E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
EricAire

My Ride: E46 4d
I blew my engine??

hey everyone so yesterday i was driving to work on the 405 in socal and it was 95-100 degrees outside, and my ac was BLASTING, right when i exited the freeway and i was behind the light right when i got to the light i put my foot on the gas when it turned green and realized my cars off... so i didnt think much of it, then i cranked the motor to see if itll start back up... it didnt so i worried then i looked and saw theres alot of smoke coming out of my engine, i pushed my car to the nearest gas station and apparently i had a leak in my radiator so i filled it up with water and the water started gushing out from inside and there was more smoke, later on i got my car to turn on and there was this weird sound like a (tak tak tak tak tak tak) sound coming from my engine while it was on, so everyones telling me im going to have to do an engine swap or a full head rebuild and im looking at around 3000-3500$ to get this fixed...
my car is a
2000 323i i only have 110k miles on it

so what should i do? what would be the best move?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
ZHud3

My Ride: black 323Ci
you coolant expansion tank probably cracked and blew up look into it here on the forum
ZHud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
EricAire

thanks, would that explain the (tik tik tik tik tik) sound coming from my engine? and im assuming my gaskets are blown too
Old 07-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
I wouldn't immediately panic comrade, first thing I would suggest is to see if there's any coolant on the dip stick. That's a clear sign that the head is cracked and will need replacing... I sounds like your cooling system is definitely shot and will need to be completely revamped. The sound you're hearing could be broken belts, pulley's, water pump or thermostat pieces parts. First check the oil for coolant and proceed from there. Just my two and a half cents worth...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Last edited by Zchild; 07-03-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
maurer

My Ride: 04 Coupe
driving your car until it shuts off from overheating is not a good sign....Id buy a few lotto tickets if i were you. Sorry about your bad luck.
maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
someguy_99

My Ride: E46,335Xi,Lambo,...
No point to fix cause u can just buy another 323i for a bit more then keep this one has a parts car for the newer one

A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. J Clarkson
someguy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
Next move? Don't drive your car at all. It'll only get worse...

Have it diagnosed at an indy shop, unless you know what to look for yourself.

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
JordanBMW

My Ride: 320i 2002 steel blue
Send a message via MSN to JordanBMW Send a message via Skype™ to JordanBMW
Check for coolant in the oil is the first step. Just swap the whole motor no point in doing the head gasket fix, depending on the mechanic this can go wrong.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
EricAire

thanks fellas, and i have a special mechanic i only take my car to, i called him today but hes out of town until tuesday, and thanks Zchild, that actually calmed me down a bit, id much rather have any of those to replace over any engine internals any day, i havent driven the car ever since it turned off, i didnt purposely drive it to that point, i just noticed my car turned off all of a sudden, i pushed my car to the nearest gas station and called my buddies and we pushed it to the street and i got back from work around 4:30 am and my friend took my to my car and we called AAA so they towed my car home, im tempted to turn on the car but i honestly dont want to risk anything getting worst
Old 07-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Eric,

Don't know your money situation, but from my read, there's a decent chance that you'll come out of this fine.

You had just come off the highway and when you went to go, the car was off. That itself doesn't necessarily mean that you'd been driving while it was overheating, but it might have picked just about that time for the heat to build up, maybe your fan didn't come on, ET pops and there you go...something like that.

Now, I know the music was probably on loud and I won't guess whether other things were going on that might've distracted you from seeing a red light in front of you (the overheating light on temp gauge). But, since you didn't mention red light, I think that's good...unless you want to add more to your story...and best for you we get the details right, otherwise you'll get misinformed and mislead.

You have a cooling leak obviously. What you don't know yet is whether it's just that or if that came about because of another issue...and you need to sort of know that before driving it again.

For $300 you can buy our entire cooling system and be pretty sure that's all taken care of. Otherwise you can 'risk' just replacing those things you know have failed, and 'hope' the rest is good.

If fan or WP had failed, then that would explain it overheating...same with thermostat, belt, pulley...could be any of those things that started this mess you're in.

The stalling sure sounds like it was temp related but I do know other things will randomly shut off the car too.

It's good you seem to have a trustworthy mechanic...just know many don't seem to get along well with BMWs. If you used him to tell you what is wrong, you 'could' use us to help 'you' do the work...a $100 in tools and ability to get the front of the car up...on ramps or with jack and jack stands...another $100 say.

You need to not only find out what was broken...some will be obvious, but don't assume that's all. Check what I and others have mentioned.

The sound could have been belt, could be the engine shutting off out of anger.

