 992
My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
i would never doubt that Xi with snow tires is anything less than perfect in the snow

however what is your driving habits where your car is unpredictable? I'm not trying to cause an argument, but common sense will tell you if conditions on the road are bad, it doesn't matter what kind of drivetrain/tires you have, you drive with extra caution

if you want to talk about swerving out of the way or slipping on black ice... ya MAYBE if you use Xi to straighten out you'll have the upper hand, but 9 times out of 10, your reaction in a case of "unpredictable conditions" will cause you to use your brakes, not your gas pedal.... and in that case, it won't matter if you have 4wd or RWD
i think where i live we get some of the worst conditions where ice is very prominent with -40 celcus weather and the thickest of snow falls. of course driver experience does play a role but the added traaction and stability is just a no brainer. i do still miss rwd in the summer months even tho it is slower jk
__________________

'02 330xi
Konigsport/Ground Control/DPE/BMW Motorsport/Eurosport/Turner Motorsport/PowerFlex/RacingDynamics/Hotchkis/UUC/Beisan/Bimmerworld/Dinan/Conforti/RPI/GroupN/Technik/Dynavin


Alberta's BMW enthusiast forum.
-Projecttechnik.com
e36-2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Kubica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,351
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
i would never doubt that Xi with snow tires is anything less than perfect in the snow

however what is your driving habits where your car is unpredictable? I'm not trying to cause an argument, but common sense will tell you if conditions on the road are bad, it doesn't matter what kind of drivetrain/tires you have, you drive with extra caution
Haha. JJ, I'm sorry but you just don't get it man. Haha. You have never driven an xi in the snow! Do you know how i know? Becasue an xi is never unpredictable in the snow! Haha.

I drive retarded fast in the snow- I'm a ski racer. My xi does 15+ trips a year from Boston>>Jay Peak (it's on the VT/Quebec border if you didn't know). I stepped up to studded Nokian Hakkas last winter becasue i wanted to go even faster in the snow. You may have to slow down and "drive with extra caution" with your blizzaks. I'm the guy doing 85+mph in the unplowed left lane- you are the guy stuck behind a plow spreading rock salt all over your hood.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Kubica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,351
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36-2.0 View Post
kubica
dinan just uses rebranded H&R sport and koni yellows... same thing.
these springs are actually quite harsh. very similar spring rates to H&R race
Hey I understand the Dinan springs are made by H&R, but i am fairly certain they are different. The reason I think this (besides the fact I have seen no proof) is the fact that I've driven Sna77's xi with Koni and H&R, and the ride was night and day different than the Dinan stage 1 setup for xi. I've read that Dinan "valves" their Koni's differently than those you can buy off the shelf, but i'm not sure just valving the shocks different would change the characteristics that much. All of this leads me to believe the Dinan springs, though made by H&R, are different to the ones readily available from sponsors.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
bimmer654
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 514
My Ride: 2004 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
because they feel they need an "xi" in the snow rather than going with snow tires...

no offense OP, i'm sure you have your own reasons... but after having blizzacks in RI for 3 years, there is absolutely no reason to get an Xi

on the flip side, maybe the OP found the "perfect" e46 and it just so happened to have xi

I bought the XI so I don't have to worry about the harsh New England winters. With all due respect, after owning both a 5 & 7 series with rear wheel drive I have to disagree with you...they suck in the snow with or without blizzacks. Whereas with our famous noreasters my XI will plow through just about anything & the rear wheel drives are off in a bank somewhere or spinning sideways up a hill.
__________________
bimmer654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
botaman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In the wood
Posts: 650
My Ride: 330xi/5 530/5SC
The none XI owners are good at speculating. The XI are not only faster but will bring you home in any kind of blizzards that mother nature brings on any terrain of Upstate NY and Vermont. Oh! and don't tell me Subaru and Audi are better because we really don't give a damn if they are.
botaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
GCoop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Charlottesville VA
Posts: 1,077
My Ride: '04 325xi
NIght and day difference between capabilities of an XI vs non XI on winter tread.

With that said I really cant add to the topic at hand because I am running stock and have no experience with a lowered XI. So I guess all I am doing is just adding fuel to the fire.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
Dreamliner330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,843
My Ride: 330xi
I still have my stock shocks (61k) and H&R Sports. I am not super happy with the ride quality, its a bit stiff, but the gap looks soo bad. If I see a good deal on oem xi springs (I sold mine) I would contemplate going back. Though, if I replace my shocks, that might help too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
because they feel they need an "xi" in the snow rather than going with snow tires...

no offense OP, i'm sure you have your own reasons... but after having blizzacks in RI for 3 years, there is absolutely no reason to get an Xi

on the flip side, maybe the OP found the "perfect" e46 and it just so happened to have xi

I have an xi & snow tires & H&R. As long as I dont bottom out on a snow bank, I'm unstoppable.

