E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Jackomahn

My Ride: 2004, 325i
Mirror, mirror why do you keep melting?

2004 325i. Before I got it home from the dealer 2 weeks ago the rear view mirror started changing color and then started leaking. I hear that is fairly common. The dealer said they would replace it and they have put 2 mirrors in and they have both turned into lava lamps. You would think the dealer could figure out what's wrong but they just want us to go away. They want to put in a manual mirror instead of the auto-dimming. What do I lose by letting them install the manual mirror? What all does the auto-dim mirror control?
Thanks
Jackomahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
dont let them put the manual mirror in. You bought a car with this feature from a dealer, tell them to figure this sh1t. Sounds like its a possible electrical issue. Whatever it comes down to, either let them keep replacing it for a new one, or have them figure out why its melting, but dont settle for the manual mirror.

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
dont settle for anything less than what you had in the car when you bought it!!! auto dim feature is actually really nice!

it dims the light reflection on the mirror coming from the headlights of the car behind you. so if you have an ******* behind running his high beams it wont effect you lol
anyways, its their responsibility to figure out whats wrong before something more serious happens to your electronics.
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Jackomahn

That's what I think also. They are using mirror's off of trade-in cars instead of a new one. It's a safety issue with me. I can't backup at night with the way it is. It's not the half clear half cloudy like most. It's all bubbles. Makes it hard to change lanes when I'm passing also.
thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackomahn View Post
That's what I think also. They are using mirror's off of trade-in cars instead of a new one. It's a safety issue with me. I can't backup at night with the way it is. It's not the half clear half cloudy like most. It's all bubbles. Makes it hard to change lanes when I'm passing also.
thanks
I NEVER rely on my mirrors. Always use my eyes when changing lanes. Your mirrors will lie to you. Every once in a while it WILL pay off.

As far as the dealer, I wouldnt settle for anything less than a brand new mirror. You may want to contact BMW NA about this. If this fluid were to leak out from the installation of a used mirror, it will damge wahtever it comes in contat with, like your center console. As kthem if they are also willing to pay for this damage as well due to a faulty mirror.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
Jackomahn

The bigger issue is why it has done this 3 times. The 1st time was within an hour of driving it off the lot. Has anyone else experienced this recurring issue? What's the solution? You would think that since it come from the people that sell these things they would know how to fix it the 1st time.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
Jaundiced Outlook

My Ride: has a tailgate
Not that you should have to pay for it, but there's an electronics company in Michigan that refurbs the auto-dim mirrors, Sybesma's Electronics. Do a search; I think it's less than $100. They supposedly put a better kind of "electrochromatic" goo in it. As OrientBlau mentioned, if the stock stuff leaks on your console, it will eat holes in it - like "Alien" blood.

I didn't care for the tinting of the auto-dim mirror, so I replaced mine with a manual unit off eBay. I don't mind having to occasionally twist the ol' clown nose at night. No worries about destroyed consoles, either.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
Jackomahn

I got caught "twisting the ol' clown nose" once but that's another story. I spoke with the Sybesma folks. Really nice. They won't have the parts in for another month. My eyes don't work so well so I don't usually dim the mirror anyway but I'd like to have what I had when I bought it. I don't know if the auto dim mirror also controls other functions. Rain, key fob, bluetooth..etc,..
Old 11-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
Hammer432

My Ride: 2001 330i 3 pedals
Bright lights in my rear view mirror used to always annoyed me, I think my eyes are sensitive to light. I love the auto dimming mirror, the light never bothers me now. I wouldn't have thought this was a big deal before but I think its a nice feature and wouldn't want to do without now.
Hammer432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
Jaundiced Outlook

My Ride: has a tailgate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackomahn View Post
I got caught "twisting the ol' clown nose" once but that's another story. I spoke with the Sybesma folks. Really nice. They won't have the parts in for another month. My eyes don't work so well so I don't usually dim the mirror anyway but I'd like to have what I had when I bought it. I don't know if the auto dim mirror also controls other functions. Rain, key fob, bluetooth..etc,..
I was laughing when I typed that!

There sure are a lot of different mirror configurations out there. Fortunately for me, I have an older E46 without a lot of gizmos, so it was easy to find a manual mirror to match. Key fob antenna seems to only be an issue for convertibles, i.e., you can use a convertible mirror in a non-convertible, but not vice-versa. My used mirror came out of convertible.

For figuring out compatibility of all the other mirror buttons and stuff, RealOEM to the rescue!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Jackomahn

Ok,.. I'll press for an auto-dim but settle for the manual if I have to and then get mine refurbed from Sybesma's Electronics. I just want to drive my dang car at night. I just went for a growler of nut brown and having the blurry lights behind me got real old real fast. I think my antenna is in the Sle-stack above my back glass. Both fobs work after changing the mirror. I would think they would need reprogramming if the mirror was the receiver.
thanks for all the input.

Last edited by Jackomahn; 11-02-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Jackomahn

Picked up from dealer yesterday with a new mirror. Auto-dim works great and my stomach is feeling much better about the whole experience. Although I think the dealer knew that there was more issues with the car. I'll be trashing their free front tag soon. thanks to all.

Last edited by Jackomahn; 11-12-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
Jackomahn

Here's a link to a video I did when I decided to send mine off to get refurbished. This is an obvious design flaw and should have been replaced by the manufacturer. This will be the 3rd replacement that I've done. Hopefully the last.

Last edited by Jackomahn; 03-15-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
lets hope its the last
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
My auto-dimmer mirror has leaked and it is now just a mirror mirror. No need for the dimmer; tinted rear window. I'll the the next owner deal with it.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #16
TopazBlu02

My Ride: 330CI
I'm not too fond of the auto-dimming. I can't see anything thru the rearview at night when there are cars behind me.
TopazBlu02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopazBlu02 View Post
I'm not too fond of the auto-dimming. I can't see anything thru the rearview at night when there are cars behind me.
since my car is lower than most cars on the road, headlights behind me (especially trucks) blind me, and thats even through 20% rear windshield tint.

i am happy i have a manual mirror... auto-dimming mirrors IMO don't get as dark as a manual mirror... maybe its just me but i feel like the manual is a lot darker than the auto when you "switch it"
Old 03-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #18
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
You can also put an E90 mirror in, which is newer and get Homelink and compass:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=694082
Old 03-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
So it took 3 failed mirrors and their best response is to put in a manual? It doesn't take a genius to break out a voltimeter and start hunting for the issue. If they can't do it bring it to a dealer that can. No reason it should be your loss.
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
Jackomahn

I'm sending it to Sybesma's Electronics. They have the "fix" that will end the problem that a lot of folks are having. I'll update with an install video. And yes,.. they could have and should have been able to fix the issue but they didn't and that sucks.

Last edited by Jackomahn; 03-15-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Tags
leaking, mirror, rear view mirror