E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
So my convertible top stopped working.......

Just inches away of fully closing and the top stops. Light blinks on the top up switch, no movement by holding down the switch.

So here is what I discover. One wire in the harness is completely cut, another is ready to break. The area of concern for reference is in the circled area below, right at he hinge point that is circled.

Here is a picture of the green wire that was close to breaking off next

So what I did was spliced in two new pieces of wire. I made certain the splices where not at the pivot point but beyond it/ Next to the green wire, you can actually seen a black wire (which was the brown and red striped wire which broke) which I replaced. I soldered them in, then wrapped them in electrical tape, then tie wrapped the harness in a few spots along the rail.

Problem solved.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
R1200RT

My Ride: 2004 330CIC
Thanks for the details.

'04 330CIC, 3 pedals, M Sports\Aerodynamics Packages
'05 BMW R1200RT
'00 BMW R1100S
'04 BMW R1200C Montauk
'95 BMW R100R Classic
R1200RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
nice
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Pbergunder

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
So did you splice the open the harness to check the wire?
Pbergunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
dcdude68

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbergunder View Post
So did you splice the open the harness to check the wire?
I think you meant slice (and peel back) the harness cover to get access to make the splice? Just trying to clarify.

Either way, Fran: what did you use to re-wrap the wires with for protection? Were you able to tuck the harness out of the way so it won't get pinched again?
dcdude68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
fmzip

yes.............

as pictured
Old 10-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
This must be a common problem, the PO of my car had this exact same repair done.
taylor192 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
fmzip

It is a common problem. Wish it would stay at the top of this forum so I could stop pointing countless people to it

Last edited by fmzip; 10-16-2012 at 08:10 PM.
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
You could consolidate the most common vert top fixes (that wiring one, the bat wing issue, etc) into one thread linking to the DIYs and ask the mods to sticky it.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
fmzip

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
You could consolidate the most common vert top fixes (that wiring one, the bat wing issue, etc) into one thread linking to the DIYs and ask the mods to sticky it.
I did that.....

they stickied another thread instead but no one reads that one either:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=854059
Old 10-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
fmzip

I cut open the braid, inspected the wires and spliced in new wire where need be. Next, soldered (no clean solder) and used shrink tubing. Then I used electrical tape to tape the braid back together

It's not that they are getting pinched, it's that they are being bent over and over again which causes the wire to fracture. No way around this from happening

BMW should have used some heavier gauged wire or one with a thicker jacket. That's what I used when I made the splice.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Yeah. They should've used braided wiring.
Wonder how they do all this in the current hardtop verts.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:06 AM   #13
gamefacenyc

My Ride: bmw/others
my top is not working button flashing all the time and does nothing when pressed. i can manually open and close the top and ive checked the motor and it has oil in it and you can hear it turn on when i connect back the car battery. is there any relays or fuses to check?
gamefacenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #14
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefacenyc View Post
my top is not working button flashing all the time and does nothing when pressed. i can manually open and close the top and ive checked the motor and it has oil in it and you can hear it turn on when i connect back the car battery. is there any relays or fuses to check?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
I did that.....

they stickied another thread instead but no one reads that one either:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=854059
Ironic.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:40 AM   #15
gamefacenyc

i have checked my cables and nothing is cut
Old 02-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #16
taylor192

Quote:
i have checked my cables and nothing is cut
Did you visibly check them? or electrically test them?

If you didn't electrically test them, go do it. Wires can break internally, or at different bends. The first bend above the drivers seat is the most common bend, yet not the only bend the wires break.

Alternatively get the codes get by a shop. A blinking light means a code is stored, it is unlikely to be a fuse. If you want to check fuses, the fuse panel has a guide indicating all the fuses for the top.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #17
gamefacenyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Did you visibly check them? or electrically test them?

If you didn't electrically test them, go do it. Wires can break internally, or at different bends. The first bend above the drivers seat is the most common bend, yet not the only bend the wires break.

Alternatively get the codes get by a shop. A blinking light means a code is stored, it is unlikely to be a fuse. If you want to check fuses, the fuse panel has a guide indicating all the fuses for the top.
thanks on the help,
i visibly checked the whole car/ took the whole trunk panels and left rear panels off.

anyhow i forgot to mention that my rear defrost is not working {just here a click sound when pressed} and saw from the other ad that it could be one of the 3 electromag sensors? anyone has a pic of them/location?

Last edited by gamefacenyc; 02-25-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #18
taylor192

Quote:
thanks on the help,
i visibly checked the whole car/ took the whole trunk panels and left rear panels off.

anyhow i forgot to mention that my rear defrost is not working {just here a click sound when pressed} and saw from the other ad that it could be one of the 3 electromag sensors? anyone has a pic of them/location?
Visibly checking is NOT enough. Perform the electrical troubleshooting in the sticky, or take it to a shop to get the codes read, or keep guessing at what the problem is and throw parts at it.

It "could" be anything. This is why you need to read the codes or do some electrical troubleshooting. Anything else is just a guess.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #19
Kay D Boss

I have a 325ci, if you just need to buy some time. Lower the top completely, manually. Press the reset button below the arm rest in the back seat. Dont remove the seat! The reset button will release the roof from the hydraulic mechanism. Then you can close and ooen it manually. Call momentum bmw parts dept ask for e46 convertable allen wrench. Totally cost 7$ lol. .

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Kay D Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #20
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay D Boss View Post
I have a 325ci, if you just need to buy some time. Lower the top completely, manually. Press the reset button below the arm rest in the back seat. Dont remove the seat! The reset button will release the roof from the hydraulic mechanism. Then you can close and ooen it manually. Call momentum bmw parts dept ask for e46 convertable allen wrench. Totally cost 7$ lol. .
1. The latest poster has stated he's able to manually open/close the top.
2. The release button under the rear seat releases the mechanical latches that keep the storage lid locked tight. It has nothing to do with the hydraulics. The hydraulic system only pressurizes when the car is on, and depressurizes after about 30 secs. That's why you have to wait to manipulate the top manually after the car was on.

I don't mean to be rude, just there's so much misinformation on the top that it needs to be corrected or we end up answering even more questions later on.