E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Public range (horror) stories

So a friend and I went to a local indoor range. Wanted to take a few handguns out to get in some practice. We stroll in, and it was honestly one of the worst shooting experiences I've ever had.

-Gun display jockey (50 yr old) is hovering over the handgun case explaining what an awesome shot he is. He's blathering about how worthless polymer guns are and why I should only shoot Sigs and 1911's. I ask for a M&P with manual safety, he saunters up and tells me how shitty the gun is. I ignore his presence completely, thank the employee and walk away. This same moron starts making analogies about Escalades and M3's when looking at hunting rifles and sniper rifles
-Once we hit the range downstairs, there are these 2 mexican gang-banger looking kids. They're rapid firing like crazy with a Taurus and Bersa. I was about to just pack up and leave, but they finish their ammo and pack up.
-Other stall next to me is a dude & his gf - they've got their target at 5 yards and it's so low to the ground I can see his gf skipping rounds off the ground.
-Range was poorly ventilated, i ended up blowing up black snot
-Range was holding a class next to us too. This guy has 3 students learning about shooting pistols. For some reason, he has them shooting buckshot down the range in their stall....stupid. Said retard's 3 students have ZERO inkling as to the proper grip/stance/technique to shooting a handgun. He continues screaming range commands to which these guys don't even understand! They're looking around, confused, and he continues screaming the same term over and over again. I can't take this - quickly finish up my last few rounds and gtfo.

What kind of range stories have you guys had? I'm seriously contemplating joining a private range because of this.

Last edited by Rush4theYehO; 02-21-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
There are always idiots. My ranges are usually empty or close to it, but I don't do weekends.

Of course, we have the fame of having psychos killing each other and themselves in our ranges too.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Rush4theYehO

I actually went to the outdoor range twice at Cherry Creek in Denver. A few months back twin sisters had a suicide pact, and killed themselves there. Crazy.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
M&P'S RULE!

I lived in Tallahassee Fl and we had a free public access forestry range in the apalachicola national forest. No range officer on premises.

50yd pistol 100yd rifle with a concrete divider about 9-10ft tall between.

When I get there I try to take control and for the most part all is okay.

I pull up to the range, get out and while I'm unpacking my stuff in the parking lot I hear a few shots pause then a shot followed by a scream. I run up to the range and his buddy shot him in the foot with a xd45 while clearing a jam(they were the only ones there and out on the range & not behind the firing line). His buddy and I helped him to the car and I wrapped a turnicuit around his leg, gave his buddy my business card and they were off. About 3 days later the guy comes into my work on crutches and was doing very well. His buddy was new to shooting and turned the gun towards his buddy to check the chamber and shot him in the foot. It was also a gold dot hp .45(he was about a cm each way from losing his foot).

Call range cold communicate to the pistol side while checking target gang banger types show up and start popping shots on the pistol side. I hit the deck(other people inform them to stop) I walk back and very aggressively give them a piece of my mine while holding my shotgun. I tell them to get the fu** out of here and start dialing FWC(wildlife officers). This same situation happened a couple other times but they were very apologetic and not nearly as confrontational.

Old guy next to me told another guy not to touch his gun again while he was down range. The guy said something like shutup its not loaded to which he replied by unholstering his pistol and touching it to the guy's nose and asking "Is it loaded?". Cops got involved but it kind of worked its way out somehow without arrest(they both apologized).

bunch of slide bites, exploded .223 after double charge(reloading), black/bloody eyes from scopes and ricochets.

Last edited by MrWesson; 02-21-2011 at 09:34 PM.
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
I'm always amused by the indoor pistol snobs who pack up and leave because the range is too noisy.

Ok, so the guy 10 stalls down is mag dumping a Saiga. Who cares? If you can't shoot under a little stress then don't bother shooting at all. It's not like the bad guys are going to hush up and wait for you to settle into your isosceles stance before making their move.

Last month I experienced this snobbery first hand when I stopped by the indoor range to dial in the T-1 I have mounted on my 12ga. I fired two slugs and this pistol shooter starts mean mugging me. He makes some comment to his buddy and they leave. WTF.. we were the only 3 people in the range and I was waaaay down the line from them. I only put in like 15 mins of shooting that day. Got my work done and left.

Why U so mad pistol shooters? Can’t we all just get along??

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreiŖig
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post
I'm always amused by the indoor pistol snobs who pack up and leave because the range is too noisy.

Ok, so the guy 10 stalls down is mag dumping a Saiga. Who cares? If you can't shoot under a little stress then don't bother shooting at all. It's not like the bad guys are going to hush up and wait for you to settle into your isosceles stance before making their move.

