E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
BNagy330ci

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZSP
Going With a Muffler Delete, Have Questions though.

Hey Everyone, So i have searched through every muffler delete thread on here and have come to the conclusion that i am most definitely going to go with the delete. However I cant find tips out there to save my life! Most shops don't carry 3" exhaust tips in Federal Way Washington, I've tried to narrow my search result to Exhaust manufactures such as Magnaflow, Borla, Flow master, etc. (brands you would put on a BMW). However All the tips with a 2.50" inlet and 3.00" Outlet are like 12.0" long Which is like for American cars.

Where can i find the Tips to Complete this Mod For a nice Sound With a Nice Look?

Also, any input on Headers will be appreciated. I have been looking into doing this for a while, i have a Dinan stage 2 ECU (optimizing Intake and Exhaust efforts) but im stuck with the exhaust. I ws looking to spend about 300 on replicated headers for my 2005 330ci but i cant find them, and NO to ebay headers they are cheap, welds are crap, and fitment issues are always mentioned.

ALSO, NO IM NOT LOOKING TO SPENDING OVER $500 ON A FULL EXHAUST SYSTEM. Racing isn't my goal let alone making my car a "race car", i do however enjoy speeding at times (who doesn't).

Please "help" any way possible.

Thanks
BNagy330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
JaYaRe

My Ride: goes, Brroom Brooom
i got my tips on ebay, 2.5 inlet to a dual 3.5 outlet and its about 12 inches long
Old 11-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
BNagy330ci

How do they look? Alot of Users say have negative remarks toward 3.5 because they "supposedly look goofy" . I havent seen any to give my 2cents. if you have a pic please post.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
maurer

My Ride: 04 Coupe
Why would you want to make such noise on the street with such a slow car? Your going to look like one of those hondas with a 5 inch exhaust tip make a sh*t ton of racket and barely moving cuz your car is slow. I'd keep your muffler on if i were you, just my .02
maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
Ivanhoe

My Ride: BMW 330 xi 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurer View Post
Why would you want to make such noise on the street with such a slow car? Your going to look like one of those hondas with a 5 inch exhaust tip make a sh*t ton of racket and barely moving cuz your car is slow. I'd keep your muffler on if i were you, just my .02
Do you think a 330i is a slow car ?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanhoe View Post
Do you think a 330i is a slow car ?
YES.

Muffler delete is ghetto. Your car used to be a $50k car back in the day and now any 16 year old retard can buy it to chop off his muffler so he can blend in with all the honda boys.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
maurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
YES.

Muffler delete is ghetto. Your car used to be a $50k car back in the day and now any 16 year old retard can buy it to chop off his muffler so he can blend in with all the honda boys.
this ^
Old 11-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
maxsideburn

My Ride: '01 325i
It's not a "fast" car.
maxsideburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
BNagy330ci

Since i havent the clue which idea you are referring to, ill guess its the Header idea, and i agree with loud and slow but eventually im planning on supercharging it for fun, and you shouldnt own a BMW if you can actually compare a BMW side by side to a Honda.

As for a muffler delete it has an amazing sound, not loud and not silent. you tube it before responding to people on a whim.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
BNagy330ci

Agreed 330's dont run a 13 sec or anything but they are faster than about half the cars out there. Last year i ran a 14.6 1/4 to see how the chip helped and i would say that is very acceptable.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
maxsideburn

My Ride: '01 325i
not slow either.

330 (and 325) falls firmly in the "quick" category.
maxsideburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
BNagy330ci

oh well maurer is dumb. back to the topic.

Any Thoughts toward my predicament would be awesome

Also Who knows of a Decent Muffler for a great price? i was looking at the Euro spec one but i like the sound of the Muffler delete. Thoughts?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
Dirty330i

My Ride: 04 330i, 07 Z4M
Not sure on muffler but for headers I'd recommend Stett Performance Headers. I bought a set and granted had my guy install them but they required no modification and made a nice noticeable difference!

