E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
silver318i

My Ride: 2004 BMW 318i
Samsung Galaxy S2 bluetooth phonebook problem

Hi guys I have an MKIV nav unit with factory bluetooth. I recently connected my new SGS2 to it with much difficulty as I discovered that the only way to transfer contacts was to send them as contact cards during the pairing process (connecting and making calls presented no problems). Here is where it gets weird, when the phone is left alone for a couple of minutes in lock mode (blank screen bluetooth still on) it can still make phone calls etc however the phonebook goes blank and "PHONEBOOK EMPTY" appears. My only solution is to restart my nav unit every couple of mintues which isn't practical during driving :S
Some say its my phone not polling my nav unit enough What can the problem be and how can I fix it?

Cheers.

Last edited by silver318i; 08-27-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: MKIV not an MKIII Sat nav
silver318i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
silver318i

I've took a look ay my module and found out from the model number that it's a third generation unit. Was grappling with whether or not I should upgrade to a thirteen generation unit but decided not to on the basis that nobody can guarantee my bluetooth to have full functionality with my car.

Edit: the phonebook goes empty after 5 minutes, can it just be my phone not polling my bluetooth after 5 minutes?

Last edited by silver318i; 08-27-2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: more information
Old 08-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
SpoonerDee

My Ride: 2005 E46
I just recently started using my galaxy s I with my cars blue tooth and never have an issue. No idea why, maybe the phone just disconnects it self after a certain amount of time when idle.

Maybe check your phones settings to see if it powers down the blue tooth when the phone isnt active?

Or try setting the phone up so the screen never powers off (unless you lock it) and see if it still disconnects after 5 min.
SpoonerDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
silver318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonerDee View Post
I just recently started using my galaxy s I with my cars blue tooth and never have an issue. No idea why, maybe the phone just disconnects it self after a certain amount of time when idle.

Maybe check your phones settings to see if it powers down the blue tooth when the phone isnt active?

Or try setting the phone up so the screen never powers off (unless you lock it) and see if it still disconnects after 5 min.
Just curious, what generation Bluetooth module do you have?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
SpoonerDee

My Ride: 2005 E46
I honestly have no idea. My car is an 05, soooo whatever generation they used during that year. I didn't look at the sticker for that info, just the BT pin code.
SpoonerDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
Gordo_GT

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
I had a similar issue when I had a galaxy s device. I fixed the issue by going to a Droid X. It seems to be software related. If replacing the device is not an option, you might be better off contacting Samsung and requesting to complete a product issue form. Issues found in those forms are what get addressed in maintenance updates by manufacturers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
Old 09-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
silver318i

Bump
Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
toffa

My Ride: 320ci
Send a message via MSN to toffa
Hello,

have you found a solution?
Have you tried this?

http://www.android-rsap.com/

This is a simply app that allows your phone to pass the contacts to the BMW ULF. It is designed for HTC and Samsung phones.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Shonky

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3
I've never had success with my HTC HD2 running Android or my Samsung SGS III with my 5th generation ULF. Making/receiving calls mostly works and I've seen the phonebook transfer ok *once* on the SGS III. I also have a problem when I start the car where it often connects to the phone, disconnects, reconnects maybe 10 or more times before staying connected.

I'm in a similar position regarding whether it's worth the $400-500 for the 13th gen ULF (maybe get $100 back on the 5th gen).

I'll give that Remote SIM Access a go but other similar sorts of apps have never worked. Edit: Damn it needs root for some reason and I think that means wiping my phone....

Last edited by Shonky; 11-26-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
silver318i

Did the RSAP thing and it didn't work I'm afraid. From the research I've done the best and only solution is to buy the most up to date module you can find (13th).
Old 11-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
Shonky

Hmmm... but then I just tried an old HTC Legend I had lying around running Android 2.2 and it seems to work just fine with the phonebook and seems to connect instantly. Annoying that my much newer Android phones just don't work (tm).... sigh
Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
toffa

Which one is your newer phone? I would like to buy an Android phone and I would like to see my phonebook on the display 16/9
Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
Shonky

SGS III is my current phone with 4.0.4 Android.

My older HTC HD2 running Jelly Bean 4.1 doesn't work.

An HTC Legend prepay I have lying around with just old Android 2.2 works just fine but it's not a phone I'd normally use.

A 13th gen ULF module might be the magic bullet, but I'm not real keen on paying $500 odd to fix a software problem.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
toffa

Any new about it?

I bought a S2 (4.0.3 ICS) and I'm ok with pairing but I cannot transfer the phonebook. Any suggestions?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #15
Shonky

Only real thing I can suggest and I don't know for sure will work is a newer generation ULF module.