E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Watch my car overheat during AutoX, in HD -- What NOT to do!

I mentioned in another thread my car overheated during an AutoX, 3 days after doing my cooling system refresh. But now you can watch it in Hi Definition video on YouTube. (Plus you can criticize my driving technique.) You'll see that everything is fine in the first run (that was actually my 6th run of the day) but it overheats halfway through the next run.

0:48 Start first run (6th of day)
3:45 Start 2nd run (7th of day), temp gauge looks normal
4:30 Temp needle rising towards red
4:44 Red idiot light goes on
4:45 Idiot fails to notice (watching the cones)
5:27 Red light goes off (why?)
7:38 Silly driver finally notices overheat and shuts down engine.

When I open the hood, steam and coolant were coming out of the ET cap. Ended up getting towed home, later found new aftermarket thermostat was stuck shut. Put old BMW thermostat back and now it's gone through 500 miles of driving and 2 more AutoX events and doesn't overheat. Knock on wood! I am SO ASHAMED that I didn't see the red light and failed all the fanatics who have warned us not to drive with the temp gauge is in the red. My car ran in the "red zone" a full 3 minutes before I noticed and turned it off. I'm only posting the video now that it appears my head gasket survived intact.

So besides the horror of watching me ignore an overheat, a question! Why did the red light go off? It's not burned out because it still lights up whenever the key is turned to "on." Maybe the thermostat temporarily opened up a bit at the end of my run? Is there a coolant temp high enough to peg the needle in the red but low enough not to turn on the red light?

And here's my car back at Qualcomm Stadium last Saturday--not overheating. Got body roll?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QualcommAutoX13Aug2011_noplate.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	413232  

Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 08-16-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added body roll comment
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Sounds like you are the perfect candidate for the 'Coolant Snitch!' Glad you survived through this, LNC.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti

Awesome.

I'm bummed I couldn't make it to the one this past saturday.

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I didn't see the video, but I suspect there is a temp where the light goes on, and you were at that temp...and then dropped below it enough that it went off...just like you thought.

Glad you're good, but keep a close eye on coolant level anyway.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
later found new aftermarket thermostat was stuck shut.
It was that piece of crap MTC one, right?
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
ZHPRegistry
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: was a bit tiresome
As another member mentioned, you are a perfect candidate for this product. Don't kick yourself in the head for not noticing the temp climb up. 1st off, the temp gauge is heavily buffered. You may in fact be in a situation when the coolant is excessively hot but the gauge hasn't begun its climb. This device is effective because it has no buffering, it reads off the sensor line with no digitized post processing. I (as well as few others) have been running this device since yearly this year with absolutely no adverse effects. Feel free to shoot me questions you might have.

http://www.zhpregistry.net/Tech/CoolantSnitch.aspx

Last edited by ZHPRegistry; 08-16-2011 at 09:35 PM.
ZHPRegistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
That sucks man, I know exactly what you were feeling when you saw that needle up there.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
LivesNearCostco

Thanks for the support, everyone. Yes I could benefit from a CoolantSnitch. Yes it was the aluminum bodied MTC thermostat; while waiting for the tow truck and trying to bleed the system, the heater circuit on the MTC thermostat also blew with a "pop" and small puff of smoke.

I felt guilty enough about it that I just changed the oil ahead of schedule, using a BMW approved Total Quartz oil, whereas before I was running Penzoil Ultra synthetic., which is supposed to be good stuff, but is not BMW LL approved. Not that the type of oil has anything to do with the cooling system, but it took away a little of my guilt.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
I know on some thermostats, they have a "fail-safe" built in. Where when it reaches a certain temp, a peice within the thermostat melts and allows it to fully open. Once this occurs they will no longer close and must be replaced.

Does anybody know if our BMW thermostats are like that? I've replaced mine, but never looked at it that closely.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
It's hard to believe that anyone could build a worse thermostat than Behr and Wahler but MTC seems to pull it off.

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl View Post
It's hard to believe that anyone could build a worse thermostat than Behr and Wahler but MTC seems to pull it off.
How is it bad? Because it isn't machined out of solid block of titanium and/or isn't autocrosser fanboy bf.c stancewerkz approved? Just curious here...

OE is the SHIZ

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
How is it bad? Because it isn't machined out of solid block of titanium and/or isn't autocrosser fanboy bf.c stancewerkz approved? Just curious here...

OE is the SHIZ
I sense Mango slowly becoming a lover of Rap.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
I sense Mango slowly becoming a lover of Rap.
Hip hop. That was over one year ago. So if were true, I'd already be into it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #14
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
You clearly hassled the Hoff when you weren't supposed to.
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
LivesNearCostco

+1, I will never hassle the Hoff again!

Usually when I hear about a BMW thermostat failing, it fails open, which reduces engine efficiency but does not risk overheating. Maybe MTC had a different philosophy...
Old 08-21-2011, 02:25 AM   #16
LivesNearCostco

Made it through another AutoX today without overheating, making 3 AutoX events in 8 days on the good old thermostat, which apparently I shouldn't have replaced so soon. Still driving around with a new Wahler thermostat (exchanged for defective thermostat) in the trunk, along with a gallon of distilled water and my tools, in case I need to change it again. But since I'm fully prepared for thermostat failure, if something goes wrong no doubt it will be anything but the thermostat...

Today's AutoX was in Marina, CA on Motorsports Reunion weekend. So close to Laguna Seca, the classic racecars, and BMW Festorics, and didn't see any of it. Instead spent the whole day writing peoples' run times on sticky notes, taking a nap in my E46, and driving circles and slaloms around a windy aircraft parking lot 12 times. Last night I adjusted my rear camber in a hotel parking lot. At the last alignment it was -1.5 degrees on each side. No idea what it is now, except it's more negative than -1.5, hopefully -1.8 degrees. Did it help? Not sure, but no spins for me today, whereas I managed 3 spins in the last two AutoX events.

The silly things I do when my family is out of town...
Old 08-21-2011, 03:04 AM   #17
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
This is one of the reasons I'm considering selling my car and picking up an AP2 Honda S2000.

MTC thermostat or not; It is a possibility on a e46.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 08-21-2011 at 03:08 AM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #18
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
Mine was stuck open and I didn't know about it until winter time. Must have been driving like that for a year because once I changed that, the new pressure burst my expansion tank.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #19
OneOfaKindTrini

My Ride: 540i w/ 3 Pedals..
.. Wow and it kept going.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #20
LivesNearCostco

The car kept going? The thread? The thermostat? The dumb driver?

I was worried about a damaged head or head gasket and thought about doing a compression test myself or getting a leak-down test. My indie suggested it takes more than 3 minutes in the red zone to blow the HG. If my red light was accurate, I was dangerously overheated for only 43 seconds.

Tags
autox, coolant, overheat, qualcomm, thermostat