E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
nadeemp8

My Ride: 05 325i
HID in Fog Lights issue...HELP ME!!!

Hey folks,
So I retrofitted a 3000K HID kit into my projector foglights, and am having a weird issue when I turn them on for the first time. When I hit the foglight switch, my high beam indicator on the dash flashes quickly and my driver's side window will lower about .25". This is really weird as it only happens the first time I hit the switch, not if I use the switch repeatedly when the car is on. Any clues??
nadeemp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
Get rid of the cheapo HID kit.

Also, you retrofitted jack ****. It's not a retrofit if you just stick a HID kit bulb into a housing. That's called being unsafe.

Unless you actually DID retrofit a pair of projectors (not those crap ebay ones) into those fog lights. Then you retrofitted something. Sort of.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
nadeemp8

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
Get rid of the cheapo HID kit.

Also, you retrofitted jack ****. It's not a retrofit if you just stick a HID kit bulb into a housing. That's called being unsafe.

Unless you actually DID retrofit a pair of projectors (not those crap ebay ones) into those fog lights. Then you retrofitted something. Sort of.
Whoa there buddy, chill out

Stop making assumptions, you know nothing about me. I have enough sense not to put an HID kit into a regular reflective housing.

As far as terminology, I may have used it incorrectly, but it has nothing to do with the question I'm asking, so I"ll leave it at that...
Old 03-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
^ chill man. you're getting way too angry over little things. you've got to remember, people have to start small and make mistakes before they realize it. i'm sure you did something like this at one point or another.

OP, it's because the kit is drawing too much at start up. get a harness and wire it up. then it won't mess up your LCM/LSZ ($500 part brand new)

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
nadeemp8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
^ chill man. you're getting way too angry over little things. you've got to remember, people have to start small and make mistakes before they realize it. i'm sure you did something like this at one point or another.

OP, it's because the kit is drawing too much at start up. get a harness and wire it up. then it won't mess up your LCM/LSZ ($500 part brand new)
Hey bud,
Thanks for the response. What kind of harness are you referring to? Is it the harness with a resistor wired in that people use to avoid the headlamp out dash light on HID plug & play kits?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
sillieidiot

nah, it's just an accessory harness. you wire it to the battery and the trigger is the fogs.

something like this:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness

Old 03-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
nadeemp8

Quote:
nah, it's just an accessory harness. you wire it to the battery and the trigger is the fogs.

something like this:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness
Are you sure the reason is because it is drawing too much voltage? I thought HID kits draw the same amount of power (55w) as halogen bulbs...

Looking at the DDM site it says the harness should be used when:
"Symptoms indicating the harness is required would be intermittent starting or lights going out after being turned on for several minutes and requiring you to turn the lights off and back on for them to turn back on again."

My lights don't flicker at all and both of them turn on all the time. Also it only does this the first time I turn on the fog lights. If the car remains on I can turn the foglights on and off multiple times without any issues...

I'm curious as it doesn't seem like anyone else has had this issue and there are a ton of people running HIDs in their fogs...
Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
sillieidiot

it's drawing too much at INITIAL startup. that's the big problem. and with inferior HID kits, it compounds the problem. not to mention, e46 fog lights are NOT made for HID/xenon applications so the LCM can't deal with the added stress.

i had the same problem, the fl coupes seem to be more sensitive to these types of things. i have a harness as well.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
nadeemp8

Quote:
it's drawing too much at INITIAL startup. that's the big problem. and with inferior HID kits, it compounds the problem. not to mention, e46 fog lights are NOT made for HID/xenon applications so the LCM can't deal with the added stress.

i had the same problem, the fl coupes seem to be more sensitive to these types of things. i have a harness as well.
Ah, right. on. Thanks for the help, I'll try to pick up the relay harness soon!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
infinite012

Sorry for sounding like an elitist prick, but my post still stands.

Also, no, I never installed an improper HID kit into headlight housing before. I also haven't yet decided if I want to go through with installing HIDs into my retrofitted fog lights, so... yeah. No HID kits for me. Ever.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
Sorry for sounding like an elitist prick, but my post still stands.

Also, no, I never installed an improper HID kit into headlight housing before. I also haven't yet decided if I want to go through with installing HIDs into my retrofitted fog lights, so... yeah. No HID kits for me. Ever.
well it doesn't have to be HIDs, can be with any cheap inferior mod. mines were those crappy xenon interior lights lol but it could be anything from cheap tires to crappy paint lol they just need to feel the regret of doing it the cheap way.

but not having ever used an HID kit, i don't think you would ever understand why one would consider it other than cost. people with little budget only think for the short term, and if it happens to last longer than so be it. you can try to steer them the right way, but you don't have to be an ass about it. other than that, just let them do what they want and guide them to the best of your abilities.

btw not all HID kits are that bad. the hella gen 3 replicas are the most consistent and reliable ones. slims are the worst imo.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
infinite012

Hah, true. I'll try to tone it down a bit, but it's hard to break old habits.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I had the same issue, although my window didnt come down on me. I installed a wiring harness to pull power directly from the battery and it helped, but didnt completely cure the issue. Probably 1 out of 5 times my high-beam indicator will still flash when I turn on the HID fogs. But thats better than doing it every time guaranteed like it was before I installed the harness.

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #14
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
I had the same issue, although my window didnt come down on me. I installed a wiring harness to pull power directly from the battery and it helped, but didnt completely cure the issue. Probably 1 out of 5 times my high-beam indicator will still flash when I turn on the HID fogs. But thats better than doing it every time guaranteed like it was before I installed the harness.
if the high beam indicator is still coming on then you wired the harness wrong or there's another underlying problem

Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #15
Rajput

My Ride: 2001 325i 5MT
I have similar but not exactly same issue. At the initial turn ON of the lights, even if the car is running my gauge cluster dies for few secs and acts like if the key is just turned ON. Also resets my trip computer and clock goes blank. Then everything back to normal again.

Do you guys think a harness will fix that?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
nadeemp8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajput View Post
I have similar but not exactly same issue. At the initial turn ON of the lights, even if the car is running my gauge cluster dies for few secs and acts like if the key is just turned ON. Also resets my trip computer and clock goes blank. Then everything back to normal again.

Do you guys think a harness will fix that?
Sounds like a harness is the answer to your issue as well...I purchased a harness but have yet to install it, I'll update the thread with results once I install it...
Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #17
desi-e46

My Ride: 4dr e46
desi people.. I have a similar problem, in my car just the high beam indicator turns on. I'll definately have to install the harness.
desi-e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #18
Rajput

Kidan Desi..
Old 04-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #19
Rajput

Cool. Let me know how the install goes and please give us an update on this for sure weather your problem gets fixed or not. It happens a lot on this forum, when people find the fix for their problem they never report back. I appreciate your time.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #20
sillieidiot

yea a harness will help, but usually the cluster reset is tied to the low beams with an inferior HID kit.