E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
sandman512

My Ride: 2005 325I
Calling Home Improvement guys. School me in Crown Molding.

I'm pretty handy at doing home improvement stuff, but just can't nail(no pun)down the Crown Molding. Advice? THANKS!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
m1356guy

My Ride: is worth $5k
nail gun
Old 08-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1356guy View Post
nail gun

Step 1 of 1

OP: Nailing is your issue? What type of "nails" are your using and what type of gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
It's not really that easy, though you'd think it is...lots to do to get it right.

First, remember crown isn't 45 degrees most of the time...it's usually something like 54/46 iirc...so keep track of up and down.

If this is a flat ceiling it's doable...if a sloped ceiling...just don't bother if you need it looking tight...sorry.

Mark wall by holding a short section of crown in corner and marking with pencil...so you don't end up with it warping up and down as you go.

band a nail in on the line as needed for your 'third hand'...nail corners and move in one direction...using same angle with nail gun (which I do hope you have or rent) (BTW, doublecheck the angles on miter saw...both 90's...up and down (measure between teeth) for up and down.

Any splices you need...45 degrees from front and then like 30 degrees back...and use wood glue. I leave extra for that joint...so would cut the corners first, then cut one side of the splice...and leave the saw as is...then nail that first piece up...then trim off what you need from the second piece...again with saw not moved so the splice is perfect...trim away slowly coz you can't put wood back on.

If corners aren't perfect 90 degrees...and they won't be...you'll have to live with a fine hairline crack at joints unless you're a carpenter...that's why god made caulk.

Nail below surface and fill every hole with spackle (I like drydex...goes on pink, dries white)...sand those holes first after drying...then you have to caulk both ceiling and walls...any cracks between (and they'll be there) have to be filled or it'll look like you did it...and like you learned how from some random guy on the Internet...worse...from a car forum!

There are diy vids around I know. Me? I bought a book and studied...and also made myself templates for inside corners and outside corners.

You'll make mistakes in cutting (coz crown isn't 45 degrees as I said, so when it's in the miter saw, you have to have the orientation proper for both sides of cuts...and the crown sitting nicely in saw...might buy crown 'holders' for miter.

Okay...I'll stop...lots to it. If your wife is pushing for this...I'll warn you that there's a risk she'll be sorry...but if you give her wine during and after and distract her down low...it might end up looking fine.

It's not easy...and won't be for a while. I've done a lot of it, but am not a carpenter...and am now good, but still make mistakes in cuts...so get the cuts figured out first...make little templates.

HTH...search the greater internet and you'll see how complicated this 'simple sounding' thing is.

Baseboard, btw, it much easier, as is a chair rail...maybe try that to spruce up the room first and get used to things.

Do not try with a hand miter box or by just drawing lines and and using a handsaw...you really need a miter saw (10" is fine)...and you really sort of need a nail gun.

On nail gun...get corner set...nail straight to lock it in and not change it's angle...and keep that angle consistent...coz if you go in at an angle...you'll move crown...keep it to the line you've drawn or you'll see warping when you look at it...and if it's in a white semi-gloss against a different color wall (it should be!), that'll attenuate the warping and it'll look bad.

Damn...knew I shouldn't have started this...think I covered most of the stuff...but there are details just too difficult to cover.

Also, if you didn't know from my posts in general...I'm ocd...sort of...but that helps not just with working on cars...but crown too!

And again...give it up if it's not a flat ceiling...and absolutely give it up if you're not painting it. BTW...painting a coat or two before will make it much sharper...then you'll just be left with painting over one time to cover up the caulking/spackling.

Please don't ask me how to paint, though...my fingers at fanatics are mostly for car stuff!

HTH...and sorry!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
dmax

Okay...what the fvck is wrong with me...while I'm typing all this...I see that the 'correct' answers were to just pick some species of saw or type of nail!

Coping can work, but being ocd, think it's cheaper looking if not done well...and then more caulk anyway...though that is an alternative.

