E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
e46stallion

My Ride: fwd
Send a message via AIM to e46stallion
-Official FILM Thread-

Hey Guys

So i thought i would make this thread since i know a few of you guys like to shoot film. My buddy just gave me an old Nikon 35mm film camera and i just went and bought a roll of Portra 400 that ill put through it later today when the light is nice. Im pretty sure im going to become obsessed with shooting film just for fun now

So i thought we could use this thread to talk about film that we like to shoot with, cameras, etc and post strictly film shots that we take...

<3 Ev
Old 10-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
JSanders

My Ride: Breaks too often
Good thread idea.

What's the best way to get your film photo's on the computer, DSLR? The photo scanners we have at school only scans up to 8.5x11.

Last edited by JSanders; 10-17-2011 at 02:17 PM.
JSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
JRos

My Ride: SL500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Good thread idea.

What's the best way to get your film photo's on the computer, DSLR? The photo scanners we have at school only scans up to 8.5x11.
My school has this rig thing set up that has a 5DMKII hanging above that can take a picture of your picture. It needs to be precisely parallel or your picture will come out distorted so I wouldn't recommend doing this on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
Okay I'm intrigued.

Why is it so much better/why do you freaks like it so much?
A lot of people will tell you it creates a certain 'look' that can't be replicated with digital. I personally don't want that look anyways, so films not for me.

I had a huge post typed up but figured you would have no idea what I was talking about, so here's the simplified version. What film did for me was make me appreciate the tools that are available today. I would spend many many hours developing film and printing in the darkroom. I had to do everything myself because it was a required part of my grade. I guess for you guys you could just have someone else do it for you. The cost of film and paper quickly added up, especially if you were like me and took 8+ sheets to get a perfect print. A sheet of paper was roughly $.75 and a roll of film was roughly $7. I feel like this part held me back. Because I was reluctant to spend too much money, I was hesitant to shoot and waste my film. With digital you can just shoot anything you want since it's essentially 'free' (minus the shutter life of course). Then there's the really annoying part of waiting to see your picture. You'd crank out a roll, hoping you did fine, only to find that 28 out of your 36 pictures sucked. Now you have to start the whole process all over again.

Compare that to now. You shoot your picture, and it's there on the back of your camera. You go home and you can immediately view it on your computer. If your pictures happened to suck, no biggy, you can possibly save it with programs. You start to appreciate what you have and it kind of changes the way you approach shooting. It has for me anyways.

When purchasing your camera make sure you buy one that's compatible with your lens. I made the mistake of buying a camera that didn't have an aperture setting on camera, so you needed a lens with an aperture ring, which mine didn't have. The newer film cameras should have an aperture setting though.
JRos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
e46stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRos View Post
My school has this rig thing set up that has a 5DMKII hanging above that can take a picture of your picture. It needs to be precisely parallel or your picture will come out distorted so I wouldn't recommend doing this on your own.

A lot of people will tell you it creates a certain 'look' that can't be replicated with digital. I personally don't want that look anyways, so films not for me.

I had a huge post typed up but figured you would have no idea what I was talking about, so here's the simplified version. What film did for me was make me appreciate the tools that are available today. I would spend many many hours developing film and printing in the darkroom. I had to do everything myself because it was a required part of my grade. I guess for you guys you could just have someone else do it for you. The cost of film and paper quickly added up, especially if you were like me and took 8+ sheets to get a perfect print. A sheet of paper was roughly $.75 and a roll of film was roughly $7. I feel like this part held me back. Because I was reluctant to spend too much money, I was hesitant to shoot and waste my film. With digital you can just shoot anything you want since it's essentially 'free' (minus the shutter life of course). Then there's the really annoying part of waiting to see your picture. You'd crank out a roll, hoping you did fine, only to find that 28 out of your 36 pictures sucked. Now you have to start the whole process all over again.

Compare that to now. You shoot your picture, and it's there on the back of your camera. You go home and you can immediately view it on your computer. If your pictures happened to suck, no biggy, you can possibly save it with programs. You start to appreciate what you have and it kind of changes the way you approach shooting. It has for me anyways.

