E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
King of Chicago

My Ride: '09 & '12 Acura MDX
current books you are reading?

I just started Outliers http://www.amazon.com/Outliers-Story...7306200&sr=1-1

and also have Unexpected Returns http://www.amazon.com/Unexpected-Ret...7306171&sr=1-1

and Creature of Jekyl Island http://www.amazon.com/Creature-Jekyl.../dp/0912986212

first one is supposed to change your perspective on life, i've had some bright people tell me they would have raised their kids differently had they read it earlier in life. the second two are more academia/finance books, but explain the reality of the stock market, and the harsh reality of the b.s. federal reserve system.

any book recommendations?
King of Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
TNTBOOM

My Ride: NJ transit
DMT the spirit molecule
TNTBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBOOM View Post
DMT the spirit molecule
Great read. I read that years ago; it's really interesting stuff.

Currently reading A Very Short Introduction to Music, just finished the short introduction the brain. I might finish my book on dark matter after this, but so far, it's been boring as hell.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
TNTBOOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Great read. I read that years ago; it's really interesting stuff.

Currently reading A Very Short Introduction to Music, just finished the short introduction the brain. I might finish my book on dark matter after this, but so far, it's been boring as hell.
So far it makes me want to try it ..
Old 06-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
^lol

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
TNTBOOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
^lol
I find it very interesting...
Old 06-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
an amazing book... highly recommend the read

another great book

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
My father in law just loaded me up with a bunch of good junky novels that he borrowed from his 1% biker friends.

Lee Child writes a series of books about Jack Reacher - a retired 6'6" military cop who travels the country as a one man A-Team. It's the ultimate male fantasy. This guy carries nothing but a toothbrush and an ATM card. He doesn't cook. He doesn't do laundry - when his clothes get dirty he throws them out. He has no home, no responsibilities, no need for a job. He has no purpose other than not letting people get away with fvcking with him or people he likes. Fun stuff. The outlaw bikers love these books apparently.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
My father in law just loaded me up with a bunch of good junky novels that he borrowed from his 1% biker friends.

Lee Child writes a series of books about Jack Reacher - a retired 6'6" military cop who travels the country as a one man A-Team. It's the ultimate male fantasy. This guy carries nothing but a toothbrush and an ATM card. He doesn't cook. He doesn't do laundry - when his clothes get dirty he throws them out. He has no home, no responsibilities, no need for a job. He has no purpose other than not letting people get away with fvcking with him or people he likes. Fun stuff. The outlaw bikers love these books apparently.
Excellent.

One comment I was going to make, before I saw this post, was that it seems like everyone here reads all kinds of economic theory books and other stuff like that. Doesn't anyone like to read fiction? I love a good novel.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Excellent.

One comment I was going to make, before I saw this post, was that it seems like everyone here reads all kinds of economic theory books and other stuff like that. Doesn't anyone like to read fiction? I love a good novel.
Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to read, I want to learn something, not waste my time on a story.

flickher

Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to read, I want to learn something, not waste my time on a story.
And thus cowmoo dismissed all of classic literature in one fell swoop.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
And thus cowmoo dismissed all of classic literature in one fell swoop.
hahaha I'm not dismissing it, I just don't enjoy it. I took an entire class on Shakespeare in high school, and read most of the classics in that time, too. But I just feel like I'm wasting my time with stories, fiction or otherwise. I did read Divine Right's Trip last year, but the closest I've come to reading a story since then is the historic preface to a physics book.

flickher

Old 06-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
Quote:
Excellent.

I love a good novel also. I think a lot of lawyers who like to read think this way. We read all the time. We read enough in law school for 10 life times. So it is so relaxing to read for entertainment.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #14
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdolej View Post
I love a good novel also. I think a lot of lawyers who like to read think this way. We read all the time. We read enough in law school for 10 life times. So it is so relaxing to read for entertainment.
I think this is true. I was a voracious reader from the time I was a little kid, and then I worked as an editor and copywriter for several years before heading off to law school. So I can plow through written material in a big hurry--reading a good book is a nice diversion from professional journals and the rest of the documents I draft and review.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
I haven't read a real book in years . I find myself exhausted after reading technical papers/journals and magazine articles related to work.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I haven't read a real book in years . I find myself exhausted after reading technical papers/journals and magazine articles related to work.
Totally understandable. I hadn't considered that maybe people were reading these things for work/career advancement.

But still: a good novel on the nightstand, with 15-20 minutes of reading before you go to sleep, is a nice diversion.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #17
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256

engine managment by greg banish
Old 06-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #18
cowmoo32
drunken science

See, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. We read literally nothing in engineering, so when I do read, plowing through somewhat dry technical material isn't a big deal and actually enjoyable. You guys get to sift through verbal mire all day, I don't blame you for enjoying an easy read.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 06-23-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #19
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
See, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. We read literally nothing in engineering, so when I do read, plowing through somewhat dry technical material isn't a big deal and actually enjoyable. You guys get to sift through verbal mire all day, I don't blame you for enjoying an easy read.
I try to break my fun reading time down between easy stuff (some sci-fi, other modern literature) and heavy classics and experimental lit, just to keep that part of my brain sharp.

You don't read anything in engineering? I hadn't realized that. To be honest, I don't really have a very good understanding of what engineers do on a day-to-day basis.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #20
Dcha

My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
Cowmoo32 doesn't dream.