E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
kilativv

My Ride: 330xi
WTB: Rear springs broken 2001 330xi

For the past month there have been some rattling noise coming from the rear suspension area and today,as I was driving down to my parents house(who have a garage) to take a look at the problem, I heard a metallic piece falling onto the asphalt behind me. Luckily I was able to stop and pick it up - it was top part of the rear spring.

When I finally took the tires off to inspect it, I also discovered that the left spring is broken as well. I looked around the forum and this seems to be like a typical issue for a 100k BMW.

So I have few questions:

1) Can I still drive my car or should I let it rest until I replace the springs.
2) I'm looking to get an OEM replacement as I don't want to drop my car or affect change the stiffness of the ride. Tischer has them for $135 each - is that a good price?

Or maybe someone has their old springs still laying around - that would be even greater. Please name your price and shipping unless your are in Boston area.

Thanks!
kilativv is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
barfoot1

My Ride: 2002 325xi
This actually just happen to me on my 325xi....

All the way back in January I was stopped at a stop light and heard a loud shot, like a high tension wire breaking. I had no idea what it was, but about 2 weeks ago I was rotating my tires and noticed the rear passenger spring was broken. So I have been driving unknowingly with a broken spring for about 5 months. I wouldn't recommend driving on it though, I would have changed mine sooner if I would have known.

Like you, I also started looking for a set of stock springs for my xi. Thinking used would be way cheaper, I ended up paying $95/spring from Bavarian Auto Recycling. Of course the next day Tischer emailed me the same quote as you. I really wish I would have bought two new springs from Tischer. So to answer your second question, yes, I think $135 is reasonable and I would highly recommend just buying a new set from Tischer.

Hope that helps!
-John
barfoot1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
springs