E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
IBM

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325xi
Supercharger/Turbo kits?

I've been searching the web and a few forum sites but can not find the answer I'm looking for. Is there any company that sells a turbo/supercharger kit for a 2004 325xi? Most of things things I've seen discussed or on websites have been for the ci ... etc etc. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by IBM; 11-15-2010 at 09:58 AM.
IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
kawracerx

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Aa makes a supercharger kit for the xi at 8psi I believe, don't quote me but think you gain 75hp.and offer automatic trans tune to help hold the power better by increasing fluid pressure and other small things.no turbo kits unless you fab up yourself and will cost lots and lots of money, and not worth it for xi because it can only handle so much power due to transfer case.hope that helped,i want the supercharger for myself but just expensive.

Sent from my MB501 using BimmerApp
kawracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
The transfer case will be fine. It's a constant meshed planetary gear system, I'm sure it can handle the load from a supercharger. The rumored (or whatever) spec limit on the transfer case is very close to the output of the 3.0L 330xi engine which seems like a dumb move on BMW's part, you don't make a part that walks that close to the line for failure hence why I don't think it's true.

I would be more concerned with the transmission, clutch, differential, brakes, suspension, tires, cooling, belts, and all that stuff before the transfer case...

Lastly, don't waste your money on supercharging your 325xi IMO. If you want power, sell it and get an M3. It's designed for that power from the get go and you don't have to mess around with changing/maintaining it.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
theviking

My Ride: 330XI R1200C
my friendly BMW Dealer Parts Guy, told me that he heard the S/C's don't work good in the winter. I don't know if it's true for all S/C kits or just some though... (I had a supercharged big block a few years ago, and it ran fine in the winter)
Old 11-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
I dunno why it wouldn't run well in the winter... I know turbos don't run so well in the winter when they are still cold, but they're ok when they come up to temp. maybe the same when it comes to superchargers?
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by theviking View Post
my friendly BMW Dealer Parts Guy, told me that he heard the S/C's don't work good in the winter. I don't know if it's true for all S/C kits or just some though... (I had a supercharged big block a few years ago, and it ran fine in the winter)
I have ehard from numerous persons that they so not work wel in cold enviornments either...fluid circulation problems....
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
himefrankie

My Ride: 03 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
class of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
2011 Pre admission cantidate

--
himefrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
It's the front diff/axles you should be worried about with the F/I. Dumping the clutch from 4.5k (slipping it a little to keep the revs up) will destroy your front drive train. You will need an upgraded clutch to be able to slip it off the launches so you don't bog. That is how my xi ended up RWD. I ruined my front diff and got sick of tearing the front end out of the car to fix stuff. The T case will be fine, the front/rear half shafts will be fine. But that front diff being up against the block gets way too hot. Going F/I is one thing, driving the car the way it should be driven without breaking stuff is another. GL with whatever you decide to do.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
egk2

My Ride: is Alpine Weiss...
Quote:
Hey that's me...what's up Gunnar? Anyway, had a buddy with a FI'd lexus and another with a FI'd E36 M3, both running vortechs. Both were warned about running in cold weather and Vortech even has listed in their limited warranty as one of the requirements as to not void the warranty, Subjecting any Vortech supercharger to a "cold start-up" condition (below 25° F) without the
use of an engine block heater/aftermarket engine blanket

Centrifugal blowers need to be heated up so the blower gets properly lubed up otherwise it will/can freeze. There are other blowers that have their own oil supply in which cold weather probably won't be such an issue.(roots style)

I wouldn't personally even bother with going FI in an iX.

Last edited by egk2; 12-05-2010 at 12:06 PM.
egk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
theviking

Hi Ed,

I can't believe you spelled it iX, but I will have to forgive you, since you hook me up all the time when it comes to parts...

(FYI Fanatics; Ed is a customer oriented parts guy, the kind that makes me call the dealership first, when I need parts! If you are not too far from Grand Blanc Motorcars in MI, def. give him a call if you need OEM parts...)

Anyway, I'm still tempted to get the OEM cam kit. Looks like the general consensus is that the supercharger has too many potential issues, for a winter driven AWD car.

(Or maybe I need to figure out how to not spend all my money on sailing, so I can get a Lotus for the summerfun... )

/

Quote:
Originally Posted by egk2 View Post
Hey that's me...what's up Gunnar? Anyway, had a buddy with a FI'd lexus and another with a FI'd E36 M3, both running vortechs. Both were warned about running in cold weather and Vortech even has listed in their limited warranty as one of the requirements as to not void the warranty, Subjecting any Vortech supercharger to a “cold start-up” condition (below 25° F) without the
use of an engine block heater/aftermarket engine blanket

Centrifugal blowers need to be heated up so the blower gets properly lubed up otherwise it will/can freeze. There are other blowers that have their own oil supply in which cold weather probably won't be such an issue.(roots style)

I wouldn't personally even bother with going FI in an iX.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
egk2

My Ride: is Alpine Weiss...
Quote:
Hi Ed,

I can't believe you spelled it iX, but I will have to forgive you, since you hook me up all the time when it comes to parts...

(FYI Fanatics; Ed is a customer oriented parts guy, the kind that makes me call the dealership first, when I need parts! If you are not too far from Grand Blanc Motorcars in MI, def. give him a call if you need OEM parts...)

