E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
peter.210

My Ride: 318i 2001
2001 318i sunroof

My sunroof is jamming up. It can only tilt up and down and doesnt go in to open up fully.

Some people have told me i need a new cassette?

Has anyone had the same problem or something similar and if so does anyone know of any good places to get it fixed?

Thanks

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
rodsfromday

My Ride: 323CI
Is it level when tilted up?

German Engineering at its best
rodsfromday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
peter.210

Not 100%. And when its closed its not level. One corner is raised up a little bit. I think one rail/side is stuffed
Old 11-06-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
fgin

My Ride: e46 facelift
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.210 View Post
Not 100%. And when its closed its not level. One corner is raised up a little bit. I think one rail/side is stuffed
Put some clear pics up. take a few from inside as well. Otherwise its hard to see what you're on about.

When I got my car the shade was not moving properly. I removed the glass and had a closer look and was able to fix it by replacing the plastic guides that run along the track. That was in 2008 and I open or tilt the roof almost daily unless its freezing cold. Have had no issues what so ever. I do regularly spray the tracks with lube which is a must if you want to maintain the roof mechanism.
fgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
peter.210

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgin View Post
Put some clear pics up. take a few from inside as well. Otherwise its hard to see what you're on about.

When I got my car the shade was not moving properly. I removed the glass and had a closer look and was able to fix it by replacing the plastic guides that run along the track. That was in 2008 and I open or tilt the roof almost daily unless its freezing cold. Have had no issues what so ever. I do regularly spray the tracks with lube which is a must if you want to maintain the roof mechanism.
ill take some pics tomorrow and post them up tomorrow. and my shade, ive taken that out. that completely came off the rails lol.
peter.210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
laurita_31

My Ride: '98 E46 318i Sedan
Quote:

I changed my guides about a month ago since i had this issue but the hardest thing about the whole job is regulating the motor to the correct position... i spent about 1.5hours trying different postitions etc and its still not aligned 100%... The DIY on here shows how they did it but its so hard getting it right - i have to keep trying one day.. it works fine just doesnt sit quite flush atm. The worst DIY ive done yet...
Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
fgin

My Ride: e46 facelift
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurita_31 View Post
I changed my guides about a month ago since i had this issue but the hardest thing about the whole job is regulating the motor to the correct position... i spent about 1.5hours trying different postitions etc and its still not aligned 100%... The DIY on here shows how they did it but its so hard getting it right - i have to keep trying one day.. it works fine just doesnt sit quite flush atm. The worst DIY ive done yet...
Did it work fine before you changed the guides ? Did you remove the glass? Before I fitted it back I closed the roof and once it stopped at the correct position then fitted the glass to stay flush with the roof. The glass can be adjusted to stay flush before you tighten the the torx screws. Nothing more was needed. However if you need to reinitialize the roof motor then press and hold the switch in ”lift” for at least 15 seconds after it has reached the top. In case it doesnt lift up fully, then do the same and hold it for 15 secs and once it reaches the top then hold it for 1 more sec. That's it, done!
fgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:10 AM   #8
laurita_31

My Ride: '98 E46 318i Sedan
Quote:
Did it work fine before you changed the guides ? Did you remove the glass? Before I fitted it back I closed the roof and once it stopped at the correct position then fitted the glass to stay flush with the roof. The glass can be adjusted to stay flush before you tighten the the torx screws. Nothing more was needed. However if you need to reinitialize the roof motor then press and hold the switch in ”lift” for at least 15 seconds after it has reached the top. In case it doesnt lift up fully, then do the same and hold it for 15 secs and once it reaches the top then hold it for 1 more sec. That's it, done!
No my old motor burned out so i had to buy a new one. I removed the glass and changed the guides put it all together again but regulating the motor to do the right movement is soooo hard! You have to loosen the torx screws and and turn the manual control for the motor then i held the button for 15 secons - did this process many many times! It is really painful actually...
Old 11-06-2011, 03:50 AM   #9
///Pulo

My Ride: 330CI///M individual
Send a message via Skype™ to ///Pulo
i think i was quite lucky with my old car... i opened the sunroof every single time i got in the car.. never had one issue!
Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Pulo View Post
i think i was quite lucky with my old car... i opened the sunroof every single time i got in the car.. never had one issue!
Plus one ...*touches wood*

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #11
BMW//Blonde

My Ride: 330ci
New cassette will set you back at least a grand that was the case with my e36 318i and good luck finding anyone in the country to install it. Shonkiest piece of work on the entire 3 series the BMW sunroof is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAIL View Post
the real question is "do you drive an f-car?"

on that note i drove a 355 f1 gts the other day......i did chap laps all day trying to find a red vert.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4NOOK View Post
No dice, i thought she dosen't roll with silver arrows, only maranello up in this vag!
BMW//Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
shannon1

My Ride: 2001, 318i
Sometimes I'm actually glad I don't have a sunroof.

shannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
gueste46
Banned User

You know, with digital technology today there is no reason why we don't post a video of problems like this. Not only would it make it easier to see and diagnose, but I could also say "Gee, I'm glad I don't have that problem on my car."

It also gives more members like me, who have no clue, an opportunity to give an opinion

Last edited by gueste46; 11-06-2011 at 03:20 PM.
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #14
peter.210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
You know, with digital technology today there is no reason why we don't post a video of problems like this. Not only would it make it easier to see and diagnose, but I could also say "Gee, I'm glad I don't have that problem on my car."

It also gives more members like me, who have no clue, an opportunity to give an opinion

U kno what, thats a great idea. Ill do it when i get home this afternoon
Old 11-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
gueste46
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.210 View Post
U kno what, thats a great idea. Ill do it when i get home this afternoon
I am glad to see that you look beyond the jokes and get the point
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #16
steve.k

My Ride: 05' 325Ci, 13' WRX
mine does the same thing. the clips holding the sun shade are fkd and it jams up when going back. i had to pull the sunroof forward at the same time as pressing the button to bring it back to the closed position. i only tilt it up and down now..... There is a good DIY on replacing the clips. i think i will just take out the sun shade and the clips all together.
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #17
peter.210

ok so i finally got a chance to take some videos and pics of whats going on. sorry for the delay, been busy with work.

Videos
opening sunroof

tilting sunroof open

closing sunroof

Pics
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...feeb4d&theater

there is a description under the pic

thanks guys
Old 11-14-2011, 03:13 AM   #18
///Pulo

My Ride: 330CI///M individual
Send a message via Skype™ to ///Pulo
fek that doesnt sound healthy
Old 11-14-2011, 05:01 AM   #19
peter.210

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Pulo View Post
fek that doesnt sound healthy
yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxx View Post
My god man, that sounds horrid. Sounds like your motors jamming up or something..
one rail doesnt want to move i think so causing the motor to make that sound. been told need a new cassette lol
Old 11-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #20
Shannon C

My Ride: Fern Green 318i exec
Take the glass off and have a look around the cassette tracks for anything that's broken or bent.

LED Tails / LED Plate Lights / LED Interior Lights / Angel Eyes / Smoked Corners / Smoked Side Indicators / Low beams - Narva Arctic Blue / High beams - Narva Plus 50 / Gauge Rings / Black Grille / Roof Spoiler / Boot Lip Spolier / Licence Plate Holder Deleted / Tinted windows / Style 44 Wheels/Coilovers.
Shannon C is offline   Reply With Quote