E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
ixtoxi

My Ride: 02 330xi, 88 325iX
Can't get front axle back into differential

Hey fellow iXers. I had a bad front right axle and have removed the old one and am in the process of installing the new one. I am having trouble getting the new front passenger side axle to seat into the differential. The splined shaft with new circlip gets about 3/4 inch from where it needs to be, but I can't get it to snap into place. I installed a new radial seal and everything is clean, but it still will not go. Any hints? Seems to be binding up on the outboard bearing.
ixtoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
I read somwhere that the gap in the circlip should be at 12 o'clock when you insert the new axle. BTW-what brand is the axle?

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
look at my past posts..! I went through this s*** this past august when I redid mine! except one of mine got jammed into the gearbox and then WOULD NOT COME OUT!. USE THE OLD CIRCLIP FROM THE OLD STOCK BMW AXLE!...and make sure it is in the twelve oclock position..RICKNA is correct. And DONT POUND IT IN!...gently tab and havesomeone watch to see if it moves into the gearbox...you dont want to knock a gear outta place in the transfercase gearbox. Lemme know how it goes..been there done that!
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN View Post
look at my past posts..! I went through this s*** this past august when I redid mine! except one of mine got jammed into the gearbox and then WOULD NOT COME OUT!. USE THE OLD CIRCLIP FROM THE OLD STOCK BMW AXLE!...and make sure it is in the twelve oclock position..RICKNA is correct. And DONT POUND IT IN!...gently tab and havesomeone watch to see if it moves into the gearbox...you dont want to knock a gear outta place in the transfercase gearbox. Lemme know how it goes..been there done that!
Good point-I forgot that...

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
I've never done this job, but will in the next month.

However to the OP, I'd imagine the shaft has splines on it that fit into the receiving end inside the gearbox. Have you tried rotating the shaft slightly so as to line up the splines for mating into the box then putting pressure on it?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
MiniXP

My Ride: 01 325xi
Make sure that the part going into the differential is lined up right. I spent forever trying to get mine to go back in and I ended up just having to reach in to lift up the part close to the differential then push to make it snap in.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
athayer187

My Ride: 2004 330xi
The trick I use is to get the splines seated (confirm by twisting the axle and making sure the wheels turn). Once they're seated, put the outboard splines into the hub, and use the motion of seating the strut to push teh circlip back in. There isn't any surface that you'll want to use tools to pound it in, so I found this to work well.

1988 535is - EAT chip, style 5 wheels for track, style 29 wheels for street, urethane UCAB's,
urethane trans mounts, 500/450 IE Coilovers, UUC SSK, Mason Engineering strut bars,
Hella H1/H4 headlights, Schroth Rallye 3's, Dinan 25/19 swaybars, 750i brakes
2004 330xi - stock except for UUC SSK, RE RSM's, Koni Yellows, UUC TSE1
athayer187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
ixtoxi

OK you guys. This was not a case of just lining things up and sliding the axle in until the circlip engaged. I went through 3 cycles of partially installing and then removing the new axle before I got it to seat. It seems that the main resistance was the outboard bearing in the extension of the differential on the passenger's side. There is no way that you (I) can (could) easily push the axle in and have it just click into place, and I don't consider myself a weakling. The outboard bearing fits VERY snugly onto the axle shaft. This took quite a bit of "coaxing" to get it to its fullest insertion point. I have done a LOT of DIY work on e30s and e46s, including full rebuilds of the front end, and this one was the most psychologically taxing. I even tried the old axle, and it bound up the same way the new one did. After quite a bit of teeth gnashing and physical encouragement, it has found its way home. Glad to FINALLY be done with this beotch! Thanks to all who posted tips.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
gurov

My Ride: 2004 325XI Turbo
Send a message via AIM to gurov Send a message via MSN to gurov
yes, this was one of the more challenging parts of the axle swap. yelling and throwing **** ensued.
2004 SE-R SpecV turbo - megasquirt3 j&s ultrasafeguard - SOLD
gurov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
dephantn

My Ride: 740iL-325xi
Get service manual before DIY, very worthy for $65. ( even $35 if you buy PDF file ).
I bought 5 for 5 cars, never regret, save ton of $$$ & time.
dephantn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #11
ixtoxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dephantn View Post
Get service manual before DIY, very worthy for $65. ( even $35 if you buy PDF file ).
I bought 5 for 5 cars, never regret, save ton of $$$ & time.
I have the service manual.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
bikesandcars

My Ride: 2002 325xi-sport pkg
I'm bringing back this old post because I just had the same issue.

The spring clip on the replacement axle was noticably larger than the OE. I swapped them out

I completed the job with a sledge-hammer... not joking. I screwed the axle nut onto the axle then tapped the end gently with an 8lb sledge palmed in my hand. I made sure the axle was supported and straight before tapping. You need the inertia from a sledge to move the heavy axle into position, you dont want to hit the axle hard enough ruin something. A small hammer would likely ruin the axle end without seating the axle. Just my $.02
bikesandcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
There are notches on the side of the housing that the three lobed bearing ride in on the axle shaft. You can place the blade of a large screw driver or dull flat chisel on these notches and tap the axle into place. Tap tap done
Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
mcopenha

My Ride: '01 325xi, '73 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xittt View Post
There are notches on the side of the housing that the three lobed bearing ride in on the axle shaft. You can place the blade of a large screw driver or dull flat chisel on these notches and tap the axle into place. Tap tap done
I also used this method without any issues. The GKN axles had the notches. A previous brand I used (cardone?) did not.

The more difficult task I found was getting the other end of the axle into the steering knuckle. For that I used a large, square piece of wood on the knuckle and a large sledge hammer. Once I could thread on the axle nut a bit, air gun handled the rest.

Last edited by mcopenha; 11-06-2012 at 10:29 AM.
mcopenha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #15
bikesandcars

My Ride: 2002 325xi-sport pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcopenha View Post
I also used this method without any issues. The GKN axles had the notches. A previous brand I used (cardone?) did not.

The more difficult task I found was getting the other end of the axle into the steering knuckle. For that I used a large, square piece of wood on the knuckle and a large sledge hammer. Once I could thread on the axle nut a bit, air gun handled the rest.
good pointers on axle tap... not sure why (besides not having many hands) I decided to take the axle out by using the notches, but put the axle in using the sledge... it just seemed easier at the time to line up the axle by palming the CV and tap on the tip of the axle palming the sledge (that way I didn't have to hold a screwdriver in addition to an axle).

I experienced same thing with "homing" the outer stub-axle in the upright. I used anti-sieze on the splines and a dead-blow hammer on the upright to get enough bite on the nut. then finished with an impact and final hand torque

Bonus tip: Don't forget to inspect the new / replacement CV sealing surfaces on the inner joints, and don't forget to grease those seals (old or new) before inserting the axle. Suggest new seals of course.

Last edited by bikesandcars; 11-13-2012 at 07:37 AM.
bikesandcars is offline   Reply With Quote