E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
hurffman

My Ride: 323CI
Rear Shock mount....Replace shocks?

I went to a shop today for my 2000 323ci with 106,000 miles on it. I asked about replacing a shock mount and he said the shocks should be replaced 2....is this true or is this guy tryin to get me. He didnt look at the car at all.
hurffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
3bananas

My Ride: 1998 328is
if he did not look at the car he's trying to get you

Old 10-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Autobot325i

My Ride: 2003 325i E46
Send a message via AIM to Autobot325i
if its 100+ miles and still on OEM I would say its shot too without looking. I dont think he trying to get you like that...10 years is a long time. if you wanted to replace shock mounts I would do the stuts too. thats just me.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
hurffman

My Ride: 323CI
If I do replace the rear should i do the fronts 2? I feel like this car is fallin apart lately n thinkin about getting rid of it....
hurffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Shocks are shot after about 70,000 miles. Yes do the fronts as well. This is an opportunity for a drop and better handling.
Buy Eibach ProKit springs and Koni sports shocks at TireRack. Borrow a spring compressor and use this DIY http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...hp?howto_id=12 to complete for under $1000.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
ModBargains.com
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 323ci / E92 335i
OEM shocks typically have a life span of 50-70k miles depending on how you drive. Seeing how your car is over 100k miles it may be a good idea to do an entire suspension over haul. One of the more popular setups have been the H&R Touring Cup kits are not merely a 'matched' spring and shock package, but rather a specially engineered 'solution' with springs and shocks being engineered individually in every application. This takes the guess work out of your spring and shock selection, and provides you with an application specific, precisely calibrated spring and shock set designed to deliver improved handling, uncompromised ride comfort and sleek styling in one precision engineered package. I'll shoot you over a PM with more details!

- Alan
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm / Sat 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates and discounts!
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
abduke232

My Ride: 99 328i (E46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
OEM shocks typically have a life span of 50-70k miles depending on how you drive. Seeing how your car is over 100k miles it may be a good idea to do an entire suspension over haul. One of the more popular setups have been the H&R Touring Cup kits are not merely a 'matched' spring and shock package, but rather a specially engineered 'solution' with springs and shocks being engineered individually in every application. This takes the guess work out of your spring and shock selection, and provides you with an application specific, precisely calibrated spring and shock set designed to deliver improved handling, uncompromised ride comfort and sleek styling in one precision engineered package. I'll shoot you over a PM with more details!

- Alan
Sorry to threadjack but can you please provide me with a list of parts needed for a suspension overhaul? I've replaced FCAB's, ball joints, and links and it stills handles like cr*p and rattles like crazy over bumps... I am looking to do tie rods next but I don't know how much that would help. Any suggestions/lists would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
abduke232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
If you are on OEM shocks at 106K, that is the reason it feels like it's falling apart! You need to replace all four. I would suggest that a suspension rebuild is in order? Ever replaced the control arms and bushings or the trailing arm bushings? Sway links? researh here and see if your problems are related to these items wearing out.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
xFalleNx330Ci

My Ride: '01 330Ci
Well I'd assume that at 100k if they're OEM that you should probably replace your shocks all the way around and your mounts. It'll be a substantially noticeable difference. I think it's kind of ridiculous for anyone to think at 100k someone is telling you to replace your shocks/mounts and to think that you probably don't need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingdevious View Post
OT is like a bunch of rabid horny monkeys that run around and rape other forums, any new monkeys, and then throw **** at eachother, take pics, and demand nudes.
xFalleNx330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
rudieg203

My Ride: BMW 325i
im at 140k and i dont think mine are shot.. yet i got the car at 123k so i have no idea if mines are needed to be replaced

M3 Chrome Reps.8000k HIDs.Smoked Ambers.
rudieg203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:46 AM   #11
xFalleNx330Ci

My Ride: '01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudieg203 View Post
im at 140k and i dont think mine are shot.. yet i got the car at 123k so i have no idea if mines are needed to be replaced
Chances are that at 140k if they're feeling really good still, they were probably replaced before you bought the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingdevious View Post
OT is like a bunch of rabid horny monkeys that run around and rape other forums, any new monkeys, and then throw **** at eachother, take pics, and demand nudes.
xFalleNx330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:44 AM   #12
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Other than "feel" and mileage-based assumptions, how can you tell if shocks are bad? I'm at 101k miles, on the worst roads possible, running eibach pro-kit springs and I still pass the MOT test which tests shock absorbers.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #13
SalM

My Ride: Shhh
Mod Bargains FTW! They hooked me up with a sick deal on Kw's!!!!

SalMPhotography
SalM is online now   Reply With Quote