E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
tomtom34

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i ZHP
Replace Regulator or Motor??

So ive done a little research on it, i think im experiencing a worn out motor for my drivers side front window. Whenever i roll up my window up it rolls significantly slower then my back windows, and for the duration of a automatic roll, it continues to get slower until it comes to a complete stop, anywhere from half way up to maybe an inch or two from the top. im looking for a second opinion on this and any insight would be helpful.

Last edited by tomtom34; 08-12-2011 at 07:54 PM.
tomtom34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
I would say motor...
Same prob here but i rarely roll the window anyhow

-j
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom34 View Post
So ive done a little research on it, i think im experiencing a worn out motor for my drivers side front window. Whenever i roll up my window up it rolls significantly slower then my back windows, and for the duration of a automatic roll, it continues to get slower until it comes to a complete stop, anywhere from half way up to maybe an inch or two from the top. im looking for a second opinion on this and any insight would be helpful.
If you're not hearing nasty noises, then you might be lucky and get by nothing but a good cleaning of the tracks, but I don't think you'll get that lucky.

It could be something that the zip tie fix would fix...might be one arm of the regulator is loose and thus hanging up because it's not going up straight.

The motor is working, and I bet it goes down fine...and I bet if you lifted it up while it's going up, it'd go up all the way. That sounds like just regulator to me, and iirc, that was about what I had on pass side that I did fix with zip tie about 3 years ago. You might get that lucky too!

Regulator is an easy fix if it comes to that...just remember where everything is when you take it apart.

Also...a hint on drivers door. Loosen up the wires on the mirror switch...it's a pain getting it reconnected with the way it's factory wired...the connectors stay down and you'd need tweezers and an hour to hook it up. Don't ask how I know! I just know stuff!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
tomtom34

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i ZHP
sounds good man and your right it rolls down just as fast as the other ones and sometimes i gotta lift it up, thanks for the advice ill open up the door and take a look
tomtom34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, regulator, slow, window