E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Liam.attwood

My Ride: 3 series coupe '01'
E46 buzzing noise

Hey all,

i have noticed a buzzing noise coming from the engine bay.. i have located the culprit, i have a pic *below*

Can anyone tell me what this box is that is buzzing (blue) and can anyone confirm that the red circel'd area is the oil seperator?

i have been told that a faulty oil seperator causes oil loss.. that is my problem.. are these two things (in pic) joined, and will replacing the oil seperator (red circel'd area?) stop this buzzz. thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E46 PIC.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	406613  

Last edited by Liam.attwood; 06-16-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Liam.attwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
maurer

My Ride: 04 Coupe
The box is the DISA valve. If its buzzing like you say its broke and needs to be replaced. It will make your CEl come on if it isnt on already. They run around $200. It's purpose is to raise the low and midrange torque "and" raise the top end power output. It's a valve that opens or closes intake ports depending on the load. Its really easy to change...theres a ton of videos on youtube that shows you step by step how to change it. Good luck!
maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
maurer

My Ride: 04 Coupe
Almost forgot....the part you have circled in red is part of the DISA valve....not the oil seperator. Use the search function up top and find out where the oil separator is.
maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Liam.attwood

ok thanks looks like its getting expensive lol.. just out of interest, i have read up that if you put a bag over the oil filler and it sucks in, your oil seperator is shot... mine does suck in, but could this be down to the 'DISA' or is it definitly the oil seperator. thanks
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
You should have some suction, just not a lot.

Also, you know the ccv is right behind the disa, and it wouldn't surprise me if it does buzz when it's failed a certain way. It makes a chewbacca noise, why not buzzing?

Just doublecheck your assumptions before you buy a disa. I know they fail, but I also know mine hasn't...though my and everyone else's ccv has failed after so many miles.

I wish there was a better test for ccv failure than the sucking bag!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
Liam.attwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You should have some suction, just not a lot.

Also, you know the ccv is right behind the disa, and it wouldn't surprise me if it does buzz when it's failed a certain way. It makes a chewbacca noise, why not buzzing?

Just doublecheck your assumptions before you buy a disa. I know they fail, but I also know mine hasn't...though my and everyone else's ccv has failed after so many miles.

I wish there was a better test for ccv failure than the sucking bag!
Me too... so the ccv = oil seperator? and it is behind the DISA... someone told me the oil seperator was deeper in the engine (under the disa if you like)

apparantly if it sucks in, then the oil seperator is shot? im just wondering if its sucking in because the DISA is shot.. or are they both at fault (getting expensive )
Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam.attwood View Post
Me too... so the ccv = oil seperator? and it is behind the DISA... someone told me the oil seperator was deeper in the engine (under the disa if you like)

apparantly if it sucks in, then the oil seperator is shot? im just wondering if its sucking in because the DISA is shot.. or are they both at fault (getting expensive )
Yes, Crank Vent Valve is the oil seperator. It is under the intake manifold, burried under there. So I wouldn't say it's just behind the DISA.

I always heard the best way to know if it was bad, is when you turn the car off, if you hear the loud chewbacca noise. Not the mild 'whoosh' noise, but a loud noise. There is a video on here somewhere. I've never heard of a buzzing sound associated with the CVV.

The crankcase 'sucking' won't have anything to do with the DISA.

I knew my DISA was bad when I pulled it out. It has a flap that is held open (or maybe closed) with a spring. The DME will close it as needed. Just pull it out, and make sure the spring isn't broken. It should be real obvious. BUT, if it's buzzing, I guess the problem could be electrical related with the DISA.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote