E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Headers with cats found!

Just a heads up to the folks here, looks like Magnaflow does indeed have headers with cats in them. Cost about $1500 together from Jegs:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/49758/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/49759/10002/-1

They look like they'd flow better than OE, and they're listed as 49-state legal, though I'm guessing they don't flow as well as most of the others, nor weigh as little as the others.

Pictures here:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...irectfit=49758

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...irectfit=49759
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Crap, the first price I saw was the suggested MSRP on the Magnaflow web site. At almost $4k I almost fell in the floor. At least the JEGS pricing of $1500 isn't so ridiculous.

So are you going to be the first to pony up the money to install, dyno test, and post sounds clips of them? Would love to see if they post any gains versus stock. With over 112k on my stock cats, it would be nice to know if there was a decent non-stock replacement option.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
murph1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
So are you going to be the first to pony up the money to install, dyno test, and post sounds clips of them? Would love to see if they post any gains versus stock. With over 112k on my stock cats, it would be nice to know if there was a decent non-stock replacement option.
Heh, not likely.

The SCCA is figuring out where they're going with cat rules in 2012 right now, so I'll hold out on anything until that's sorted, but $1500 + labor for 10ish(?) hp still puts this mod a bit lower on the priority list. (and the budget is pretty well blown for this year, with the new ZHP and a few other new bits)

I know someone has a contact at Magnaflow on the site, was that Aggie? Before installing these, I'd love to know if they did any testing and saw any performance gain, as well as how much they weigh.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
I think you'd gain more performance from regular catless headers with cats welded in to the midsection, plus it'd be a lot cheaper...

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
TxZHP04

I think murph is trying to satisfy class rules. As for me, I could make more power with headers and no cats but that's not the point. Moving the cats downstream means having to deal with buying and wiring up an LC-1 as O2 sims and defoulers aren't reliable solutions to passing emissions (which some of us actually have to do) (I'm also not sure if the LC-1 has been tried with an MS45.1 yet). Keeping the cats up in a stock-ish location also means you don't have to bastardize an exhaust to retrofit the cats. As for cheaper, I can get stock replacements for about $1300 which is also cheaper than the Magnaflow through JEGS. If the Magnaflow units flow better than stock, I'd consider them worth their slightly higher price. If they flow the same or worse, I'd just stick with stock.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 02-15-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 AM   #6
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Keeping the cats up in a stock-ish location also means you don't have to bastardize an exhaust to retrofit the cats.
The 3rd and 4th catalytic converter on my car are located in the mid-section, so it's kinda OEM for you if you put the cats there. Should also fit just fine. However the post-cat sensors are as we know after 1st/2nd converter.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
The 3rd and 4th catalytic converter on my car are located in the mid-section, so it's kinda OEM for you if you put the cats there. Should also fit just fine. However the post-cat sensors are as we know after 1st/2nd converter.
In some parts of the world, yes. In the US we don't have 4 cats. Stock exhausts here have a resonator in that location as do most all aftermarket exhausts... hence my comment about having to hack up a perfectly good exhaust to replace resonators with cats. This is really just an annoyance, the bigger issue is that the DME's emissions logic doesn't like it when you move the cats so far downstream hence the need to spoof it with the LC-1.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Interesting find.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
aggieE46
Keep it clean

I emailed my Magnaflow guy for his best price on these.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
murph1379

Thanks Aggie, can you see if he has any details like performance increase or weight?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
aggieE46
Keep it clean

He's going to see what he can do on the price, but he said they were a great product. He'd probably cut someone a small break on a set if they would test them out and get some good dyno numbers.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
He's going to see what he can do on the price, but he said they were a great product. He'd probably cut someone a small break on a set if they would test them out and get some good dyno numbers.
Be sure to mention that they are currently a good bit more expensive than OE replacements from the dealership. Faulkner BMW has them listed at $640.51 per bank. If performance is the same as stock, the only thing the Magnaflow has to offer is a better price. Now if they were to flow better than stock....
Old 02-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #13
aggieE46
Keep it clean

He DID refer to them as an emissions legal header.

What would YOU pay for them?

Quote:
Be sure to mention that they are currently a good bit more expensive than OE replacements from the dealership. Faulkner BMW has them listed at $640.51 per bank. If performance is the same as stock, the only thing the Magnaflow has to offer is a better price. Now if they were to flow better than stock....
Old 02-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
these are worthless I feel. Although I could be wrong.

Quote:
Each is designed to exact the original equipment specifications
Old 02-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #15
TxZHP04

Yeah, for an emissions legal offering I wouldn't really expect much in the way of improved performance but you never know. With that in mind, the only thing that would make the Magnaflow competitive in the market place would be a price below dealership pricing. I wouldn't pay more for an aftermarket part than I would for a genuine BMW part unless that part offered something the stock part doesn't (lighter weight, improved flow, etc). $1281 for a set would appear to be the price to beat.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
aggieE46
Keep it clean

I'll pass that on.

Quote:
Yeah, for an emissions legal offering I wouldn't really expect much in the way of improved performance but you never know. With that in mind, the only thing that would make the Magnaflow competitive in the market place would be a price below dealership pricing. I wouldn't pay more for an aftermarket part than I would for a genuine BMW part unless that part offered something the stock part doesn't (lighter weight, improved flow, etc). $1281 for a set would appear to be the price to beat.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #17
murph1379

Agreed, I think the key is the flow, and the OE header isn't exactly a tough act to beat. Magnaflow's EPA-certified cats usually do flow better than OE, so I'm sure this unit does flow better than stock, but the big question is how much better. For $1500 I want something that's only giving up a few hp relative to a supersprint or something similar. The price difference between this and no-cat headers + race cats in the exhaust is like $1,000. If what you're paying $1,000 for is emissions peace of mind, with "close enough" performance, I think that's probably just fine. If you're paying an extra $1,000 *and* giving up most of the performance of aftermarket headers, just to be emissions-legal, I don't think they'll sell well, when OE can be had cheaper.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #18
aggieE46
Keep it clean

John said that these will definitely offer an improvement over stock. No question asked.

He said he can do a price for the forum for $1060, I think that's with free shipping.

This is the same guy that did the Magnaflow GB for the exhaust. PM me if you want his info.

Brady
Old 02-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
TxZHP04

Found this article from the truck world. Wish they could provide similar flow metrics for our application but this does seem to suggest that the Magnaflow units could flow a little better than stock.

http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...ers/index.html
Old 02-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #20
JB_ZHP

My Ride: 05' ZHP Dinan 3
This is a great find and appears to be great product development on Magnaflow's part. I am interested to see what the actual gains are. I do feel they will not lower their price to where these are a practical application for the average person modding their BMW.

It will not take much to improve the flow over oem headers, if they can do that and pass inspection....they might have something! Running headers myself I enjoy the power gains but HATE the rasp they produce. I am anxious for someone to do some testing on these and post some sound clips!!