E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Itadienekes

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325xi
325xi Front CV/Axle Repair

Next thread ...

I tried searching, I promise I did, it's hard to put the information together though. Hoping someone can give me a solid overview considering I'm a noob when it comes to car mechanics. 2002 325xi.

Front left CV boot busted, grease all over the place, time to fix it. Bought the car used, with the busted boot, so I don't know how much damage has been done and I'm thinking I'd like to replace EVERYTHING ... cv joint, boot, axle.. both sides.

What should I get? OEM? 3rd Party? Recommendations? Anything else I should replace while I'm at it to make sure it will last? $ is a non-issue, got a sick deal on the car, but would like to keep it under $1k...

Car is lowered on H&R and Bilsteins if that changes anything...
Itadienekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I'd get new Cardone reman axles for about $80 each. Buy the new circlips, and diff seals from BMW. Two bottles of Redline 75w90 diff fluid and two diff crush washers for the diff drain/fill. And new strut pinch bolts and/or control arm/tierod nuts depending on how you get the axles out.

#7, #11 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...68&hg=31&fg=15

Circlip is #2 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&hg=31&fg=20
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
If you want to go new... GKN Loebro, since you have some extra $$. They are a BMW supplier.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...SUSaxl_pg3.htm

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
markusvt

My Ride: 330xi
Always out of stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My325XI View Post
If you want to go new... GKN Loebro, since you have some extra $$. They are a BMW supplier.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...SUSaxl_pg3.htm
markusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
shocka330xi

Just got my cardone remans put in for $165. Set of cardone ones came to 256 with shipping 100 core

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
shocka330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
FCPGroton
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E39 / 2011 M3
We carry an after market replacement set for the front on that car, also has access to the OEM variants, but based on the
poser distribution on that model car I would personally not bother getting originals. Depending on how bad they are you might
be able to get away with just the boots, but again all depends on what is wrong.

Either way the job itself isn't too bad, hope this helps.

FCPeuro.com
FCPGroton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCPGroton View Post
We carry an after market replacement set for the front on that car, also has access to the OEM variants, but based on the
poser distribution on that model car I would personally not bother getting originals. Depending on how bad they are you might
be able to get away with just the boots, but again all depends on what is wrong.

FCPeuro.com
Don't understand what you mean by poser?
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
markusvt

I think he meant posTer description, not "poser distribution". Meaning putting $600 OEM into each side would not fit what the OP wanted, but I am guessing without my secret decoder ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 2 View Post
Don't understand what you mean by poser?

Last edited by markusvt; 05-19-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
Kubica

Quote:

FCPeuro.com
Would you agree the axles you sell are complete Chinese garbage and shouldn't be installed on any xi?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
Itadienekes

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Would you agree the axles you sell are complete Chinese garbage and shouldn't be installed on any xi?
LOL

I like your very direct style Kubica

Just saw you're in Boston. Great city. Spend 4 months there last year training, was just out there a few weeks ago breaking my thumb ...
Itadienekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
mp333

My Ride: 2003 325XI
+1^

E46 Rocks
mp333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
That makes no sense from the contents of his post.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Josepilove

Who sells the cardone axles? I always forget.
Josepilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
markusvt

Google, you will find a few.

Here is one.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josepilove View Post
Who sells the cardone axles? I always forget.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #15
FCPGroton
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E39 / 2011 M3
Sorry everyone, I meant to say "power distribution," due to the fact that the front axles don't handle as much torque as the rear.

I was just speaking from personal experience. If it were my Xi, I wouldn't bother getting originals. With torque distribution sending most of the power to the rear axles, the DSS front axles will hold up well as long as they are driven properly (i.e. not cutting the wheel and flooring it). That suggestion, along with the one to consider just re-greasing and replacing the boot, was simply an attempt to save OP some cash.

Sorry for the confusion. Iphone autocorrect will get you every time.
FCPGroton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
markusvt

I spun my secret decoder ring 3 times, still did not get it. The frustrations of folks putting in cheap axles and having to do it again are real, but again $600 OEM BMW is very high, and the like OEM $300 are always out of stock, which leaves a few brands of cheapies, or a rebuilt.

Quote:
Sorry everyone, I meant to say "power distribution," due to the fact that the front axles don't handle as much torque as the rear.

I was just speaking from personal experience. If it were my Xi, I wouldn't bother getting originals. With torque distribution sending most of the power to the rear axles, the DSS front axles will hold up well as long as they are driven properly (i.e. not cutting the wheel and flooring it). That suggestion, along with the one to consider just re-greasing and replacing the boot, was simply an attempt to save OP some cash.

Sorry for the confusion. Iphone autocorrect will get you every time.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #17
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
ya gotta pay to play! right KUBICA?
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #18
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN View Post
ya gotta pay to play! right KUBICA?
Yeah. You're gonna pay twice if you buy Chinese axles.

In my experience the Cardone axles hold up better than dealer installed axles, which I believe are reman'd by BMW anyway.

Last edited by Kubica; 05-25-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #19
drumbum624

My Ride: 325xi
Send a message via AIM to drumbum624
guys if my CV boots have some grease on the outside (not sure how long ago it started leaking) should i be worried about any damage or just change the boots in the near future?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #20
SWFan

My Ride: 2011 335is
If the grease appears to be from the CV joint, then yes, you should be showing some signs of concerns. If you're not experiencing tremors or violent shaking when accelerating then the problem is probably very new so likely nothing has been irreparably damaged.

As has been mentioned you have two choices. 1) pull the axles off, pull boots off, repack the CV joints with grease, then install brand new boots or 2) pull axles off and replace with new or reman axles.

My car is showing signs of dry CV joints. I'm personally torn between replacing the axles or just go with a repack. Funds are not a problem and thus I'm leaning more towards a complete replacement with Loebro (OEM supplier) from Turner Motorsports.