Last month I experienced this snobbery first hand when I stopped by the indoor range to dial in the T-1 I have mounted on my 12ga. I fired two slugs and this pistol shooter starts mean mugging me. He makes some comment to his buddy and they leave. WTF.. we were the only 3 people in the range and I was waaaay down the line from them. I only put in like 15 mins of shooting that day. Got my work done and left.

Why U so mad pistol shooters? Canít we all just get along??
I agree with you about the stress thing, but honestly, some people go to the range to de-stress. I've been in an indoor range with shotguns going off; its extremely concussive for those next to you. In fact, they feel the concussion more than the actual shooter. When I go to an indoor range, I generally don't expect shotguns or high-powered rifles to be shooting there, though there's nothing preventing them from doing so at my ranges.

I have different moods when I go to the range. The first is strictly for training, to better myself at at these times, I welcome distractions like the shotgun. But sometimes I just go to the range to put some lead downrange and to loosen up and de-stress. At these times, I won't stick around if there are levels of noise or obnoxiousness that are beyond normal. I just don't need it and its no longer pleasurable. Also, if I go shooting my shotgun or my AR, I go to an outdoor range; its not particularly pleasurable for me to shoot either one of those indoors either.

Horror stories like this haven't really happened to me. If I see something foolish or dangerous going on, I leave. Its not worth it. Also, I normally don't hit up indoor ranges when I can avoid them; I don't really like the thought of breathing in all that stuff. That's why I pay to be a member of my member's only outdoor range. Its a great facility, empty for most of the time, and everybody who wants to shoot has to qualify and demonstrate proficient use of firearms and knowledge of firearm safety. Safety rules are strictly enforced, but as a consequence, its safe and they let you do almost anything on the range (rapid fire, full auto, etc.).

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
MrWesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post

Why U so mad pistol shooters? Canít we all just get along??
If its too loud your too old. And I have pistols louder than a 12GA.

I like shooting my M38(short barreled Mosin Nagant) or short barreled saiga .308 at a local indoor range(the fireballs are quite a sight).

At my old range(outdoor unsupervised) 7 guys often show up with 1 gun and 1 set of earplugs(usually thug types). If they start to annoy me or act unsafe I would break out the M38 and send 6 of them to the parking lot.

I personally hate at an empty outdoor range some guy always picks the lane next to you and sprays you with AR/AK brass.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
If its too loud your too old. And I have pistols louder than a 12GA.

I like shooting my M38(short barreled Mosin Nagant) or short barreled saiga .308 at a local indoor range(the fireballs are quite a sight).

At my old range(outdoor unsupervised) 7 guys often show up with 1 gun and 1 set of earplugs(usually thug types). If they start to annoy me or act unsafe I would break out the M38 and send 6 of them to the parking lot.

I personally hate at an empty outdoor range some guy always picks the lane next to you and sprays you with AR/AK brass.
mosin nagant rifles will clear the range quickly.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I've had a few incidents of dumbassery happen.

One time I was shooting up some old Speer GDHP out of my gun at the local indoor range. Guy next to me starts chastising me about using aluminum case ammunition and how it's not allowed on the range. I looked at him for a minute, trying to center myself and not call him a dumbass. I informed him what nickel plated brass was. He was like "Oh." One's shiny, one isn't. Learn the difference.

I see the thugs in there, but usually on the weekends. They usually have a Ruger 10/22 with a banana magazine, though. It's funny to watch them and see them start getting all big when they're pumping .22LR downrange at a target 10yds away.

One guy next to me let his wife try his Glock. She had her support hand thumb resting on the back of the slide. I was about to interrupt them and stop them because I knew it was going to get ugly. He caught it just in time though, and she gripped the Glock with her support thumb wrapped around the BACK of the gun to the strong side (like a revolver). You can't do that with a Glock either. Imagine how that one went...

I chased a guy off the indoor 50yd rifle range back in the fall. He had like a .30-30 lever action deer rifle IIRC, and he was making 50yd shots that looked he was using buckshot on the target. I plopped down on the bench next to him with my M1A/M21 and loaded up. I was getting a short range zero on my new scope and dialing in my barrel tensioner. Once I got dialed in, I was drilling holes. He wasn't impressed by the blast from my rifle's muzzle brake, though. He kept quiet and left. I kinda felt like a dick, but I had to be there and get it sighted in. Then two Esse's came in to shoot their .22. They were standing behind me at the table handling the gun and I didn't realize it. Then I hear the intercom chirp and the range officer tells them to only handle the firearm at the firing line. I turn around to see them standing behind me with a loaded rifle thinking "great... they're gonna A.D. me right in the back."

