E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
sergar14

My Ride: 00 328i Sport Pkg
Question Transmission Oil (To change or Not to change?)

Hey guys! here is some info and hopefully this helps someone with a similar problem.

I decided to change my transmission oil after all! after reviewing countless blogs! The following reasons why I decided was from the following;

1. Lifetime oil to BMW (dealership) means up to 100,000 miles and NOT the lifetime of the transmission
2. I want to keep my car as long as possible since it is the classic E46.
3. I have 173,800 miles on my vehicle, the gasket is starting or has been leaking (minor) for some time since it is "worn out". You can tell from the gasket area which has oil collected or has been dripping from.
4. The gear was skipping from 1st to 2nd at around 2800 RPM's (fixed today BTW)
5. Most of the time I am coming to a stop or slowing down the transmission seems to pull back.

Well I will be using the BMW filter, gasket and bolts kit.

I am going to use the original "Texaco" life time oil from BMW dealership to prevent "mixing" different fluids together.

For right now I have added 1quart of Lucas Transmission Fix. This product works with ALL transmissions and you can add this to the existing oil as well. I trust this brand since I use the Full Synthetic Oil Stabilizer for the engine and lasts up to 10,000 miles before the oil is "worn out" and in need of another oil change. http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...smission%20Fix

My transmission did lose about 1quart of oil. With this I was able to top it off again. The test drive was surprisingly smooth! did not skip or hesitate changing gears at all. Coming to a stop my transmission did NOT do the "pulling back feel I used to get before when it downshifts. I am overall satisfied with this product and suggest using it if you just need to top off. I did it just for now to prevent driving my transmission dry. Better safe than sorry! the bottle cost me about $12 at AutoZone and better to pay that than a new transmission!

If you plan to keep your car! I suggest changing the transmission fluid at about every 80 to 100,00 miles and buy it from BMW if you are not confident using other products like I am. As for me regardless I am going to have to do it since the gasket is no good!

What say you?
sergar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
i say awsome but real results after full fluid flush ..
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
sergar14

Thanks Steven! I am actually looking forward to doing that since I saw the old fluid... It was a dark black color like and smelled burned. Cant wait to actually drive it after the fluid flush and notice the difference.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
avglushk

My Ride: e92
Send a message via Skype™ to avglushk
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergar14 View Post
Thanks Steven! I am actually looking forward to doing that since I saw the old fluid... It was a dark black color like and smelled burned. Cant wait to actually drive it after the fluid flush and notice the difference.
keep us updated, after u change tranny oil.
For Sale: 1. OEM used headlights and corners, see link http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=884565
2. 2 brand new Bosch post cat oxygen sensors
avglushk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
bugra

My Ride: 330i
I know that many people use Valvoline Max Life fluid for transmission fluid change,as far as i know it is same specs as bmw approved esso oil.Any experiences with Valvoline?
bugra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
I know that many people use Valvoline Max Life fluid for transmission fluid change,as far as i know it is same specs as bmw approved esso oil.Any experiences with Valvoline?
Interestingly, Valvoline used to say compatible with LT71141 (used in the ZF 5HP19 transmission), however, they no longer show this on the specs on their website. Mobil 1 used to say the same thing and also no longer claims that. I used the VW version of 71141 when I changed my fluid.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
Marinerd

My Ride: 09 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
Interestingly, Valvoline used to say compatible with LT71141 (used in the ZF 5HP19 transmission), however, they no longer show this on the specs on their website. Mobil 1 used to say the same thing and also no longer claims that. I used the VW version of 71141 when I changed my fluid.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Busting my balls cause its considerably cheaper than say Redline or OEM. It doesn't say it on the website but apparently it still does on the bottle as well as confirmation from Valvoline. Below is a thread from BF.com where someone emailed them and received an email back with an official letterhead stating compatibilty, LT71141 being one of them. I'm going this route.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=525224
Marinerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
miyata

My Ride: 2005 330 XI
take your own risk. Life time fluid is very confusing, but it's definitely longer than 100K miles, IMHO.
miyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Providing you use the correct oil, there is NEVER any risk in changing your automatic transmission fluid at any time. Good job.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
I am using Royal Purple Synchromax, and for me it took about 2 Liters.. I did the differential with it and also used RP. Since both fluids looked like dirt and there were a lot of particles, I decided to buy some extra of each and first pumped some extra fluid in both get some of the particles out, fitted the plugs, drove the car for 15-20km changed the fluid, then another 15-20km and changed again.

Results were noticeable and both felt less notchy and more responsive. Especially transmission, with new fluids car performs better in winter cold and summer hot much better.

Thats my experience anyways..
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
OP, I'm enjoying your enthusiasm and ambition.