Anyway...I'm going to start to do that more...the one word answer...will get to many more threads that way! LOL

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 08-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
miter saw
Old 08-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
coping saw

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
coping saw
winner

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
wasp9166
ima touching member

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...214981,00.html

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
Old 08-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

Doug - look around the home improvement threads here in OT. You'll find chapters that Jon and I have written. It's nice to have another 'expert' around. Jon and I can sit back and offer the abbreviated replies.

Click Here to say hi.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #11
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken@bimmertools View Post
Doug - look around the home improvement threads here in OT. You'll find chapters that Jon and I have written. It's nice to have another 'expert' around. Jon and I can sit back and offer the abbreviated replies.
I'm going back to General, Ken...I don't want anyone to think I think I'm a know-it-all! I've done lots of home improvement and love being done with in! Did a whole gut of downstairs...new tile, new ceiling, new lights, new bathroom complete with plumbing (50 joint faucet for jacuzzi was my 'crowning' success) and I'm leaking very little coolant from all the copper I did!

Only came to OT coz my TV broke (we have two others...but I'm going to be waking everyone up tomorrow when I turn up the volume for the first lap tomorrow at Spa! Whoopy...long month of waiting!

Anyway...if you or JonJon need help...just PM me...glad to help if I can...otherwise...I know nothing!

Doug

Old 08-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
doug - look around the home improvement threads here in ot. You'll find chapters that jon and i have written. It's nice to have another 'expert' around. Jon and i can sit back and offer the abbreviated replies.
+1

Dmax needs decaf

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #13
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
+1

dmax needs decaf
Close! I get my one cup of espresso in the a.m...then Mtn Dew during the day...then fanatics to work out the excess with my fingers! But, I type really quickly...not quite as quickly as I speak though yet!

Hey, Ken...maybe you'll join me in Union NJ on Sept 19 for the 'e46 seminar' I'm hosting at my buddies shop...we're not locking the doors and taking money...I want to meet my fellow fanatics...but all the meets are past my bedtime and involve more beer than I can take (I'm a wimp)...anyway, I know you wouldn't learn anything you don't know...but would love to have you contribute and keep me honest if you're able. I'll post more details later...and JJ...not commercial...I hope...I do want locals to know they've got another shop to consider, but mostly it's coz I'm a fanatic, know lots, like learning and sharing both...so hope this isn't a 'fanatics violation.' If it is, let me know and we'll figure something out.

Night guys! OP...GL with crown. If you get stuck...pm me and I'll give you someone else's cell number...JK!

D

Old 08-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #14
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

smart man.

Click Here to say hi.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #15
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
smart man.
PS: Ken I found a Pod Cast of you online.

sexy voice

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #16
wasp9166
ima touching member

wtf is going here,lol coping looks cheap? need to relax my man

Quote:
Old 08-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #17
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Coping does look cheap if it's done wrong (gaps), but looks amazing if done correctly. I can show you samples of both in my house

hahahaha (now where did I leave that wood putty...)

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #18
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

Quote:
PS: Ken I found a Pod Cast of you online.

sexy voice
Yikes. I didn't have an off button that night. Lots of blah blah blah blah blah...

Quote:
Coping does look cheap if it's done wrong (gaps), but looks amazing if done correctly. I can show you samples of both in my house

hahahaha (now where did I leave that wood putty...)
You and me both. This is why I went with paint grade everywhere.

I actually wound up making my own style 'crown' for the last project. Basically like a 3-piece base, but applied to the wall at the ceiling line. Makes a nice frame without any actual crown.

Click Here to say hi.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #19
dmax

Quote:
Fair enough. First time...miter 45's seem easiest and most likely to look sharp. Either done well looks well done...but I think that the miter is easier and quicker and looks sharp. With coping, you really need to get the profile so close or else, the amount of caulk, combined with expansion of wood, just can leave ugly seams.

BTW, OP...that's another thing I need to mention...keep crown sitting in the room for at least a few days if not more to acclimate so as to minimize expansion/contraction.

Okay...now I'll stop...not easy being me! LOL

Doug

Old 08-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #20
sandman512

My Ride: 2005 325I
Thanks for the responses. I should of been more specific. My problem is in cutting the angles and setting the wood up on my miter saw. Thanks again!