Anyway, I'm still tempted to get the OEM cam kit. Looks like the general consensus is that the supercharger has too many potential issues, for a winter driven AWD car.

(Or maybe I need to figure out how to not spend all my money on sailing, so I can get a Lotus for the summerfun... )

/

sorry bout the iX thing, comes from my e30 days...let me know if you need anything...
Old 11-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
class of...

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
class of...
2011 Pre admission cantidate
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
theviking

hey; I'm just commenting on anything halfway interesting, to get my thread count up, so I can be as awesome as ........ my car!

but, you're right! S/C's have been covered, this post got me interested, and I just searched a bit...

Quote:
class of...
Old 11-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
SILVRRONIN

do not go supercharger on and Xi! the car is not designed to handle that kind of Hp or torque! especially the transmission...the planetary gears wil strip, the differtential will strip. The entire drivetrain is NOT designed to handle that kind of power. I have a close freind here in NOLA, this gentleman is aged beyond me( i am 38) and has been racing since he was 18. He is from Bavaria...has owned a repair shop here for 20+ yrs, -is german and is a plethura of information! He also was a Formula One mechanic for quite sometime, started racing in Germany when he was 18, worked in a high performance auto shop in Miami during the 1980-(near thunder alley) This guy knows BMW, Audi, VW and Mercedes,Porsche like no other!!!!!. I asked him about a Super Chrger for my Xi and he looked at me with the most sarcastic respnses I ever heard! LOL.." zee xi is for AWD! not vor 2wd..racing!!!!"
Old 12-05-2010, 02:24 AM   #16
eddiewolfgang

My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN View Post
do not go supercharger on and Xi! the car is not designed to handle that kind of Hp or torque! especially the transmission...the planetary gears wil strip, the differtential will strip. The entire drivetrain is NOT designed to handle that kind of power. I have a close freind here in NOLA, this gentleman is aged beyond me( i am 38) and has been racing since he was 18. He is from Bavaria...has owned a repair shop here for 20+ yrs, -is german and is a plethura of information! He also was a Formula One mechanic for quite sometime, started racing in Germany when he was 18, worked in a high performance auto shop in Miami during the 1980-(near thunder alley) This guy knows BMW, Audi, VW and Mercedes,Porsche like no other!!!!!. I asked him about a Super Chrger for my Xi and he looked at me with the most sarcastic respnses I ever heard! LOL.." zee xi is for AWD! not vor 2wd..racing!!!!"
lol cool story bro. wow i actually took the time to read the whole story.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #17
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Quote:
no.

I ran a 9 psi supercharger with water meth on my xi, did not like it, however car had no issues handling the power. I would recommend some headers with sport cats as a nice power mod.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #18
SILVRRONIN

He then went on a verbal tangient with me for twenty minutes as to why the automobile needs a proper foundation of equiptment-sensitivity-that is prepared to handle the HP...and he made alot of sense. he said " all dezz kids-ripping out exhausts-bigger vheeeels-intakes!" thats why they have zsssoooooooo many problems! bigger vheeels cause ball joint problems,control arm problems,bushings wear out faster!!! 22" rims on a car designed for 16' or 17'' rims! not omly do sheyy loook stupid... the transmissions vill vhere away! You strip the gears, the larger the diameter the more power it takes to rotate the rim around!!! you wil eventually tear apart the CV joints...everything ruined....the improper balancing, steering units will fail! control arms will need be replaced too, alignments,........ intakes will in time sandblast the MAFS and you wil buy a new one for $300+!!! you can upgrade but not contradict the engineering design of the automobile! Now you say a supercharger???? imagine what the transmission wil look like after 5000 miles with the constant reving of rpms for a car that comes stock to handle 185 HP! He went on and i listened...he was 100% right. Want to have HP? purchase a car that is desined to handle and deliver it...a M3! or purchase the proper equiptment to do it!!! lotsa $$$$$.
If you want to play...... you GOTTA PAY!
Old 12-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #19
xi_ter

Quote:
He then went on a verbal tangient with me for twenty minutes as to why the automobile needs a proper foundation of equiptment-sensitivity-that is prepared to handle the HP...and he made alot of sense. he said " all dezz kids-ripping out exhausts-bigger vheeeels-intakes!" thats why they have zsssoooooooo many problems! bigger vheeels cause ball joint problems,control arm problems,bushings wear out faster!!! 22" rims on a car designed for 16' or 17'' rims! not omly do sheyy loook stupid... the transmissions vill vhere away! You strip the gears, the larger the diameter the more power it takes to rotate the rim around!!! you wil eventually tear apart the CV joints...everything ruined....the improper balancing, steering units will fail! control arms will need be replaced too, alignments,........ intakes will in time sandblast the MAFS and you wil buy a new one for $300+!!! you can upgrade but not contradict the engineering design of the automobile! Now you say a supercharger???? imagine what the transmission wil look like after 5000 miles with the constant reving of rpms for a car that comes stock to handle 185 HP! He went on and i listened...he was 100% right. Want to have HP? purchase a car that is desined to handle and deliver it...a M3! or purchase the proper equiptment to do it!!! lotsa $$$$$.
This is an informative rant. Interesting comment about the CV joints.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #20
Kittepunch

Quote:
I definitely want to meet this man.
Kittepunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xi turbo