You say you went with the OEM Texaco fluid for "mixing" reasons yet toss in a quart of Dr. Frankie's Bug Juice to blend with BMW blessed voodoo fluid. Then, unknowingly stirring up trouble, you add a shot of Dr. Bugs' Franken juice to the crankcase oil!! Be abundantly clear, there are purists 'round here who recite LL-01 specs from memory. These would be oil chemistry experts who are spoiling for such crazy talk. They may issue a sound whacking. You have been advised.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
sergar14

Thanks for the input guys! I will keep posted after I do make the fluid change on my transmission. I also will hope to break that myth too MACK89

@ White Knuckles - I clearly state that I added the "Transmission Fix" in the transmission and the "Full Synthetic Stabilizer in the engine. These two different products aren't what you would call "mixing". These products are simply additives to the current fluid the vehicle has. What I meant about "mixing" was to avoid "mixing" Royal Purple to replace the OEM for example. Those additives are simply there to make my fluids perform better as like your statement in blue as I quot... "Anything made can be made Better" that's just what I did, I made my fluids better. I am sure at one point or another you have used additives too! I also stated that I trust Lucas Products bc they GUARANTEE their product and stand by their product. If adding this additive to my transmission caused it to break... They will pay 100% for any damages or replace it with a new one... Verified BTW at 951-270-0154 - customer service. =)

Last edited by sergar14; 07-07-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
oops, didn't mean to make you defend a product you trust. The post was aimed at purists. These guys go nutty over factory references to any brand other then Castrol. Don't even speak of replacing lifetime trans fluid as the BMW Police will find you.

Seriously, I clearly understand rogues that dare to experiment with products. The gear cycling and temperature monitoring procedure described in the Bentley manual should not be ignored. The fluid simply has to be synthetic ranging from Dex III - Dex VI. My local dealer stocks bulk Dex VI for "refills". I used Redline D4 with two drains.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #14
albarran9

My Ride: E46, E53, E90
You might as well if your are needing to change the gasket and had the issues with the gears. I'm needed to change the speed sensor in mine and the solenoid valves. I'm going to change the oil since they are going to drain it to get the new speed sensor and solenoids in anyways, I figured I might as well. I'm going with Royal Purple in the Transmission and in the differential. I've read that some members on here have had good results with RP. I got a good deal on the fluids form Advanced Auto and it's going to be half of what the OEM fluid from the stealer costs. I found a good transmission shop that works on german cars and can rebuild them if necessary. The stealer wanted to replace the whole transmission with a refurb one and would't touch it or do a fluid flush. My dad's X5 had a worn out solenoid valve causing a hesitation going into drive from reverse on a cold start. The stealer only gave him the option to replace it with a refurb for $6 Grand and wanted nothing to do with it other than a transmission swap. One fluid flush and new solenoid valve later she's running like a champ. I'm just waiting for the parts to come in to take mine to the shop and get it done. They fixed my dad's X5 and it hasn't had a hick-up yet.
albarran9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Castrol import multi-vehicle ATF seems good, too.
Great job OP. Hope this thread helps to break urban myth
Old 07-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #16
sergar14

LOL White Knuckles from what I read it kinda sounded like I was put on the spot, that's why I explained myself further such as I miss understood your first post. Now that were on the same page. I know what you mean about them "purists" bc when I first asked about the transmission fluid they were like "OH NO! you cant do that, its lifetime fluid... or You need to have BMW do the work bc clearly you don't know what your doing" I say screw that! If I can do the job for under $200 with the same OEM parts rather than paying the quoted dealer price at $860 then why not save the extra money and put it back into my car for other maintenance parts it might need and keep it at tip top shape myself.

Well I will most deff keep you guys updated after my transmission fluid and filter change.

On another note; Just installed NGK Iridium spark plugs. So far the car feels a lot smoother with the idle and the acceleration increased as well. I will also keep posted on this issue since they are still new and of course there will be a difference. Just saying since I have read in other posts about people thinking of putting these in their car. So far So good!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #17
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I hate those purists...they're never satisfied!

But, fyi, you don't need to add a stabilizer to get ll-01 oil to last 10K miles, nor do you need a new filter halfway through.

I just did a change at 10K, maybe added a 1/2 qt total during that interval near the end. Filter didn't break, fluid was dark but doing its job and would keep doing it. You don't need anything additional.

Anyway, there are some here that are really tight, and others that are too loose. Best you find a middle ground, but make sure your back is always against a wall so you're aware of Furries if any are around (hide yo dog, btw!).

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #18
Kannigadu

My Ride: E46 318i
I changed my gearbox oil (318i E46 2005) used castrol 75w85 its still difficult to go in first gear have to shift in second or 3rd gear then it will go in 1st gear easily.what causes this and how can I get it sorted out
Kannigadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 AM   #19
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S
I used Redline when I changed mine, night and day difference, only 60k miles on the clock too.
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
boltonic

My Ride: 2005 325cic
Over a year ago I brought my car to the shop I go to get my trans fluid change and they said they couldn't it since they need special equipment. I forgot exactly what they said. They said I don't need to change it since BMW recommends not to. I'm at 80k now and really feel like I should. I'm curious to see how much the stealerships cost to change.
boltonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, fluid, lucas oil, skipping, transmission