E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
DBrown

My Ride: BMW 325 Ci
Simple transmission question

I recently purchased a 2001 325ci with 165000 km or roughly 100000 miles. Ive read a few posts on this, but I'm still not sure. I know that the transmission oil has been changed once, but I don't know when it was changed. Ive read that once the oil has turned into some kind of sludge that its pretty much holding the transmission together and once the tranny fluid is changed, the transmission usually fails. Is this true?

I was planning on changing the transmission and differential sometime within the next two weeks. Is this not a good idea? As crazy as it sounds, is it actually a better idea to leave the fluid in the transmission?
DBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrown View Post
I recently purchased a 2001 325ci with 165000 km or roughly 100000 miles. Ive read a few posts on this, but I'm still not sure. I know that the transmission oil has been changed once, but I don't know when it was changed. Ive read that once the oil has turned into some kind of sludge that its pretty much holding the transmission together and once the tranny fluid is changed, the transmission usually fails. Is this true?

I was planning on changing the transmission and differential sometime within the next two weeks. Is this not a good idea? As crazy as it sounds, is it actually a better idea to leave the fluid in the transmission?
No. no. no. A thousand times no. Old wives tail. Change your fluids.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
DBrown

Good that's what I wanted to hear. I've never heard of changing fluids as a bad thing.

I know i should research this, but i have not flushed any systems out when i bought the car. I plan on doing brakes and power steering myself this summer. and I plan on getting the transmission and rear differential oil changed sometime next week. I do my oil every 5000 km and my coolant is still good. Is there some other fluids is should change that i might have overlooked, that should be changed?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Why do you figure your coolant is still good? It's a good habit to completely drain and refill with BMW coolant/distilled water 1:1. You seemed to have mentioned all the fluids...

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
DBrown

Well, i know the coolant has been replaced winthin the last two years. I think that I'm going to replace the water pump (apparently they're prone to failure) sometime this summer, so I'll probably change the coolant then.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
DBrown

I'm sure changing the fluids can't hurt. I love my car, but I'm only 17, don't have a lot of cash. I'm trying to do everything I can, but if I can leave certain stuff until I have enough cash to do it, then I'll wait.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

That's fine. You're on the right track by replacing the water pump, etc. Good job, Coolant can wait. In all likelihood, your expansion tank and thermostat are the first to fail. If I were you, being on a budget, Id replace the expansion tank, thermostat, water pump and belts.

Add the two hoses + sensor on the lower hose if you're feeling generous...

If you're feeling even more generous, add the three tensioner pulleys.

If you're feeling like an absolute stud, replace the radiator.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP, you can easily wait longer on the oil, and from my studying here, I'd say you're actually doing the car a service to wait longer...7-8K miles is great. I just did 10.7 and was fine...BMW says 15.5K miles...all assuming you use an LL-01 oil, of course.

Mango's right about the ET failing, and cooling system is a great way to invest money. Thermostat is seemingly more likely to fail than ET and WP, but eventually everything will.

You can also wait for things to fail and spend money when you have to, but you'll have to pay for a tow truck also. Life is a gamble!

Sounds like you'll be good at this!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
DBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
OP, you can easily wait longer on the oil, and from my studying here, I'd say you're actually doing the car a service to wait longer...7-8K miles is great. I just did 10.7 and was fine...BMW says 15.5K miles...all assuming you use an LL-01 oil, of course.

Mango's right about the ET failing, and cooling system is a great way to invest money. Thermostat is seemingly more likely to fail than ET and WP, but eventually everything will.

You can also wait for things to fail and spend money when you have to, but you'll have to pay for a tow truck also. Life is a gamble!

Sounds like you'll be good at this!
Haha^ I change my oil every 5000 kilometers not miles. This is where I expect to be called a noob
Old 03-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
DBrown

I plan on doing all that was mentioned by e46mango eventually. After the summer I should have enough money to do everything. When do those parts seem to fail? Around what mileage? Also I was thinking of replacing the fuel filter sometime this summer because it's never been replaced. The old owner used to put 89 in the car all the time too. I use 94. Is it a good idea to replace the filter and is it an easy DIY?

Sorry guys, I should research, but you guys are pretty knowledgeable. This is the last of my questions.

Tags
differential, failure, oil, transmission