Couple months ago I was doing some testing with my PDW at the range. Guy is showing off to his girlfriend with his tacticool mall ninja AR. He had about a half dozen accessories on the rifle, and none of them were quality parts. Cheap red dot, stock components, cheap rail, etc. Good for him for getting into the rifle, but holy crap was it unnecessary. So was a couple points down and I started sighting in my new T-1. Then I start practicing doing some failure drills. Once I got into a rhythm, I was really picking up some speed. In between magazines, I decided to take a few minutes to relax and let the rifle cool a little bit. It was smoking by that time. I hear her ask him what I was shooting, and he doesn't know. So she asks me, and I told her it was an AR like he had, but mine was a custom that I built. I go back to start shooting again, but I hear him talking to her and he's telling her "those are illegal".

Some guy was at the point next to me shooting and he was talking to his buddy when I uncased my G34. He began ripping on my Glock to his buddy with the usual polymer gun Errornet rhetoric. I put my target out at 10yds to do my usual warm up drills (always do it when I start). He was at 7yds and his paper looked like it had been blasted with buckshot. I did my usual slow fire routine and drilled a quarter size hole into the middle of the target with my first magazine. He didn't rip on my Glock anymore after that.

Some guy complained about me shooting my Benelli M4 to the range master at the indoor range. Guy apparently claimed I was using really powerful rounds and wanted to know if it was against the rules to use rounds that powerful, and also had no clue what kind of gun I was shooting and wanted to know if it was some assault rifle. I heard the range master go "He's just shooting slugs. It's a 12ga shotgun." I smiled when I heard it. Range masters at that range are pretty cool and they know I'm a cop and that I know what the hell I'm doing. They do a good job at keeping the idiots quiet and recognizing legitimate training and distinguishing it from jacking around.

Most of the dou chebaggery comes from the upstairs portion of the range. The two indoor ranges in the metro area here are owned by the same company, and they have gun shops attached. Bill's Gun Shop is the main one near my house, and then there's Bill's North which is on the north side of the metro. The main store is the one were I usually go, and they're squared away there. The North location has some decent guys there, but they also have some old dou chebags working there. I was at the North location and no one was around, and I wanted to look at the new Benelli Vinci (just after it came out). I picked it up off the wall and started looking at it, and the employees there looked at me fiddling with it, and then went back to talking to each other and ignoring me. So I began to work the action and fiddle with it so see the new features. All of a sudden, one of the old guys comes up and says, "you can't be slamming the action on that gun. We start to think you're trying to load the gun, and someone in here might pull their gun out on you." I looked at him and put the gun back on the wall. He walks away. I then go "you know, if you had been helping me with proper customer service, you would have known I wasn't loading the gun." I was tempted to tell him off and just light him up about presenting me with pompous and ill-conceived veiled threats, but I exercised some restraint and just walked out. I don't go to that range anymore. I had a discussion about that at the main store, and they said "yeah, they're a bit touchy up there. sorry about that." All was okay after that.
Another time I overhead an employee talking to some numbnuts about caliber selection, and while the employee had a decent grasp about what he was talking about, the customer was eating everything up and playing along like he knew everything being said. He was just drinking kool-aid and talking out of his ass. He began talking like "yeah, a .45 isn't necessary. I can shoot a guy center mass, so it doesn't matter what caliber I use." I wholeheartedly agree to the notion, but not to the guy's ability to shoot someone center mass during a combat situation. He looked like a mall ninja if I ever saw one. Had to laugh at that one.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 02-22-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
Haven't had too many bad incidents given my frequency. That said, it does get annoying how most people are full of shit regarding their skills.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
pphil09

My Ride: Imola Red ZHP
Fortunately I havent had any really bad experiences. Only "bad" experience was when someone came to the indoor range with a AR15 and the range master put them in the stall next to me when every other stall was open. I was shooting a S&W Performance Center 9mm that I was trying out before buying, and the concussion from the AR15 just kinda put me off from buying it there. Not a big deal, but it wasnt very courteous of the range master.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
MrWesson

If we are talking about dumbassery I hear its almost weekly.

Guy tells salesman while looking at a gun that Glocks are all plastic and are undectable by metal detectors. This was at a gunshop and the salesmen said nothing to correct the guy. I hope he bought it and tried it out at the airport.

It's not loaded. Dumbest thing and most frequent thing I hear.