When purchasing your camera make sure you buy one that's compatible with your lens. I made the mistake of buying a camera that didn't have an aperture setting on camera, so you needed a lens with an aperture ring, which mine didn't have. The newer film cameras should have an aperture setting though.
good point.

but for me it is basically the opposite. i never shot film really before so for me i like the fact that you dont see the photo right away, it makes it exciting...sure it can get expensive but i really only plan on shooting for fun...i always have my digital slr.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46stallion View Post
good point.

but for me it is basically the opposite. i never shot film really before so for me i like the fact that you dont see the photo right away, it makes it exciting...sure it can get expensive but i really only plan on shooting for fun...i always have my digital slr.
More often than not, if I want to get something on film and I have time to think about it, I'll shoot digital first to get the right exposure then swap bodies and do it again in film.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
JRos

My Ride: SL500
Quote:
good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride365 View Post
That's definitely part of the appeal for me... the anticipation, the unpredictability, the reward. I can shoot 100 digital photos, take it back to the computer to review and just think, ehh, and move on. With film you go buy the film, you load it into the camera with care, you go shooting, if you don't finish the current roll you wait until the next time you get to shoot, you remove the film with care, you drive it to the developer, YOU LEAVE IT, you come back later (days if it's a custom shop), and while the person is ringing up your total, you're tearing into the envelope as calmly as you can to see what prize you got. It's just different.

Costs definitely add up. That along with your extra time and effort make you more selective with your shooting. With digital I get about 10% "success" rate, meaning shots that I'm proud of... and I'm a conservative shooter. With most rolls of film it's more like 50-75% success rate for me. It's definitely influenced how I shoot digital. I think I have a much more discerning eye because of my experience with film. I never just rattle off shots like I'm on a slot machine hoping to get lucky.
We all have such different ways of seeing it. To me, waiting for film photos to come out isn't like unwrapping a present, it's like waiting to find out how badly I screwed up, because you can't do anything to the picture. Digital is actually more alike to opening presents for me. I love knowing I can go home and play around with all the pictures I took. Usually when I go shoot I don't sleep that following night lol.

I actually like the idea of rattling off shots. I've gotten quite a few decent shots that way. I'm not saying that should be the way you shoot, but it's not like it's a bad thing. For me rattling off shots would be something like street photography or candid stuff so maybe my definition is a bit different than yours.

e46stallion, those color prints came out great. I've never shot in color before, just b&w.
JRos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Film? What is that? Like, a type of magic?
Gheybe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
e46stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Good thread idea.

What's the best way to get your film photo's on the computer, DSLR? The photo scanners we have at school only scan up to 8.5x11.
i just plan on getting my stuff done at costco. apparently the scans are decent quality and it isnt very expensive. since im really only going to be shooting for fun im not too worried abt getting the absolute best quality...

Quote:
hahahaha. you better get used to the idea of film
Old 10-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
lmyamen

My Ride: 00 328i
Quote:
Ancient form of memory card so I hear.

lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
E46Moonlight

My Ride: 2000 323i
I took these a few years back with my old Canon.

I have more somewhere, just need to look for them...
E46Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
I have a Rebel K2 that came with my original Digital Rebel that I'll shoot with every now and then but I don't use it very often. I've never really understood what makes a good film camera better than others. Does it not boil down to the glass and type of film?

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
e46stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I have a Rebel K2 that came with my original Digital Rebel that I'll shoot with every now and then but I don't use it very often. I've never really understood what makes a good film camera better than others. Does it not boil down to the glass and type of film?
im not sure either...the camera my buddy gave me can honestly be found for abt $20 on KEH and its still quite nice. has autofocus, spot metering, etc. honestly i never even thought film cameras had metering for the longest time haha

im sure a lot of it comes down to glass/film tho. i looked up photos taken by the camera i have on flickr and they look really nice when paired with a good lens..

this is the camera. a Nikon N8008s
Old 10-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
JSanders

My Ride: Breaks too often
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
As far as 35mm slr goes, it all boils down to glass, film, and dark room techniques.

Last edited by JSanders; 10-17-2011 at 05:49 PM.
JSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
TayloMade[07]

My Ride: '12 Frontier Pro-4x
sub'd.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
Maybe I'll buy a cheap one

500px

Last edited by s3th; 10-19-2011 at 05:18 PM.
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #16
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Dude I know so little about film, it's not even funny. Definitely want to learn though.

SUBSCRIBED FOR NUDES.
Gheybe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
poorkid650

My Ride: Alfa Romeos!
just got a nikon fe-1!!!! ill have some prints ready by friday
poorkid650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
Just one of those days
film FTW!! It's fun to shoot and even more fun to scan! I get my negs from walgreens, then go home n scan my ish...Need to pick up some film from and start shooting.

Last edited by Breezy; 10-17-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #19
e46stallion

Breezy what film are you using?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #20
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
Quote:
Breezy what film are you using?
That was shot with kodak provia with a 35L on a canon elan IIe. I like the provia, looking for some new film to try.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote