E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
computerwhiz1

My Ride: 2000 323i Sedan
Do these headlights need adjustment? (Halogen Reflectors)

I know that halogen headlights are nothing compared to projectors, but come on. I have driven other cars with halogen headlights and they preform much better. I have had some people tell me that BMW headlights are made to point low from the factory so people don't shine them to high and blind other drivers, but man, these headlights aren't good for much. I end up driving with my brights on most of the time (when appropriate of course). So, look at the picture below and let me know what you think. As good as it can get, or needs adjustment? I can post up better pictures if needed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 02, 8 03 26 PM.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	411399
computerwhiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
afstud

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6-speed
please post a much better pick and one thats the correct orientation, but from what i can see, id say yes, and maybe the bulbs arent sitting right in the housing... mine werent when i got it and now there perfect.
afstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
computerwhiz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by afstud View Post
please post a much better pick and one thats the correct orientation, but from what i can see, id say yes, and maybe the bulbs arent sitting right in the housing... mine werent when i got it and now there perfect.
I'll post up a good pic tonight, once it is dark again. And Im 99% sure the bulbs are seated correctly as I recently changed them out and everything seems to be locked into place good.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Bad lenses can affect light output
Old 08-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
jcns

My Ride: California
if your lights were straight before replacing the bulbs, your new bulbs are not seated correctly.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Make sure they're seated, get new lens for $80 (think I got mine from rmeuropean...perfect fit).

And, you know, they're adjustable.

Set up against a wall at night on level surface and adjust them as best you can...other drivers will let you know how you did!

You know those white plastic gears you see? Turn in the center with allen wrench. In front is up and down, on the side is right and left.

HTH

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
computerwhiz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Make sure they're seated, get new lens for $80 (think I got mine from rmeuropean...perfect fit).

And, you know, they're adjustable.

Set up against a wall at night on level surface and adjust them as best you can...other drivers will let you know how you did!

You know those white plastic gears you see? Turn in the center with allen wrench. In front is up and down, on the side is right and left.

HTH
The lenses look to be in pretty good shape. They are not oxidized and they only have a few marks on the from road debris or something. I'm planning a big weekend of DIY this weekend, so I will see what I can do as far as adjusting the headlights then. The only problem is the instructions i found required one to back their car of 25 feet from a wall on a level surface. Such locations seem to be in short supply around where I live.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerwhiz1 View Post
The lenses look to be in pretty good shape. They are not oxidized and they only have a few marks on the from road debris or something. I'm planning a big weekend of DIY this weekend, so I will see what I can do as far as adjusting the headlights then. The only problem is the instructions i found required one to back their car of 25 feet from a wall on a level surface. Such locations seem to be in short supply around where I live.
You can use a home depot wall; there will be flat places around. Also, although there is an exact center of the light pattern, I also know it can be a pain to get exact. Again, just let other drivers tell you when it's too high or wide!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
computerwhiz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
if your lights were straight before replacing the bulbs, your new bulbs are not seated correctly.
They have been messed up even before i changed the bulbs.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
afstud

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6-speed
the bulbs can be seated two different ways and will seem like there fit properly but there is only ONE correct way to seat them in the socket, the notch of the H7 bulb (where it has the square part on the metal base) that should be in between the two prongs that are further apart, when i took mine out they were the opposite and looked just like how yours do. and when the bulbs are mounted correctly they should make a very nice cutoff with a slant on the passenger side like this __/
afstud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjustment, halogen, headlights