Salesman asking me why I checked the chamber of his new gun.. BECAUSE YOU DIDNT! I informed him how easy it would be for some clown to put a round in it while he wasn't looking.

A guy is looking at a deer rifle and points it at me. I ask him nicely not to and he rolls his eyes. About 5 min later I'm shooting the BS with the salesman and I catch him using the side of my face as a backdrop for his scope to which I replied(if you point the f-ing gun at me again I am going to show you mine).

I ask for 9mm super.. Handed 9mm luger.. explain to the older salesman they aren't the same thing.. His response 9mm is 9mm told me young guys come in here all the time questioning him. I explain 9x18,9mm largo, 9mm short and ask him if it will take someone blowing off their hand to listen before leaving.

A long time ago a guy shooting a SBR at the range and I ask him about the process he went through to get the tax stamp. His response F the stamp my 2nd amendment is my stamp(partially right) blah blah blah. I tell him to watch out and told him the penalty for it. I hear through the grapevine he said this to the wrong guy and he turned him in to the ATF. He is in prison now.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
A long time ago a guy shooting a SBR at the range and I ask him about the process he went through to get the tax stamp. His response F the stamp my 2nd amendment is my stamp(partially right) blah blah blah. I tell him to watch out and told him the penalty for it. I hear through the grapevine he said this to the wrong guy and he turned him in to the ATF. He is in prison now.
There was a guy in Wisconsin that was modifying his rifles to shoot fully automatic by doing some filing and dremeling. He believed he didn't have to worry because no one would turn him in. Also apparently thought it was his right. He's in Federal prison now too. NRA wouldn't even touch the case. Guy made his own grave.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 02-22-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #14
MrWesson

I just don't see why he would say anything. If he didn't want to go through the process or thought it was his right why not just say "oh I paid $200 and paperwork but I think its BS". Saying anything but F the government would be better.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #15
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
I just don't see why he would say anything. If he didn't want to go through the process or thought it was his right why not just say "oh I paid $200 and paperwork but I think its BS". Saying anything but F the government would be better.
Yeah, no kidding. But then and again, the stupid are the ones that get caught. If he had kept his mouth shut, he'd have probably been fine. I'd be willing to bet that he was probably spouting off to someone else or bragging about it and it came back and bit him in the a ss. It's not like the government can waltz up and demand to see the paperwork. It's tax paperwork, and they need a subpoena to demand you to present it. Again, probably something this moron also didn't know.

Glock Armorer

Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #16
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphil09 View Post
Fortunately I havent had any really bad experiences. Only "bad" experience was when someone came to the indoor range with a AR15 and the range master put them in the stall next to me when every other stall was open. I was shooting a S&W Performance Center 9mm that I was trying out before buying, and the concussion from the AR15 just kinda put me off from buying it there. Not a big deal, but it wasnt very courteous of the range master.
My range has two separate 3 lane rooms for rifles and shotguns and like 20 lanes of pistols. Never really thought about much until I read your post.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #17
pphil09

My Ride: Imola Red ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
My range has two separate 3 lane rooms for rifles and shotguns and like 20 lanes of pistols. Never really thought about much until I read your post.
Yeah, my hair was actually blowing because of the concussion even though there are stalls separating lanes. That was the day I decided I really wanted an AR15 though
Old 02-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #18
Rush4theYehO

Reading these threads on random gun forums pisses me off like crazy. Don't know why I made a thread about it, hahaha.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #19
Reedo302

I really don't mind indoor ranges for some light shooting, but it's so limiting about what you really can do, and it really miffs me. I'd like to see someplace go like Scottsdale Gun Club up here, where they allow you to draw from a holster and do more aggressive shooting drills as long as you pass a proficiency test administered by the club. The one thing I LOATHE is going shooting on weekends at the indoor ranges. It's @ssholes and elbows in there, since we only have 2 in the immediate metro area (2 more within an hour's drive, but those don't count). Going on the weekends requires waiting for a lane and then shooting in between people who typically aren't the kinds of people I like to shoot around. There's always some d-bag there that I get stuck next to that's showing off to his lady friend, or some guy who has to attempt to tell everyone their business and correct their issues or critique their shooting or equipment. When I go to the range, I go by the same philosophy as in the weight room: Don't correct other people's form or offer unsolicited criticism, no matter how much it hurts YOU.
(The caveat being that on the range, I will only make comments if what they're doing really is going to physically hurt me. That just goes without saying.)

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 02-23-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #20
MrWesson

The indoor range I go to allows draw fire but very few do. The one I go to is pretty hands off which is good and bad.