E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Installing Bilstein Sport Struts this weekend: One question...

I've got a question first, is the lower part of the front strut supposed to stick out past the bottom of the hub? Or does it stop and line up flush with the bottom of where it slides into? I've seen debate in the past but wanted to do this correctly. If anyone knows for sure, let me know.

Oh and can someone explain the L and R marks on the strut? I know it means to line up the L or R depending on which side you're installing... but if the struts are different for L and R anyway, why would each strut have a need for L and R markings? Right strut can only go on the right and therefore should have only ONE mark saying line up pinch bolt HERE. Am I understanding this wrong?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 11-11-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
323iINt.o

My Ride: 328i
The strut has a notch in the bottom of it. Slide it up as far as possible.

NEED SMOKED CORNERS AND MARKERS, PM ME IF YOU GOT SOME!
323iINt.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
WARNING IF YOU HAVE HID's

Unbolt the level sensor connector on the front lower control arm on the passenger side when you drop that strut. If you don't there is a high probability that your strut replacement will cost an additional $100. Don't ask me how I know.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Another BM

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumcranium View Post
warning if you have hid's

unbolt the level sensor connector on the front lower control arm on the passenger side when you drop that strut. If you don't there is a high probability that your strut replacement will cost an additional $100. Don't ask me how i know.
+1

lol
Old 11-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
They sit pretty much flush, because of the way they're designed. +1 as to leveling sensor.

Don't think too much into the L&R on the stuts once you start putting them on, it'll be qutie obvious as to how they go!
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejeunebimmer View Post
They sit pretty much flush, because of the way they're designed. +1 as to leveling sensor.

Don't think too much into the L&R on the stuts once you start putting them on, it'll be qutie obvious as to how they go!
They may have changed designs but mine definitely sat about 2" below the hub mounting. If there is a smaller diameter near the bottom that's how it works, if not and it's all one diameter then they just go in almost to the bottom.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
So, I need new struts...ordered Bilstein touring...and just finished reading some posts about them lifting the front up too high...so wondering if I have a choice of some slightly shorter struts. Is the HD lower...think there's a Bilstein Sport too.

Finally, Mango, how you liking your struts? I had Sachs...blew after 3 years. tsk!

Anyway, getting to this soon (love the Meyle HD CABs btw...go nicely with Lem CAs!).

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
college46

My Ride: Alpine White
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
So, I need new struts...ordered Bilstein touring...and just finished reading some posts about them lifting the front up too high...so wondering if I have a choice of some slightly shorter struts. Is the HD lower...think there's a Bilstein Sport too.

Finally, Mango, how you liking your struts? I had Sachs...blew after 3 years. tsk!

Anyway, getting to this soon (love the Meyle HD CABs btw...go nicely with Lem CAs!).
Bilstein HD's and Sports have the exact same valve length. And Touring has longer valve length than Hd's. Hd's are optimized for stock ride height and sports are for aftermarket springs. I had "Comforts" on a previous car and they are closest to non sport oem sachs.

Last edited by college46; 02-18-2013 at 03:43 PM.
college46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Thanks, College!

Are these 'comforts' you speak of a fourth Bilstein model, or is that another term for 'touring'?

I'll get them tomorrow I think...guess I'll find out what I got then!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I love my sports. ride is extremely planted and secure under any condition. Gotta love monotube high pressure Bilsteins

From tire rack:

For the enthusiast driver who demands superior handling, the Bilstein Sport shocks and struts deliver the highest levels of control. An excellent match for vehicles with lowering springs or upgraded anti-roll bars, the Sport Series shocks and struts perform under demanding conditions.

The Bilstein Principle

All Bilstein gas pressure struts/inserts and gas pressure shock absorbers operate on the same principle. They are manufactured with the rod pointing down into the strut tube, thereby utilizing the thicker, stouter body portion of the shock absorber to dissipate side loads. Consequently, due to the increased diameter and surface of the pressure tube, the Bilstein gas pressure strut/insert or shock is better suited to take increased side loads when compared with the conventional version.

Additional advantages, based on development strongly influenced by the motorsport industry, include greater stability, better road handling, and accurate steering. This combined with extremely high quality manufacturing and materials, means Bilsteins will last approximately four times as long as Original Equipment.

Battling Heat Build Up

Conventional shocks trap the heat within the shock body and prevent adequate dissipation, making them prone to heat build up, fade and eventual failure.

Bilstein's patented design allows the excessive heat from the oil to transfer to the outer surface of the shock body and dissipate more efficiently. The dividing piston also permits the oil to expand as heat builds, preventing aeration (foaming) and viscosity loss. This allows the shock to maintain full damping characteristics as temperatures rise.

The tube of a Bilstein gas pressure shock or strut is fabricated using a special extrusion method. This process achieves an extremely tight peak-to-valley tolerance and maintains consistent wall thickness. Bilstein's seamless monotube design provides superior tube strength while maximizing heat dissipation and shock life.

Ride Comfort and Performance Without Compromise

The piston head design allows independent tuning of the compression and rebound damping forces to provide optimum ride comfort and performance without compromise. It features fewer parts than most conventional designs. The product's simple, yet exceptionally functional digressive design contributes to the extreme durability and long life of Bilstein Shock Absorbers.

Better Built

Bilstein's shock bodies are precision formed through a unique seamless extrusion process. This provides superior strength along with high finish tolerances. The shock body is then treated with a special paint finish durable enough to withstand grueling 240-hour salt spray tests. The finished body is mated with a solid, induction-hardened steel chrome plated and polished shaft, machined valving components and highest quality seals.

Bilstein products are backed by an aftermarket lifetime warranty.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
My bilstein touring struts do protrude below the bottom of the knuckle.

I had to use a jack under the control arm, and sprayed a bit of lube. (Loctite silicone spray) on the bottom of the strut...jacked it up and it sunk right in.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Bimmer App

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #12
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
^This. I didn't do this and one side of the car sat up higher than the other side .

It's fine now and the height isn't that much different than the OEM suspension, though it doesn't bother me anyway.