Oh, and you can fix a head gasket, even a head...it's pricey, and a lot of shops don't have the skills to do that, or they don't have the time to do it. For either reason, you may well hear you need a new engine. Doesn't sound like you were driving while it was overheated for long at all to me, so you might not have done either, and I certainly hope not. But, if you hear engine, know you could go looking for another shop that would rebuild it as needed and do it well...use regional forum to search for local Indies that are well recommended. Your guy might be one of them...maybe not.

Any details you want to share on chronology...do you know the red light on temp gauge wasn't on...did it come on at all in this?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:29 AM   #11
EricAire

ok so my mechanic took it apart, said my radiator blew, how i dono, he said there was some soapy stuff in it, i dono how that got in there honestly, but in the end hes gona replace my radiator and my hoses, and hes gona change 2 of my coils, he said they were messed up (maybe thats the ticking noise) so hopefully well see, he estimated that i might get my car back july 7
Old 07-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAire View Post
ok so my mechanic took it apart, said my radiator blew, how i dono, he said there was some soapy stuff in it, i dono how that got in there honestly, but in the end hes gona replace my radiator and my hoses, and hes gona change 2 of my coils, he said they were messed up (maybe thats the ticking noise) so hopefully well see, he estimated that i might get my car back july 7
Glad to here that your engine doesn't appear to be toast; the cooling systems on these E46's can be problematic... Holla back with the final disposition...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #13
Another BM

My Ride: 330ci
july 7 is today
Old 07-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #14
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Next move: take it to a shop and get it properly diagnosed. Don't rely on the forums for an accurate diagnosis because we weren't there, can't inspect anything, and can't listen to the noise.

www.bimrs.org
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #15
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
you need to take your car to ValenciaEuropean in Santa Clarita. Superior service, ridiculously good (cheap) prices. One man operation.

Anything could've happened. Depends how long you drove your car in the red zone. Ask yourself this question: Does any one of your many cooling components have more than 75,000 miles on it? If your answer is yes or "I don't know," then there's your answer. You didn't maintain your cooling system properly.

Now that you're armed with this knowledge and your motor is still good, replace all cooling components. If you get a replacement motor, still replace all components.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #16
lkchris

My Ride: Friends' BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Depends how long you drove your car in the red zone.
Yes, I read somewhere that should one of these cars suffer significant coolant loss at highway speeds the driver has less than 5 seconds to shut it off to avoid a warped cylinder head.

Last edited by lkchris; 07-12-2011 at 04:06 PM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
EricAire

hey fellas bad news... so i went to pick up my car today since i was working yesterday, he said "i changed your rotors, pads, sensors (for breaks) and radiator for 800$!" i went to BMA they told me 150$ for ceramic pads, top of the line rotars and they were gona give me a sensor too... (just for the front two) so double it 300$... he told me he paid 140 (his cost) for the radiator... so 440$ so that means hes charging me 360$ IN LABOR! now he wants to work on my motor, he said i blew my head gasket, and my 2 coils are messed up... for changing those its gona cost 1500$... i dono if its just me put im thinking hes asking for TOOOO much
Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #18
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAire View Post
hey fellas bad news... so i went to pick up my car today since i was working yesterday, he said "i changed your rotors, pads, sensors (for breaks) and radiator for 800$!" i went to BMA they told me 150$ for ceramic pads, top of the line rotars and they were gona give me a sensor too... (just for the front two) so double it 300$... he told me he paid 140 (his cost) for the radiator... so 440$ so that means hes charging me 360$ IN LABOR! now he wants to work on my motor, he said i blew my head gasket, and my 2 coils are messed up... for changing those its gona cost 1500$... i dono if its just me put im thinking hes asking for TOOOO much
The $360 for labor on all four brakes and radiator isn't really horrible...you could get it done for a bit less, but not a lot more. Second, my radiator cost me $140 also, so that's a decent price.

$1500 for a head gasket and 2 coils isn't crazy either. You don't want someone low balling head gasket, but you also have to be prepared to hear your head is cracked/warped and needs replacement or milling...I don't think they can know with certainty until they open it up to look at it.

It's not every shop that will do this kind of work...for many, suggesting you just drop in an engine for that money...it actually gets close to the same price at some point, but a shop that can do this work sounds like they know what they're doing, and around NJ, that would be a fair price.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #19
SalM

My Ride: Shhh
Tell him to put your gasket around his hole and shove the coil up his ass. Take your car back and go to a trusted Indy shop in your area.

SalMPhotography
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #20
ventsyv

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
800 is not too bad. Did he call you and ask you if you want your brakes done? You should've done the water pump, t-stat and expansion tank first, the brakes can wait.
$1500 for the head gasket also sounds reasonable to me.
ventsyv is offline   Reply With Quote