E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
K35H

My Ride: 320CD Sport
Smile Xenon not working :( help please

Hi guys,

I've brought my new BMW E46 320 CD Sport on the weekend and all is great.

The issue i'm having is as follows:

When I brought the car the xenons were working with no issues, then a couple of days later I jumped in the car for a spin. When I turned the Xenons on the drivers side one did'nt work. So I tuen the lights on and off to see if that would reslove it but no good. I tried the lights for the next couple of days and no good I realised that I would have to swap the bulb, ballast or ignitor from the passenger side to determine what needed replacing.

BUT...when I got home one day it was dark so I thought i'd use the follow me home feature. So i flashed the beams and out I got to discover that both the xenons were on??!! I was very confused at this moment. So, I got back into the car as I thought the xenons were working but when I turned the headlight on I had the same issue.

So, In short, my driver side xenon doesnt work but when I use the follow me home feature it does work.

Could someone help me with this issue, I would be most greatful.

Thanks
K35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
DetroitEE

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by K35H View Post
Hi guys,

I've brought my new BMW E46 320 CD Sport on the weekend and all is great.

The issue i'm having is as follows:

When I brought the car the xenons were working with no issues, then a couple of days later I jumped in the car for a spin. When I turned the Xenons on the drivers side one did'nt work. So I tuen the lights on and off to see if that would reslove it but no good. I tried the lights for the next couple of days and no good I realised that I would have to swap the bulb, ballast or ignitor from the passenger side to determine what needed replacing.

BUT...when I got home one day it was dark so I thought i'd use the follow me home feature. So i flashed the beams and out I got to discover that both the xenons were on??!! I was very confused at this moment. So, I got back into the car as I thought the xenons were working but when I turned the headlight on I had the same issue.

So, In short, my driver side xenon doesnt work but when I use the follow me home feature it does work.

Could someone help me with this issue, I would be most greatful.

Thanks
I would start with your inital idea of swapping the ballast from the passenger side, this will immediately tell you whether your problem is with the ballast. I suspect that the problem is indeed the ballast, since the bulb will turn on when you use the follow me home feature.

As far as WHY they will turn on when the car is off, using the follow me home feature....my only guess would be the fact that the ballast is seeing a different input voltage when the car is on off as opposed to when the car is on, and something is messed up with the ballast where it won't fire when the input voltage is above or below X value. This doesn't sound like it makes sense, but it's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

Last edited by DetroitEE; 08-11-2011 at 06:51 AM.
DetroitEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
AquaRelliux

My Ride: 330ci 03 M-sport
Did u try swapping the ballasts from the drivers side to the passanger one and see if the problem moves with the ballast. If it does just buy a new one they are not expensive, also try the bulb and swap it around.
AquaRelliux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
K35H

Hey DetriotEE and AquaRelliux,

Thanks for your replies. I shall swap the ballasts over tonight and see if that makes a difference.

To remove and swap the ballasts would I have to disconnect the battery to be safe of can I just remove and swap ballasts

thanks
Old 08-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
DetroitEE

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by K35H View Post
Hey DetriotEE and AquaRelliux,

Thanks for your replies. I shall swap the ballasts over tonight and see if that makes a difference.

To remove and swap the ballasts would I have to disconnect the battery to be safe of can I just remove and swap ballasts

thanks
No need to disconnect the battery, just make sure the car is turned off.
DetroitEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
K35H

Ok, thanks. I will have a go at this tonight and update you as to how I got on.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
K35H

Hey Guys, I've sorted the problem, it was the Ignitor not the ballast but even though the xenons both work now the bulb error light on the dash is still on?!

Any ideas why this is?

Tags
ballast, bulb, igniters, xenon, xenons