E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Oakes
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2009 Fusion Sport
Porsche 993 Carrera S - Corrected by Oakes

This 1997 Porsche 993 Carrera S came in with 113,000 miles on it, and to be honest, they weren't showing. I spent some time performing rock chip touch up in a few areas of the car, then paint corrected the entire exterior, while also performing leather and wheel treatment. I carefully combed over this 993 to make sure it looked better than it 113k miles ago, check out the rest of the write up to see how it was done!

As it arrived, with another 993 alongside.

I used Sonax Full Effect to remove the brake dust inside the barrels, love this stuff! Side note, the lemon scent claim is about as accurate as free falling bomb.

The vehicle was completely masked off, which is a bit tricky on most 911 chassis Porsches. As most of the rubber trim as almost no solid edge to guide the tape easily. So masking this car was a near two hour process in itself, as well as two full rolls of Meguiars tape. Also devised a super expensive, extremely tricky way to cover the engine compartment under the deck lid vent....

After that financially and physically draining ordeal, I inspected the paint and took readings, which were consistent throughout the car reading in the low to mid 100 micron range. The paint damage aside from the rock chips was also fairly "minimal" for 113k miles, much to my surprise considering the paint isn't the hardest.

I won't bore you with dozens of before photos, but rather before/after photos of the same panels immediately after each other. Starting with the roof:

Driver side C pillar, with the notoriously easy to work with water drain:

Driver Side Rear Quarter panel, love those curves.

Not sure how to describe this accurately, which I'm assuming would be considered the cowl:

Paint correction on the trunk.

Arctic Silver is definitely one of those silvers that really pops! As you can see in these reflection photos following below, which are the result of
Meguiars 105/LC Purple Wool
Meguiars 205/LC Foam Orange
Menzerna 106/LC Foam white
Paint was cleansed with IPA and P21S Paint Cleanser
Sealed twice with Menzerna Powerlock. I will let the visuals do the talking from here!

Some full body profile photos, hopefully the rear end shots are still safe for work, Sir Mix a Lot claims it might be risky!

Thanks for looking! Any and all sarcasm that may or may not have been picked up in this write up, is exactly that. I take all my work very seriously, I just like to put a twist on explaining it sometimes! Enjoy!

-Oakes
Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
great work! I love that color silver.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
WillE46

My Ride: Topaz M3 Vert
Very impressive. Great work!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Oakes
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2009 Fusion Sport
Thank you!
Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
325rider

My Ride: gone, not forgotten
Send a message via AIM to 325rider
Dose Hips

Beautiful car. Went from looking eh to a beautiful classic

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2

My Fitness YouTube Channel!!! Thanks for all the support I am GRATEFUL

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCozwn8gNwXQVuG0se8cTpUQ
325rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Vic328CSi

My Ride: depends on the mood
I purchased the flex polisher and a bunch of menzerna products hoping to do this kind of work.

Although ive had some good results, alas its not as easy as it looks!! Im pretty mechanically inclined, but I just dont seem to have the patience or judgement with this type of work and I dont get the results I would like. This takes hours of prep and hours of handwork.

The last time I did my roof, I reached too much with the flex one armed and i sprained my elbow, pinched a nerve somewhere and it hurt for a month. Couldnt lift a glass of water without feeling pain.

So nowadays I prefer to have pro's like you do it, and its worth every penny. You do good work.

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Vic328CSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:59 AM   #7
lopealle

My Ride: M5
Awesome
lopealle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #8
000_323i

My Ride: Porsche
Very nice

Porsche Carrera