Although if you are planning on doing headers I'd recommend them BEFORE the muffler delete as many people have said it is way too loud with both... Hope that helped
Cheers
Dirty330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
because in stock form the 330 has two resonators AND a muffler, removing the muffler will still be a nice deep growl than a shriek of a honda with headers and no catalytic converter.

that is why most performance mufflers for the 330 usually has a pipe that removes the 2nd resonator( closest to exhaust) as chanign out muffler only on a 330 willl not get deep and loud as most would want it.

now headers, thats a mod that has a hard curve as the rasp is sometimes hard to muffle without resonators.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
BNagy330ci

Wow! I never saw those yet, The picture looks like a M3 bolt pattern.. however How much did they charge you to get them installed?

Has anyone had headers installed? How much do they typically run for installation (ball park). Will most shops actually install them given that they will be removing your cats?
Also i have emissions in January, Will it pass?

Last edited by BNagy330ci; 11-03-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #16
oAllElseFailo

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNagy330ci View Post
Wow! I never saw those yet, The picture looks like a M3 bolt pattern.. however How much did they charge you to get them installed?

Has anyone had headers installed? How much do they typically run for installation (ball park). Will most shops actually install them given that they will be removing your cats?
Also i have emissions in January, Will it pass?
Emissions law is different by state so who knows, without cats though it'll fail. I know in CA even if you have after market cats it still fails.

My car is just headers w/ 2 resonators that eliminated most of the rasp but it's still there..

Last edited by oAllElseFailo; 11-03-2011 at 05:03 PM.
oAllElseFailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #17
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
you're looking at about 500-800 dollars to put on headers at a local shop.

i used to have these sick technik headers on my 330 and those went for about 1200$ plus a few hundred to install from master zolti.

lots of name brand like supsersprint headers will cost about the same.

most poeple seem happy with $100 ebay headers, but just know that unless you do it yourself, youre installing a cheaper imitation 100$ piece for 700 or so dollars.

Getting headers will def give you alot of midrange torque, but the sound is hard to cancel out,( i used a large azz resonator) and emission hard to pass as the headers will throw a catalytic inefficiency code which will not pass most state inspection.

the check engine light however can be turned off by software.

The rogue DMS muffler removed the factory 2nd resonator, then I got headers and it was too raspy too loud..wayyyy too loud

so I welded in these HUGE silencers where the old 2nd resonators were and it was just throaty enough without the outrageous rasp and volume, just enough to hear the compressor whooshing.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #18
Dirty330i

My Ride: 04 330i, 07 Z4M
The Stett Headers were around $400 plus $400 to have installed. They sound great and required no modding to get to fit. That being said you will NOT pass emissions so you may have to scrap the idea or wait until after your test and reswap the stock ones in two years or whenever you have to re-test.

They were worth it to me but I no longer have to do emissions testing because I've moved further north Also I've noticed no rasp and very very little drone though I've got both resonators and the bmw performance exhaust...
Dirty330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #19
maurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNagy330ci View Post
oh well maurer is dumb. back to the topic.

Any Thoughts toward my predicament would be awesome

Also Who knows of a Decent Muffler for a great price? i was looking at the Euro spec one but i like the sound of the Muffler delete. Thoughts?
Haha not dumb, just experienced. I'm used to driving 11 sec daily drivers. Don't see the point of spending alot of money for a small amount of power and run 13's on a good day(with a tail wind)
Old 11-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #20
Jrob1

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
I've got ceramic coated headers from Bimmerbrakes and a Rogue IKON exhaust and the sound is perfect. A very nice deep throaty growl without the raspy ricey sound.

2003 Jet Black 330i
- Headers; Rogue Ikon Exhaust; 3.46 Diff; UUC SwayBarbarians; StrutBarbarian; Evo III SSK w/DSSR and Weighted Knob; UUC Lightweight Flywheel and Performance Organic Clutch; AFE Intake; MTechII Bumper; Dinan Stage II Software; 8000k HID Fogs, Predator Orion; M3 Lip Spoiler; ACS Roof Spoiler; Beyern Mesh 19" Wheels w/Hankook V12 Tires; LED smoked lights; Tri Stitch M3 Wheel; LED Interior Lighting; DICE
Jrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebay, exhaust, headers, muffler delete, tips