Sorry JJR, but your waaay wrong. xi>rwd in inclement weather.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #14
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,171
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post

as for jj.. your car is nice, lets just leave it at that.. there really is no reason for you to come into this thread and bash an xi.. go comment in the showroom on someone who needs a drop or clears..
lol when did i "bash" on xi's? and don't try to insult me with that "drop or clears" comment, i've contributed enough to this forum to have my own opinion, i don't go around all day bashing people's cars left and right

all i said was "here in RI, i see no reason for Xi compared to RWD"

that is a FACT.... maybe where you are from its a little bit different, but all you AWD owners are getting seriously butthurt.

do you seriously believe that regular road conditions of a couple inches of snow means you NEED an xi? I'll say, for the people that drive on unplowed roads all day, different story, but rwd with snow tires will work completely fine

you guys are seriously way too sensitive, not once did i make a comment on "omg Xi's are horrible, they look like shiit, etc etc..." so stop being so goddamn sensitive


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
Sorry JJR, but your waaay wrong. xi>rwd in inclement weather.
lol when did i say RWD>Xi
i even said "i know rwd with snows could NEVER compare to an Xi with snows"


k i'm done explaining myself because you people don't know how to read
__________________

Last edited by JJR4884; 05-26-2010 at 09:22 AM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
wdeerfield
Registered User
 
wdeerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Clifton Park, New York
Posts: 3,500
My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
l
that is a FACT.... maybe where you are from its a little bit different, but all you AWD owners are getting seriously butthurt.

you guys are seriously way too sensitive, not once did i make a comment on "omg Xi's are horrible, they look like shiit, etc etc..." so stop being so goddamn sensitive


k i'm done explaining myself because you people don't know how to read
Its the same old song and dance from non-xi owners, come into a thread that clearly has no relevance to them and then state why their car is soooo much better or is just what you need. Im not sitting here getting butthurt over anything.

For me, like i said before, an XI was a much better choice for when its dumping and im heading to the mountains. Id really like you to drive from RI to Jaypeak VT during the next blizzard and tell me you wouldn't rather be in a car with AWD. Ive been in both a 325i and my xi during snow conditions and the 325i handled like crap compared to the xi (both equipped with snow tires). the xi has a feeling of being more planted to the road. The 325i just wanted to slide out much easier.

Now, you can spit that AWD is a marketing gimmick and we've been brainwashed into thinking that because we live in the northeast, we need AWD, but that is just entirely false. Just look at the new x-drive system that is being incorporated into everything. AWD is becoming a staple system on most car brands and is being used for better handling, not just for getting through the snow.

On the other hand, if i wasnt such an avid skier and lived in the south below the snow, i would have purchased a RWD E46 and been thankful to miss all the problems i encounter with the awd system now..

For now, ill live with the ride height and the "needs a drop" comments i get.
__________________

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #16
MileHiXi
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 884
My Ride: '02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
because they feel they need an "xi" in the snow rather than going with snow tires...

no offense OP, i'm sure you have your own reasons... but after having blizzacks in RI for 3 years, there is absolutely no reason to get an Xi

on the flip side, maybe the OP found the "perfect" e46 and it just so happened to have xi

LOL your RWD car in the snow with snow-tires is RETARDEDLY terrible and you don't even know it!
MileHiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #17
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,171
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiXi View Post
LOL your RWD car in the snow with snow-tires is RETARDEDLY terrible and you don't even know it!
awwwwwwwww someone wanted to get a word in.... adorable

(another over-sensitive Xi owner)

keep reading sunshine
__________________
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #18
MileHiXi
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 884
My Ride: '02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
awwwwwwwww someone wanted to get a word in.... adorable

(another over-sensitive Xi owner)

keep reading sunshine
I love it that your car is slower and can't go in the snow. HILARIOUS! Srsly tho. . . M3, XI or a different car.

So you've made it up all the "hills" in RI. Try coming and pulling that **** in february in Colorado where the "hills" are 14000 feet tall and where 3 inches of snow isn't called a "storm."
MileHiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #19
bimmer654
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 514
My Ride: 2004 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Why would you pay money for all wheel drive vehicle and then drop it?
The drop is for looks mainly & handling too, but whether you drop or not you still have AWD..so I'm not seeing your point???
__________________
bimmer654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
Kubica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,351
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh.

Let's change the thread name to: "RWDers, Come speculate about the XI"

I personally see no reason to buy a 330i when you can buy an M3. In the e46 stable, a 330i doesn't do anything the best. M3's smoke the bejesus out of you in the dry, and a 330xi is faster than you in the wet and snow.

M3 or Xi FTW.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use