E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
mozm3

My Ride: LSB E46 M3
New Solution for the SMG problems (potentially)

Hey everyone

I may have potentially found a new cure to SMG problems. My 2002 LSB M3 (in the sig) was dropping out of gear while driving, and going back in 5 seconds later. I took it to the dealer, and two other shops, and they diagnosed it as the pump. However, I refused to believe that because it was shifting perfectly (when it wasn’t going out of gear), and it was priming just fine. So after A lot of research and reading numerous threads, I came across a few that mentioned the temperature sensor on the SMG unit possibly malfunctioning. However, I did not find anyone who actually attempted a replacement. So, I did. I ordered the part, took it to a local shop, and replaced it. Also, I lost some fluid, so we added some fresh Pentosin, primed the system, and so far, I am 200 miles trouble free. I am continuing to drive it to test this fix, so stay tuned.

The part number is 13-62-1-709-966

Lets refer to this fix as the MOZE fix (my initials) lol.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
IFX
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: AW //M
good for you man.

Thanks for the P/N

How much?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
mozm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
good for you man.

Thanks for the P/N

How much?
It cost me like $45 in parts, and around $270 labor. Im still testing it though, it is not a definite fix yet.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Swish

My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Cool... hope this is your fix... keep us posted!

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
costac

My Ride: 03 m3
hopefully that's it. keep the thread alive with updates.
costac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
IFX
Big Pimpin'

how hard is the labor?

Can a person who has basic mechanical knowledge be able to do it?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
dcf

My Ride: 02 e46 M3 SMG - LSB
What do you mean you "lost some fluid?" Transmission fluid or the SMG hydraulic fluid? Are you talking about the temp sensor on the side of the gearbox itself? If so, there is no way changing that out should cause you to loose any hydraulic fluid (the Pentosin CH11 stuff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozm3 View Post
Hey everyone

I may have potentially found a new cure to SMG problems. My 2002 LSB M3 (in the sig) was dropping out of gear while driving, and going back in 5 seconds later. I took it to the dealer, and two other shops, and they diagnosed it as the pump. However, I refused to believe that because it was shifting perfectly (when it wasn’t going out of gear), and it was priming just fine. So after A lot of research and reading numerous threads, I came across a few that mentioned the temperature sensor on the SMG unit possibly malfunctioning. However, I did not find anyone who actually attempted a replacement. So, I did. I ordered the part, took it to a local shop, and replaced it. Also, I lost some fluid, so we added some fresh Pentosin, primed the system, and so far, I am 200 miles trouble free. I am continuing to drive it to test this fix, so stay tuned.

The part number is 13-62-1-709-966

Lets refer to this fix as the MOZE fix (my initials) lol.
dcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
mozm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
how hard is the labor?

Can a person who has basic mechanical knowledge be able to do it?
Its not that hard, taking off the intake manifold is a PITA though. thats pretty much the entire procedure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcf View Post
What do you mean you "lost some fluid?" Transmission fluid or the SMG hydraulic fluid? Are you talking about the temp sensor on the side of the gearbox itself? If so, there is no way changing that out should cause you to loose any hydraulic fluid (the Pentosin CH11 stuff).
I am actually talking about the temperature sensor that is attached to the hydraulic unit. When you remove the intake manifold, and since the smg reservoir is attached to it, you lose some fluid. Also, when you remove the sensor, some fluid is lost.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
dcf

My Ride: 02 e46 M3 SMG - LSB
Quote:
Its not that hard, taking off the intake manifold is a PITA though. thats pretty much the entire procedure though.

I am actually talking about the temperature sensor that is attached to the hydraulic unit. When you remove the intake manifold, and since the smg reservoir is attached to it, you lose some fluid. Also, when you remove the sensor, some fluid is lost.
Gotcha, and yes, that manifold is a HUGE pain to get on and off (I just changed out my entire SMG transmission on my track car, so believe me, I've been there). The best $80 I spent: special pliers from my snap-on guy to put those intake manifold clamps (which BMW calls "exhaust clamps") on and off. Worth every penny!
dcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
IFX
Big Pimpin'

Quote:

thanks bro
Old 03-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
chriskuta

My Ride: M3
I have a solution that is bullet proof for ALL SMG problems.

Convert it to a manual...

2001 e46, Euro Spec, Manual, Rep CSL Airbox, Evolve Tune, OEM CSL Wheels
chriskuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskuta View Post

It is true but those who cannot drive a manual will not be able to drive their cars for awhile until they convert.

Ive driven a handful of SMGs, and yes, it feels only detached during actual shifting of the locomotive, but at highway speeds and quick spirited canyon blasts, the quickness of the SMG transmission has a special one of a kind syncronized mechanical feel to it.

It doesnt reward yourself the driver as a 6 speed would in aa going into a corner hard, brake in, clutch in, heel action REV downshift left foot out of clutch turn the corner hard and gas out type of change, but it makes techniques like that much easier and very repeatable.

Its easier to consistantly bang into gears everytime before the corner and even mid corner.

Anyways thats how I feel, i drive a 6-speed, but i do hope the guys in the smg find as much quick fixes and cost effective ways to maintain their smgs as it still is a quite awesome system that even a 6speed person can appreciate.

"Blast and I'ma last yo, past all these Glass Joes and assholes who claim, like they be runnin' thangs.
I be gunnin those same jiggaz runnin late, to their fate.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
NICKBRUM

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskuta View Post

Yea OK! I can see doing that with a pump failure perhaps, but not over a 45 dollar part. That conversion is a major undertaking!!!!

|Carbon Fiber Intake|AA GEN3|AC Strut Brace|Eibach/Koni's|CSL/SMG Flash|
|Victory UDP's|HPF Sub Frame Plates| PF Subframe Bushings|Rtab Limiters|PFC DD Front Rotors|
NICKBRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Interesting
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
you sure thats the right part number? etk/realoem shows that part as a temp sensor for the head on older cars
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
mozm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer07 View Post
you sure thats the right part number? etk/realoem shows that part as a temp sensor for the head on older cars
Yes, this part was used on older cars. However, im getting mixed signals about the fix, so im still in the "testing phase."
Old 04-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #17
dmcalister

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
still mixed signals? did this actually prove to be a fix or just another false sense of hope for us SMG'rs
Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #18
cohiba1223

My Ride: 2004 325 ci
I had the service engine and the SMG light go on about 2 1/2 weeks ago pretty much right after I bought the car. Changed out the relay and no problems. Then I gave the car to a good year to test the shocks/struts and I saw the guy playing with the shifter back and forth for about 10 mins before I said are you sure you know what you're doing. Sure enough I had the SMG light and service engine come back on. Now the car won't stay shift, but if I shut it down and let it cool, it works again. I'm thinking I may have the temperature sensor issue. Please keep me updated. I replaced the relay again today and will let the car sit for a couple days to clear some codes.

thanks...
cohiba1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #19
mozm3

Hey guys, just a quick update. So far so good. no problems yet.

EDIT: By the way i also changed the relay.

Last edited by mozm3; 05-17-2011 at 10:26 PM.
mozm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #20
bobby_gant

My Ride: E46 M3
Hey whats the update? I am having the same problem!
bobby_gant is offline   Reply With Quote